.Zip decompression

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I followed someone's advice, and killed Stuffit Expander, because BOMarchive helper was supposed to be able to decompress files. But now I find out that it can't. Any suggestions? I'd rather not download Expander again.

BTW, I can't find the utility on my Dad's G4, running 10.3. Didn't it used to reside in the Utilities folder?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    ?? Why don't you want to download Expander?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

?? Why don't you want to download Expander?

Because my computer isn't online, and I'm guessing that it isn't possible to fit it onto a 4MB Flash drive. Unless it's a small app...?

Where is it located on the computer?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The issue is moot now (I transfered the app), but this still bugs me: When I have a .zip file with a "zipper" icon, it will decompress in a little window, much like the way .dmg files mount in Panther. But .zip files with the ugly stuffit icon need stuffit.

EDIT: Nevermind, those were .sit
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The issue is moot now (I transfered the app), but this still bugs me: When I have a .zip file with a "zipper" icon, it will decompress in a little window, much like the way .dmg files mount in Panther. But .zip files with the ugly stuffit icon need stuffit.

EDIT: Nevermind, those were .sit

Even if the file that you had mistaken for a ZIP file were indeed a ZIP file, you can still unZIP it using the Finder. Do a "Get Info" on the file. Change the application to BOMArchiveHelper.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Yah, go with Mr. Me on this one.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I had to stop using the built in BOM or whatever the hell it is. It doesn't support password protected archives. It just barfs up an error that the archive could not be opened. Stuffit for me.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I had to stop using the built in BOM or whatever the hell it is. It doesn't support password protected archives. It just barfs up an error that the archive could not be opened. Stuffit for me.

If you tell it to open with BOMarchivehelper, it zips it a second time, not decompress it. You'll end up with file.sit.zip, not a decompressed file.sit.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

If you tell it to open with BOMarchivehelper, it zips it a second time, not decompress it. You'll end up with file.sit.zip, not a decompressed file.sit.

I don't think I explained myself right. I would get password protected ZIP files. In Panther the Finder/BOM takes over the responsibility of decompressing the archives. But it cannot handle decompressing ZIP archives that are password protected. I have to use Stuffit Expander instead because that allows me decompress archives that are password protected.

• Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I don't think I explained myself right. I would get password protected ZIP files. In Panther the Finder/BOM takes over the responsibility of decompressing the archives. But it cannot handle decompressing ZIP archives that are password protected. I have to use Stuffit Expander instead because that allows me decompress archives that are password protected.

I meant to quote Mr. Me. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Transferring my music from PC to Mac...without wanting to get transfer software...if I put it all on data CDs and zipped them for just a little bit more room with WinZip (Or whatever the default is in Windows XP) can I decompress it without downloading anything special?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Ummm...the BOMarchivehelper decompresses zip files...not sit files. sit is a proprietary format created and owned by Allume Software (formerly Aladdin). I'm afraid you need Stuffit Expander for any .sit files.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Transferring my music from PC to Mac...without wanting to get transfer software...if I put it all on data CDs and zipped them for just a little bit more room with WinZip (Or whatever the default is in Windows XP) can I decompress it without downloading anything special?

As long as you are using the zip format (and not one of the new zip + encryption formats that are starting to appear on Windows... no standardization in that yet), yes, those files will open easily on 10.3 without any additional software.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

As long as you are using the zip format (and not one of the new zip + encryption formats that are starting to appear on Windows... no standardization in that yet), yes, those files will open easily on 10.3 without any additional software.

Thanks Karl!