Alright. . . Time for opinions on Return of The King

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think that by now a number of us have seen it, and the rest of us with any inclination to see it will probably do so pretty soon.

My verdict: Two stars.

A three and a half hour soap opera with occaisonal swordplay. Ug. Throw in a little bit of a love triangle, a lot of gratutitous crying, and a Viggo Mortensen's poorly executed royal-shakespearian accent and boom. . . Return of the King. The good parts were just a bit too overshadowed by melodramatic scenes and the dragged-out closure.

Am I the only one who didn't like it? I will add, though, that I really liked the second and third Matrix movies, and apparently I'm weird because I liked 2010 more than 2001.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I loved it. 6 stars.

Of course I also rarely dislike movies. I think it takes too much effort to do so. If I pay the money I might as well just enjoy it.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I didn't think it was that bad, I did however find it painfully slow toward the end. I know it is a fictional movie but I was bothered by them finding refuge on a rock while liquid rock flows around them...but yet I wasn't bothered by any magical creatures.

I don't get why frodo had to leave at the end of the movie? I had other questions but as I believe they are stupid I will ask someone else
  • Reply 3 of 84
    too much fat hobbits crying, not enough sword tomfoolery
  • Reply 4 of 84
    I agree with BR in this thread, and the other thread.

I loved the movie, there were a couple of overly soppy moments, and a couple noticeable changes from the book(that probably shouldn't have been changed) I'd imagine the extended edition RoTK will be far superior to the theatrical release.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think that by now a number of us have seen it, and the rest of us with any inclination to see it will probably do so pretty soon.

My verdict: Two stars.

A three and a half hour soap opera with occaisonal swordplay. Ug. Throw in a little bit of a love triangle, a lot of gratutitous crying, and a Viggo Mortensen's poorly executed royal-shakespearian accent and boom. . . Return of the King. The good parts were just a bit too overshadowed by melodramatic scenes and the dragged-out closure.

Am I the only one who didn't like it? I will add, though, that I really liked the second and third Matrix movies, and apparently I'm weird because I liked 2010 more than 2001.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=35340

Though I wouldn't go as far as 2 stars...out of how many? I'd give it a straight "B" in current form. I'd give TTT an A- and FotR an A. And no way on The Matrix sequels...blech.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    I can't imagine an extended edition of Return of the King.

But. . . now that I think of it, I would probably really enjoy the movie if I were tanked.

Jon. . . $60 case of Friexenet at Rodmans in NW. Yeeha.

edit:

I liked the gratuitous sci-fi of the Matrix series to the extent that the silly parts didn't bother me. But one thing I hate is watching men cry. There was a plenty of it in RotK. I did like the first two. Hence the two stars.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Quote:

I can't imagine an extended edition of Return of the King.

But. . . now that I think of it, I would probably really enjoy the movie if I were tanked.

Jon. . . $60 case of Friexenet at Rodmans in NW. Yeeha.

i could stand seeing the middle extended, but by christ if on the dvd they make the ending any longer i'll vomit. it was like a bleedin' ted nugent song, just end it already!

the middle two and half hours are five stars, the ending is one star, & the beginning 3 stars.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i could stand seeing the middle extended, but by christ if on the dvd they make the ending any longer i'll vomit. it was like a bleedin' ted nugent song, just end it already!

the middle two and half hours are five stars, the ending is one star, & the beginning 3 stars.

You know they're not going to take away any significant portions of the theater version, so that's disappointing. It just seems like they chose all the wrong bit parts to put in. The whole background about Deagol and Smeagol was unnecessary. The Hobbits were 30 year old adults, not little crying babies... The reunion at the end was awful. They need to trim the crap out and put the worthy stuff in...somehow.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Actually in the book Frodo was in his 50's and the rest were probably similar... and they cried a lot in that book. Hell, Sam starts crying when Gandalf tells him he'll get to see Elves when he and Frodo leave the Shire.

The Deagol/Smeagol thing was an utter waste of time, and really pissed me off knowing they cut the Saruman scenes in favor of it. I really call that decision into question.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

The Deagol/Smeagol thing was an utter waste of time, and really pissed me off knowing they cut the Saruman scenes in favor of it. I really call that decision into question.

As someone that hasn't read the books, I like the Deagol/Smeagol scene. It helped reenforce the fact that Smeagol had killed for the ring and would do so again when given the chance.

But I agree with the consensus that all the crying was kinda lame. And the ending was way too long. It should have ended with Sam and Frodo on Mt. Dung.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    I'd give it an A- as well and now proclaim this Trilogy to be the best you can buy.

My only problems were based around the lack of dialogue. Tolkien was a Master Wordsmith and unfortunately the series is a little dumbed down with "impassioned" speeches in lieu of crafty dialogue.

I expected the Witchking battle to have more power but it fell a little flat.

A nice suprise was King Thoeden and his speech before the battle as he touched his sword to the spears of his soldiers. That was nice.

The love story just really lost traction. I'm sure Women love it but it interfered in RotK a little too much.

As always I expect the EE version to add a bit more polish to the storyline. That's the version for the aficionado.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

My only problems were based around the lack of dialogue. Tolkien was a Master Wordsmith and unfortunately the series is a little dumbed down with "impassioned" speeches in lieu of crafty dialogue.

This is always the problem of making movies out of great books.

In the Two Towers commentary track on the extended edition you get a lot of great discussion between Peter Jackson and the writers about the process of adapting that massive hunk of prose to film. I gained an immense amount of respect for their work just listening to that. Highly recommended for those who thought they took their task lightly; you don't spend ~7 years of your life on something you do not love dearly.

And undoubtedly the best trilogy ever made. There is no competition.

Star Wars (IV-VI)? No way. "Luke, you make Elijah Wood look like DeNiro."

Godfather? Nope, installment 3 killed it deader than Sonny and Freido combined. "Daddy!? (why did you let me ruin a legendary franchise?)"

Indiana Jones? Temple of Suck My Balls. When you have to rely on the Goonies kid with the gadgets to inject life into your made-for-TBS plot, you're screwed.

Die Hard? Best action trilogy of all time, but it's Die Hard. I love them, but it's the same way I like double cheeseburgers; it's just not good for me.

Austin Powers? Like Die Hard it is rarely mentioned in the trilogy list. Funny, but has gotten progressively worse.

The Terminator? Like Godfather, the third installment killed it. I and II were great, III was lame.

Matrix? If people are still watching these in 10 years, we'll talk about it being a Top 5 trilogy. But they won't be because it's weak and melodramatic. I liked Larry F better as the cowboy in Pee Wee's Playhouse; his Morpheus shit got real tired halfway through Reloaded. (Why not just ignore the fact that there was a new oracle? Don't waste 10 minutes of my ****ing life jerking off and not providing an answer!)
  • Reply 13 of 84
    Perfect 10.

I absolutely loved the film and fully look forward to the release of the Extended Edition DVD. Peter Jackson and his team did a marvelous adaptation of the books to film.

Gush.

Gush.

Gush.

Don't even get me started.

I look forward to seeing the bits that were left out of ROTK, stuff like Grima Wormtongue tossing Saruman's Palantir stone down from Orthanc. I'd like to see the Hobbits return to the Shire to find it overrun by Sharky (Saruman)...hope they shot that.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

This is always the problem of making movies out of great books.

In the Two Towers commentary track on the extended edition you get a lot of great discussion between Peter Jackson and the writers about the process of adapting that massive hunk of prose to film. I gained an immense amount of respect for their work just listening to that. Highly recommended for those who thought they took their task lightly; you don't spend ~7 years of your life on something you do not love dearly.

\\

Every time I watch any special features on the extended editions I gain a tremendous amount of respect for those cats. they really were dedicated to this(these) movie(s), and they put in a lot of man-hours and hard work to make it a reality.

Like Andy serckis(sp?) as smeagol/gollum, that's just incredible, what a dedicated actor.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Just got back from watching it... and I agree that the ending was drawn out and sappy..

My problem with it though, was the one scene that I think should have been cut.... when that elf all of a sudden turned into a power ranger and climbed all over the elephant. It seemed so overdone and "fake"... they went to such lengths to make everything seem so realistic, even in its fantasy.... and then all of a sudden this guy is like spidey or something...ugh

other than that, it was very well done. Best of the 3 in my eyes....

i'd give it 4.5 / 5
  • Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I'd like to see the Hobbits return to the Shire to find it overrun by Sharky (Saruman)...hope they shot that.

they didn't(as far as I know)

while that whole part of the book contains some important things(pippin and merry becoming badasses in the shire) I always felt it was kind of 'tacked on' especially how they use that elvin magic powder to regrow the shire after they oust saruman and co.

I think I remember hearing that peter jackson felt the same way, it especially wouldn't work in the movie, because there was already like 8 climactic 'ending' scenes, so tacking on another (somewhat, by shire reckoning) epic battle, after all the weepy eyed coronations and proclamations and what not, would be WEAK.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I don't get why frodo had to leave at the end of the movie?

Among other things, part of the WitchKing's blade remained in his wound and would never heal. His life was difficult and his only relief was to live among the elves.

This is not exactly correct, but I have given my books to my sister, and can't document this explanation now.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    I just returned from seeing it, and what a great film it is. I heard the first cut was 4.5 hours long, and hopefully all that will be included in the extended edition!
  • Reply 19 of 84
    Just a little survey. . .

How many of you guys that loved the movie have cats?
  • Reply 20 of 84
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Just a little survey. . .

How many of you guys that loved the movie have cats?

I hate cats. I had a cat once though...for dinner. A little gamey though.