Making Bluetooth NOT start

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm on MacOS X (10.3.2) with all the latest updates.

I've got the darn Bluetooth thing starting up automatically. I don't have any bluetooth devices and I'd like it NOT to start up... but I can't find any option to NOT start it by default (the bluetooth preferences don't seem to have anything).

Any idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Use the bluetooth menu from the title bar. If its not there, double click the following file:-

/system/library/core services/menu extras/bluetooth.menu

Then, choose turn bluetooth off from the menu.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Yeah, I know that part. I want it to not start up AT ALL when the system comes up. I don't want to manually go shut it off.

I come from UNIX, I don't like unneccesary things starting up, especially things that allow access to my machine...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    actually i just had to turn it off once in the bluetooth system-prefpane and it did never turn on autonatically since then. that said, i just noticed that my bluetooth prefpane is suddenly gone???!! anyone ever had that happen??

10.3.2 17" powerbook 1.33ghz
  • Reply 4 of 13
    That's weird. On mine it's always on after a reboot.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Bluetooth stays off over restarts for me, so you should only have to turn it off once.

Can anyone remember how to remove the menubar icon?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    There's a "Show bluetooth thinggie on menubar" in the preferences thing.

And, like I said, mine turns itself on after reboots, and it's damned annoying.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Did you check your start up items?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Bluetooth stays off over restarts for me, so you should only have to turn it off once.

Can anyone remember how to remove the menubar icon?

command drag it out of the menu

that'll get rid of any menu item you dont like...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Did you check your start up items?

Nope. Where is that?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    System Preferences -> Accounts -> Startup Items

i rather doubt that this has to do something with it, but you could still give it a shot. have you tried zapping the PRAM?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Startup Items

i rather doubt that this has to do something with it, but you could still give it a shot. have you tried zapping the PRAM?

What's a PRAM? (; (Mac newbie)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Searching for where there system starts "blued" the bluetooth daemon. Will edit this post when done....
  • Reply 13 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    PRAM is Parameter RAM. It's an area of memory that holds some system settings while the Mac is off (as it's powered by a small battery). Sometimes resetting the PRAM to its defaults is necessary: this is known as "zapping" the PRAM. To zap the PRAM, you hold down command + option + p + r immediately after booting or restarting your Mac.