What happened to my minimize?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm quite new at this whole Mac thing, having only just converted from 11 years on Windows 4 days ago.

So far I'm absolutely thrilled with my new Powerbook. I love OS X and couldn't see myself going back to Windows again.

But I've encountered a minor problem. Somehow, and I have no idea how, my Panther no longer makes that really cool minimize animation. Rather the window just moves in a straight line, while becoming smaller, down to the dock.

What did I do?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You changed your dock minimize preference to scale instead of genie. In your system preferences, go to Dock.

Change "minimize using" to genie.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    then hold shift next time you minimise your window or use expose.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thank you Torifile! You saved my "Look what toy I've gotten"-demonstration that I'm doing for my brother tomorrow
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Other than Genie, what effects are there?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There's Genie and Scale which are available in the default OS X installation. Scale, as you may have guessed, just scales the window instead of using a cool effect. A third effect, called "Suck In," is part of OS X but not made available except through various programs such as TinkerTool. The "suck in" effect pulls the corner of the window first and moves diagonally until the entire window is in the dock. It's pretty cool.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

A third effect, called "Suck In," is part of OS X but not made available except through various programs such as TinkerTool. The "suck in" effect pulls the corner of the window first and moves diagonally until the entire window is in the dock. It's pretty cool.

Ah. I didn't realize Apple still kept that one hidden. I was under the impression they exposed this effect (and changed its name to something less cumbersome) for Panther.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Ah. I didn't realize Apple still kept that one hidden. I was under the impression they exposed this effect (and changed its name to something less cumbersome) for Panther.

Nope. But there are quite a few things still hidden in OS X. Head over to Mac OS X hints to see more.