Question about OSX from a pc user...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What happens when you're in a program, like Photoshop, which has multiple windows (Tools, The picture, and some other crap), what happens when you minimize the program. Do they all go away? How do you get them back?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    You don't minimize programs, you minimize windows within the program. The palettes etc. stay there just as they should. They will go away when you switch to another program or hide the program, and come back when you return to the program.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Say, I'm sitting here with Photoshop open. I decide to check my mail, so I start AOL. How would I get back to photoshop?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Click its icon in the Dock.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Say, I'm sitting here with Photoshop open. I decide to check my mail, so I start AOL. How would I get back to photoshop?

There are a few ways. You can click the dock icon. You can cmd+tab to it. If it's not hidden, you can Expose all windows and click or if you can see the window, you can just click there too.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    when you hit minimize, the window flys to the bottom right at the dock, with a little picture showing what the window looks like. Kinda like how in Windows the item is on the task bar, of course, it's cooler looking cause it shows what the window looks like, visual instead of textual. OR, when you hit the X button and just close the window, the application is still actually open, you know the app is still open because there is a small black arrow under the app picture in the dock, so when you hit the icon again it opens a fresh window. If you minimized the window, and you hit the original icon on the dock, the program window will zoom back up again. A bit confusing sounding, but it's actually quite simple and easy, if you can see it. O, and if you didn't have the program in the dock, and you started it, the icon will appear in the dock... man, you need to just experience it to get it, it's kinda hard to explain...
  • Reply 6 of 36
    I just shot a video (on my measly old dual 500 G4) that should showcase a few things mentioned here. I ran through it pretty quickly and I goofed up a couple times, but I think the methods are pretty clear.

Minimizing and App-switching (QuickTime movie, probably requires version 6 or higher)

* You can minimize windows for an app individually.

* You can minimize all windows for an app at the same time.

* You restore app windows from minimized states individually.

* You can hide an app by selecting Hide from the app's main menu.

* You can hide an app by choosing Hide from the app's Dock icon menu.

* You can hide an app while apple-tabbing by pressing the H key.

* When Photoshop isn't in front (or is hidden), it's palettes are hidden.

* You can use Exposé to choose windows from all non-hidden apps.

* You can narrow the windows shown by Exposé by tabbing through the non-hidden apps.

I hope this helps some. If anyone has any suggestions for another video I should shoot, just let me know.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Is that playing faster or are you just on coke?

Movie that is slower with audio commentary...then we can make that THE tool to explain the difference between application centric and windows centric ways of manipulation of apps.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Is that realtime or are you just on coke?

More like I'm sleep deprived. Is it really already past 7 AM here?!

Actually, when I'm really in the zone and blazing away at my work, I really do switch through my apps like that. It either scares the shit out of onlookers or if stupefies them.

Audio commentary might not be a bad idea. I'll get back to you on that one after thinking through it a bit.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Wow. A couple of questions brad.

That can´t be the visualisation plug in that came with iTunes. Where did you get that?

And when you hide PS its dock icon become sort of dimmed. How?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

That can´t be the visualisation plug in that came with iTunes. Where did you get that?

G-Force

Quote:

That's a hidden feature that's been in the Dock for over three years now... since the Public Beta. I've used it since we first discovered it those many years ago. Honestly, I can't stand to use a Dock without it! You can either play with the defaults command in the Terminal or you can use TinkerTool to tell the Dock to dim hidden apps.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

A hidden feature you can enable via "defaults" or TinkerTool if you like silly GUIs.

EDIT: echo echo echo
  • Reply 12 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Is that playing faster or are you just on coke?

He's just a Power User®.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I just shot a video (on my measly old dual 500 G4) that should showcase a few things mentioned here. I ran through it pretty quickly and I goofed up a couple times, but I think the methods are pretty clear.

Minimizing and App-switching (QuickTime movie, probably requires version 6 or higher)

* You can minimize windows for an app individually.

* You can minimize all windows for an app at the same time.

* You restore app windows from minimized states individually.

* You can hide an app by selecting Hide from the app's main menu.

* You can hide an app by choosing Hide from the app's Dock icon menu.

* You can hide an app while apple-tabbing by pressing the H key.

* When Photoshop isn't in front (or is hidden), it's palettes are hidden.

* You can use Exposé to choose windows from all non-hidden apps.

* You can narrow the windows shown by Exposé by tabbing through the non-hidden apps.

I hope this helps some. If anyone has any suggestions for another video I should shoot, just let me know.

Wow. That really help! (A little fast, though )

BTW, I see you go to NCSU. I live about an hour from there in Greensboro!
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Ok, um, new question. For someone who can make a movie (Like what Brad did), can you open photoshop (1 picture), iChat (with a couple ims), and finder, and just keep switching between them?
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Sure.

Finder with a window? Or empty?

Switching how? Apple-tabbing or using Exposé-tabbing?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Finder, just browsing the Documents folder of something.

Switching- First time, clicking their icon in the dock, but then doing the tab thing, then expose (oh yeah, and try and do iot a little slower )
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Heh. I'm on it.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    You just know Brad is gonna make the whole thing with the shift key pressed!!!

Oh and Brad, what do you use to record the screens ?
  • Reply 19 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

You just know Brad is gonna make the whole thing with the shift key pressed!!!

Oh and Brad, what do you use to record the screens ?

I'm going to guess Snapz Pro X by wonderful Ambrosia software.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

I'm going to guess Snapz Pro X by wonderful Ambrosia software.

Yup.

Oh, and, sorry about earlier. It looks like the sleep deprivation got the best of me and wouldn't let me stay up any longer.

Here's the new video:

App switching with Dock, Apple-Tab, and Exposé

Again, let me reiterate that all of this is being accomplished on a more than three-year-old Mac. Nearly all of the screen animations you see are smooth as butter with a full 30+ FPS. No video can truly do it justice. I myself am still quite astounded that Apple has done all this with its Quartz technology.

Some highlights:

* Minimizing and restoring windows

* Switching apps by clicking Dock icons

* Icon, List, and Column view in the Finder

* Dragging files back and forth with spring-loaded folders in the Finder

* Moving/minimizing background windows without bringing them forward

* Opening a file path from the title of a window

* Apple-tab to show list of and cycle apps

* Apple-tab to show list of and then using the mouse to select the app (no clicking; the app switcher picks up on mouseover events)

* Apple-tab to show list of and pressing H to hide apps (not shown: you can press Q to quit running apps)

* Using Exposé to choose windows

* Using Exposé to cycle between visible (not hidden) apps

* Using Exposé to temporarily hide all windows and show the desktop

* Slow motion with Exposé everything and minimizing

I may also make a movie showing off how beautifully drag-and-drop is integrated into Exposé (though, that may be veering a little off-topic). I didn't do an audio commentary on this one because I don't have my microphone handy (I'm traveling over winter break).