Is there a shortcut key to relaunch the Finder - Mac OS X 10.3.2 Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ever since I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.3.2, my Mac freezes to the point of having to cold boot the computer. When I freeze I have still have mouse access, but I cannot click on any menu item nor the dock (Alt-Tab doesn't work either). I believe the Finder is dead, but since I can't activate any menus the Apple menu is not accessible (to relaunch it).

I already tried using Shift-Command-Option-Escape but that does not work either.

Any assistance would be appreicated.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you dont need the "shift" in that command combo...

if that isn't working I suggest starting off the panther install CD and repairing permissions and repairing the file system... if those don't fix things... unless you want to try an archive install... you could get disk warrior or tech tool pro (or deluxe if you have applecare) and try to let that repair the disk...

see the top of the forum for other quick fixes...

DO NOT use norton unless it is a last resort!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you dont need the "shift" in that command combo...

if that isn't working I suggest starting off the panther install CD and repairing permissions and repairing the file system... if those don't fix things... unless you want to try an archive install... you could get disk warrior or tech tool pro (or deluxe if you have applecare) and try to let that repair the disk...

see the top of the forum for other quick fixes...

DO NOT use norton unless it is a last resort!

Thanks for your reply.

The Shift-Command-Option-Escape key combination will Force Quit the front most app. Unfortunately, this key combination does not relaunch the Finder.

I will use your suggestion on booting from my 10.3 disk and repairing permissions.

Thanks again.