980 Postponed? 970fx to Make 3.2 gig?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Quote:

The SSOI-based 970FX will follow by September at up to 3.2GHz -- around the same time as the G5 iMac and Powerbook -- and 2005 will bring us the Holy Grail in the form of the PPC 980 which we are now told will employ SSOI technology from the start and is expected to offer price/performance ratios so far in excess of any x86-compatible processor now proposed for 2005 that Apple wold be very hard-pressed not to significantly grow its market share. More details will be available to us in the New Y

Okay. It's macosrumors. You know WHERE to go. But the IBM rumors have been like wildfire since the G5 was shipped. The IBM rumors are in sharp contrast to the moto' news blackout... Maybe IBM guys talk more..?

I was kinda looking forward to the 980 because of the extra performance per clock. 40% per clock. Add that to IBM's new compilers which are going to offer 40% extra...would have been a great 2nd half 2004.

If IBM are having success taking the 970 to 3.2...then great. I was gonna pass on Rev B in light of the 980 news.

But it looks like the 980 could be postponed to 2005..?

(I won't be able to comfortably afford a G5 until next June...so I'll have to wait til then. Afterall, mosr might be wrong(!), heh, and the 980 might be ready to go!)

I wonder, will Apple forgo any .13 bumps in favour of just waiting a little longer and go for cooler .09 chips in the 2.2-2.6 range with a 2.8 coming on down the line a little later?

Like somebody said elsewhere on the .net, 'I find it hard to believe that Steve jobs wouldn't want to toast a Pentium 4'FX' with a dual 2.6...' at San Fran' Macworld...

I guess Apple have to be careful not to kill G5 tower sales with 3 month shipping dates on bumped towers. I guess they'll ship immediately when they come? Late Jan'?

That's the way it's been for years now. Late Jan' bump. And I guess we can expect G5 bumps to come to iMac, Powerbook, X-Serve accordingly...month after month in Spring. Apple did a storm of updates last spring...I can see this happening again. The whole line will prob' be G5 except eMac and iBooks...come the end of 1st half 2004.

Lemon Bon Bon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    If true, which is a huge if with MOSR as usual, it's great news, and shows that the architecture has longer legs than other, more pessimistic rumors wants us to believe :-)
  • Reply 2 of 18
    We're back to seemingly good times with processors, which means MOSR is once again trotting out it's "Pentium killer in 6-12 months" act, which I recall back from the pre-G3 days.

Umm...yeah. This might be true, or might not be. My hope is that at MWSF Jobs intros some G5s up to at least 2.4GHz, and then again gives a brief sketch of the year ahead. It would be nice if twice a year Jobs gave us an idea of where we'd be 6 months and one year in the future. It would be a big change for Apple, but a good one.

Anyway, lets hope.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    One thing to remember about these rumors. They are not going to kill as many Mac sales as you would think, as folks and companies that buy Macs do so on a fairly regular basis. Faster is always better, and if you have faster today, and need it for your PhotoShop filters, then you make the educated decision. Hell, most Mac shops have a pretty good idea of Total Cost of Ownership and are not stingy. In fact, even with Jobs saying 3 GHz for summer 2004, the G5s are still selling well.

If IBM can deliver the goods - and it sure looks like it! - and you have an industry that uses 95% Micro$oft, and the same industry watches every move that IBM makes, the majority of sales that will be hurt will be those for replacement Wintel boxes; they won't, they'll wait. This market is also in limbo as they don't know what's coming down the pipe for Longhorn or Trustworthy Computing or whatever M$ has up their sleeve.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the rumor sites going full bore in the latter half of 2004 as such things would be less likely to hurt Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    First things first...nobody, and I mean NOBODY has any info on the 980 - if such a beast even exists.

IBM certainly has not talked about the 980. Its pure conjecture it would be called a 980 or even what its got. So its a bit silly to talk that the 980 has been postponed because its not even known if such a thing exists. It actually makes sense that the 970 is going to be around for a couple years in various incarnations - fx, gx, whatever.

And no, I don't count rumors of a 980 proof that one exists.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    i believe the macos rumours rumour.

and heres why:

do you all remember the "wild" rumour about ibm skipping the 0.09um process and going to 0.06um directly?

well i believe that the news of ibm implementing ssoi in the 0.09um 970's is the basis of that rumour.

in other words,no,ibm was not and is not moving to 0.065um yet but some of its advanced tehcnology that was SUPPOSED to be implememnted with the release of 0.065um processors is,namely ssoi.

so we shallsee but i believe it.

i also believe apple will put a 970 chip in a powerbook albiet exotic cooling will be needed but it will be done.

honestly folks,i believe the fruits of apple moving to ibm will not fully be realized until next year or the year after.

then mac software will be fully optimized for these new processors.

and i believe as i have said before that apple might catch up to AMD next year in clock speed.

you heard it here first.

prepare to be amazed!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Well, how do you know nobody has any info on the 980? How can you be certain the it doesn't exist?

What if the rumors are actually real info? You can't know, since it only rumors. But I'd say there is a higher probability of the 980's existence than that it doesn't exist. Okay, the model number/name might not be exactly '980', but it may well be, but it's awfully irrelevant. IBM has already said (Think they said it in at least one of the G5 promo videos released around WWDC times this year) they are developing the next processor in the 9xx family.

So since this upcoming beast is in existence, somebody must have any info on it!
  • Reply 7 of 18
  • Reply 8 of 18
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Well, how do you know nobody has any info on the 980? How can you be certain the it doesn't exist?

What if the rumors are actually real info? You can't know, since it only rumors. But I'd say there is a higher probability of the 980's existence than that it doesn't exist. Okay, the model number/name might not be exactly '980', but it may well be, but it's awfully irrelevant. IBM has already said (Think they said it in at least one of the G5 promo videos released around WWDC times this year) they are developing the next processor in the 9xx family.

So since this upcoming beast is in existence, somebody must have any info on it!

The next processor in the 9xx family could very well be the 970fx. It could also be the 990 or whatever

My point is only the comment about "postponed" is a bit ridiculous to say when its all conjecture at this point.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akac

First things first...nobody, and I mean NOBODY has any info on the 980 - if such a beast even exists.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. There is plenty of room for well-founded speculation about the 980 (or whatever it will be called) on the basis of the Power 5, which exists and we do know quite a lot about. We have every reason to believe that the next major PPC chip will be based on the Power 5, just as the G5 is based on the Power 4, although of course the details are vague.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

The SSOI-based 970FX will follow by September at up to 3.2GHz -- around the same time as the G5 iMac and Powerbook

It's worth noting, for all those waiting for G5 iMacs, that MOSR says they won't be coming until September. I really hope they are true to form and are wrong on THAT.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akac

IBM certainly has not talked about the 980. Its pure conjecture it would be called a 980 or even what its got. So its a bit silly to talk that the 980 has been postponed because its not even known if such a thing exists. It actually makes sense that the 970 is going to be around for a couple years in various incarnations - fx, gx, whatever.

And no, I don't count rumors of a 980 proof that one exists.

Sorry, but there is already some publicly available information about the Power5, here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12145

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12217
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

Sorry, but there is already some publicly available information about the Power5, here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12145

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12217

The Power5 has 'nothing' to do with the PPC980, if it excist. It may be based on it, but refering to Power5 documents says nothing about the chip..
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

The Power5 has 'nothing' to do with the PPC980, if it excist. It may be based on it, but refering to Power5 documents says nothing about the chip..

Actually it has everything to do with the 980, as the 980 will almost certainly be a derivative of the Power5, in the same manner that the 970 is a derivative of the Power4 architecture.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Actually it has everything to do with the 980, as the 980 will almost certainly be a derivative of the Power5, in the same manner that the 970 is a derivative of the Power4 architecture.

Actually IBM has made public statements about the POWER5 derivative and it is not referred to as the 980.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Let me see if I have this correct: A rumor website says that a rumored chip, with a rumored name, will be delayed in place of another rumored chip also with a rumored name.

Is it any wonder I like reading this board so much.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Actually IBM has made public statements about the POWER5 derivative and it is not referred to as the 980.

Link?

My point is that a single CPU, dual-core version of the Power5 could possibly be the basis of the 980. Not trying to suggest that the Powermac "G6" would be the 8-way MCM with all that external cache.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

IBM DOESN'T recognize the 980 as of yet, it is the name rumor sites have given the Power5 derivative. That is all it is. I am in agreement with the above.

-walloo.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Link?

My point is that a single CPU, dual-core version of the Power5 could possibly be the basis of the 980. Not trying to suggest that the Powermac "G6" would be the 8-way MCM with all that external cache.

They refer the POWER5 cored PPC 970 as the GR-UL or the PPC 97x in their public roadmaps for presentations. If you can track down their presentations then you'll be able to see it. It has been shown in a couple. I think you'd find they'd have something slightly more interesting than just a POWER5 core in mind for a PPC 980, if such a thing were being planned.