Best Router/switch for the Mac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend a router that is easy to set up? I bought a Macsense PalmRouter which says its for mac and pc, but the big thick instruction booklet inside has no mac instructions whatsoever. Anyway, it requires some kind of web configuration thru the browser, but I have been unable to connect to the internet at all or network the two computers. I am wondering if there are other kinds (that involve software installation) and would be easier to set up. I don't need to be wireless, and I'm looking to spend under $100 if possible.

Any suggestions or personal experiences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>Can anyone recommend a router that is easy to set up? I bought a Macsense PalmRouter which says its for mac and pc, but the big thick instruction booklet inside has no mac instructions whatsoever. Anyway, it requires some kind of web configuration thru the browser, but I have been unable to connect to the internet at all or network the two computers. I am wondering if there are other kinds (that involve software installation) and would be easier to set up. I don't need to be wireless, and I'm looking to spend under $100 if possible.

Any suggestions or personal experiences?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Linksys routers are fairly easy to set up.

But it should be possible to get the one you've got now going. Basic idea is this:

The back of your router probably has two, or four, or more Ethernet jacks all in a row, and one off by itself.

Plug your broadband connection into the router (or not, if you're not using broadband). The proper jack is the one all by itself.

Plug your other computer(s) into the ports marked 1,2,3,4, etc. which should be in a row.

That's the physical setup. The router has a small computer in it, which is running basically two programs: a network traffic-cop program (doing routing), and a webserver. The webserver has one page, which is the configuration page. That's what the instructions are asking you to point to - not a website out on the Internet somewhere, but the website running on your router.

The address on my Linksys router is <a href="http://192.168.1.1."; target="_blank">http://192.168.1.1.</a>; I'm not sure what it is on yours, but it's probably similar, and it's certainly listed in the instructions.

Once you get to the web configuration, follow the instructions in your manual, whatever they are.

These probably aren't massively helpful pointers, but it's the basic idea. Your manual doesn't have Mac-specific instructions because there's not really much to set up on your Mac. Just set the network preferences to "Use DHCP", and the rest probably takes care of itself.

Just ask back here if you need any more specific advice.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4:

<strong>

The address on my Linksys router is <a href="http://192.168.1.1."; target="_blank">http://192.168.1.1.</a>; I'm not sure what it is on yours, but it's probably similar, and it's certainly listed in the instructions.

Once you get to the web configuration, follow the instructions in your manual, whatever they are.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

do they all work the same way? I thought there was some kind that required software...

anyway, i did set up the DHCP and everything properly and got onto the setup page-- it was the same as yours: 192.168.1.1. the problem is that i dont know the DNS, and i tired calling my ISP (verizon DSL) and they said they dont have that information to give out and that im not authorized to have it anyway.

i was hoping there would be another way to get around this.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I would prefer Netgear. Super easy to set up. Their cases are made by metal rather than the cheap plastic that Linksys routers use.

Linksys is okay but when comes to firmware update this can be 'disasterious'
  • Reply 4 of 17

<strong>

do they all work the same way? I thought there was some kind that required software...

anyway, i did set up the DHCP and everything properly and got onto the setup page-- it was the same as yours: 192.168.1.1. the problem is that i dont know the DNS, and i tired calling my ISP (verizon DSL) and they said they dont have that information to give out and that im not authorized to have it anyway.

i was hoping there would be another way to get around this.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't need to know the DNS when setting up my router - just left it blank in my network preferences, and it worked okay anyway.

You *might* be set to go with it just plugged into the DSL and your computers plugged into it. Have you tried setting your network preferences to 'Use DHCP', maybe rebooting, and seeing if it works? There might not be anything else to do.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I assume your ISP uses DHCP (most ISPs do these days). Your router should already be set up for DHCP, but check the router configuration anyways. If your router is already configured to use DHCP, I suspect that you have a name server (DNS) problem. It's pretty typical in my experience. Test for this by launching a "Terminal" in OS X (I don't use OS 9) and running the following command:

ping 141.211.2.200

If this just hangs, then your problem is more involved. Press "Ctrl-C" to kill it, reply back, and we'll go from there.

If the ping outputs something like:

64 bytes from 141.211.2.200: ...

Then you have a name server (DNS) problem, and your computer was connecting to the Internet all this time without you knowing it. In Mac OS X, open up System Preferences-&gt;Network. Choose "Built-Ethernet" in the "Show" drop down list. Enter the following under Domain Name Servers:

If this does not work, reply back, and we'll go from there.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 17
    If you want airport, I would suggest getting the Linksys Etherfast wireless 4 port router, which is great, and a good cheaper alternative to the Apple Base station. However, appletalk doesn't work from a wireless computer to a wired computer/printer.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    This website has lots of info and reviews:

<a href="http://www.practicallynetworked.com"; target="_blank">http://www.practicallynetworked.com</a>;

I have a couple of the Linksys Cable/DSL routers (home and office) and they work great.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Brian J.:

<strong>I assume your ISP uses DHCP (most ISPs do these days). Your router should already be set up for DHCP, but check the router configuration anyways. If your router is already configured to use DHCP, I suspect that you have a name server (DNS) problem. It's pretty typical in my experience. Test for this by launching a "Terminal" in OS X (I don't use OS 9) and running the following command:

ping 141.211.2.200

If this just hangs, then your problem is more involved. Press "Ctrl-C" to kill it, reply back, and we'll go from there.

If the ping outputs something like:

Then you have a name server (DNS) problem, and your computer was connecting to the Internet all this time without you knowing it. In Mac OS X, open up System Preferences-&gt;Network. Choose "Built-Ethernet" in the "Show" drop down list. Enter the following under Domain Name Servers:

If this does not work, reply back, and we'll go from there.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi,

i was actually trying it from the older G3 which

is only running. i have only been using OS X for 4 days, and i dont feel comfortable enough yet messing with it. i needed help just getting on to the internet with X, not knowing i had to use PPPoe. anyway, on the G3, i had to put in the settings manually that verizon gave me. on the configuration screen for the router, i tried leaving the DNS info blank, but it had all zeros in the boxes and i couldnt connect. i suspect the imac running OS X may be easier to set up, but i have no idea what launching a "terminal" even means. i'll take another crack at it and see how it goes. thanks for yor suggestions. i'll report back with my progress, if any.
  • Reply 9 of 17

<strong>

on the configuration screen for the router, i tried leaving the DNS info blank, but it had all zeros in the boxes and i couldnt connect. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, DNS problems are very easy to solve. Basically, the way DNS works, you can use anybody's name server. You don't have to use the ones that Verizon provides for you (although it'd be nice if they did since they are an ISP). Soooo, just enter the following IP addresses for your domain name servers:

If DNS is your only problem, that should fix it.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 17

<strong>

just enter the following IP addresses for your domain name servers:

If DNS is your only problem, that should fix it.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

BrianJ,

thanks so much. anyway, i entered in those numbers and it still wouldnt work. so on the set up page, i kept playing with other stuff too. finally i checked off the PPPoE box on the bottom and put in my name/password, and hit connect... and it worked! (i only accomplished this 5 minutes ago, and thought i should tell you.) now im not sure if i have to go to the set up page and connect from there everytime...or can i just launch a browser and &lt;boom&gt; im on? i guess i can just disconnect and find out...

(on the router's set up page, should i leave the "connect on demand" option on 'enable' or 'disable'?)

[just took a 5 minutes break] ok, i was going to tell you i cant connect thru the imac running OS X, but i just did it. i had to turn PPPoe off, then make appletalk active. this was confusing, since i had to turn PPPoe "ON" in the router's set up page, so i didnt think i should turn it off in the imac's network settings. (and the powerbook running 8.6 doesnt even have any PPPoe options!) anyway, im not sure i completely understand what i did or why i did it, but its working. now im afraid to turn it all off...hahaha!

anyway, thanks. this thing was really a pain in the butt. i am owing it all to you, since you gave me the confidence to follow this thing thru instead of throwingthe router out the window. i had really given up.

...now how do i make these macs communicate with each other to swap files?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    That's great to hear. I'm glad to help (even if was just inspiration). I thought it'd be a shame to buy another router.

[quote]<strong>

(on the router's set up page, should i leave the "connect on demand" option on 'enable' or 'disable'?)

I think you should try both and see what happens.

[quote]<strong>

anyway, im not sure i completely understand what i did or why i did it, but its working. now im afraid to turn it all off...hahaha!

I do that all the time. First, I get something working. Then, several months later, I figure out why it worked in the first place,

[quote]<strong>

...now how do i make these macs communicate with each other to swap files?

I have only owned one Mac in my life (an iBook that I bought six months ago), so I know very little about making them talk to each other. Can someone point Mac's Girl in the right direction?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    To start with: what operating systems are they using? 9? X? 8.6?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4:

<strong>To start with: what operating systems are they using? 9? X? 8.6?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i have a powerbook g3 wallstreet running 8.6 and an imac g4 running X. it must be possible...somehow, no?
  • Reply 14 of 17

<strong>That's great to hear. I'm glad to help (even if was just inspiration). I thought it'd be a shame to buy another router.

yeah, it seemed kind of no-frills, but for $49 i figured it may be worth a shot. i was thinking of returning it for a better brand, but this seems to be working for the time being. but heck, you were more than inspiration. you gave me the motivation to do it. and now that ive succeeded, i dont feel like that much of a moron anymore. hehe. even my husband thinks im really smart--ha!--even though i told him i got help from a very nice person.

btw, do you think that the NAT firewall thats built into the router is sufficient, or should i try to get some other hardware or software firewall protection as well? i really dont have anything anyone would want to steal, and i keep my financial records on paper.
  • Reply 15 of 17

<strong>

btw, do you think that the NAT firewall thats built into the router is sufficient, or should i try to get some other hardware or software firewall protection as well? i really dont have anything anyone would want to steal, and i keep my financial records on paper.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not a security expert, but you should be fine with your router's firewall. With NAT enabled, and without port forwarding enabled (which it isn't unless you did something special), you should have a pretty secure network. Basically, with your setup, you can get out to the Internet, but hackers can't get into your network.
  • Reply 16 of 17

<strong>this was confusing, since i had to turn PPPoe "ON" in the router's set up page, so i didnt think i should turn it off in the imac's network settings.</strong><hr></blockquote>

PPPoE just means "PPP over Ethernet". It's kinda like what regular modems use to connect to the internet, except it uses Ethernet (which is why they call it PPP over Ethernet ). Anyway, the router is what actually talks to the ISP, and since your ISP uses PPPoE, your router has to have it turned on. Now everything that's plugged into the router, other than the Cable/DSL modem, just uses regular TCP/IP (turning PPPoE into regular TCP/IP is one of the two main functions of the router). Since they're just speaking plain vanilla TCP/IP, PPPoE has to be turned off on the iMac and PowerBook. Make sense? Oh, and the PowerBook didn't have a PPPoE option because Apple didn't make it part of the OS until OS X, so if for some reason you need to get your PowerBook online without using your router, you'll have to install all that special software that your ISP gave you. Let me know if I just made anything more confusing.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Whisper:

<strong>

PPPoE just means "PPP over Ethernet". It's kinda like what regular modems use to connect to the internet, except it uses Ethernet (which is why they call it PPP over Ethernet ). Anyway, the router is what actually talks to the ISP, and since your ISP uses PPPoE, your router has to have it turned on. Now everything that's plugged into the router, other than the Cable/DSL modem, just uses regular TCP/IP (turning PPPoE into regular TCP/IP is one of the two main functions of the router). Since they're just speaking plain vanilla TCP/IP, PPPoE has to be turned off on the iMac and PowerBook. Make sense? Oh, and the PowerBook didn't have a PPPoE option because Apple didn't make it part of the OS until OS X, so if for some reason you need to get your PowerBook online without using your router, you'll have to install all that special software that your ISP gave you. Let me know if I just made anything more confusing. </strong><hr></blockquote>

nope not confusing. it all makes sense. thanks. i experimented with getting online first thru the router with the powerbook, since i knew the old OS was going to be tougher than X. after i got online with both macs, i still couldnt get the macs to access each other's files for a while. then i realized someone had turned off vital file sharing extensions (it honestly wasnt me!), control panels, and some were entirely missing! i still cant locate the "users and groups" control panel (i dont even know what it does) but it's missing. i cant find it on the system disks either. anyway, despite 2-3 days of a royal headache, it all works now. i probably couldnt tell you why or how...but it just does! lol.

now...does the ISP usually know if youre hooked up to two computers? &lt;wink&gt;