LCD resolution question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've heard that LCDs perform at their best if they are only used at their native resolution (1024). Many games require resolution to be 800 or so. Wouldn't this negatively affect game play on a LCD? Also, is there a big advantage of digital over analogue? Thanks.................................

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    At non-native resolutions things will look blurry/blocky. This will effect games, but I really don't mind it too much since games feature images that are constantly moving anyway...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Things do look slightly cartoonish. I'm playing Starcraft Broodwar on my new iMac SD, which is native at 1024, but SCBW runs in 800x600, so the images appear a bit oversized. Blizzard needs to release a new version of SC (please!).

One thing that threw me for a loop, being naive about these matters, is that I expected the extra room on the LCD iMac versus the CRT iMac would mean that I'd see more of the game's playing field. This didn't happen. Instead everything just got bigger to fill the extra space. That was a bummer.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Maybe it's just my display, but I don't have a problem with the image quality in games when the resolution drops down.

I run a Silicon Graphics 1600SW... it runs at 1600x1024, and I have the MultiLink adapter, which doubles as being able to drop the resolution on the display. Maybe it's just really good at it, but I've recently been playing AoE II, civilization III, and Black and White at 1024x768 (at 4:3, not stretched) and 800x600 for Black and White, letting the display stretch the image to the full 16:10 aspectr ation. The images look great, I don't even really notice.

But again, maybe it's just my display. Now if I drop down the resolution while not in a game, yeah, it's quite painful...

-j4