Is there a way to auto-align desktop icons?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Like, in Windows, I could right-click the desktop and click like "arrange icons by> name/type/date/etc." and it would auto-arrange them. I have yet to figure out how to do this on Mac OS X, pretty much I have to just move icons around manually to where I want them, and that is of course, never straight, because I don't want to just sit there and move them in perfect order.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Like, in Windows, I could right-click the desktop and click like "arrange icons by> name/type/date/etc." and it would auto-arrange them. I have yet to figure out how to do this on Mac OS X, pretty much I have to just move icons around manually to where I want them, and that is of course, never straight, because I don't want to just sit there and move them in perfect order.

Gah, no sooner than I posted this than I figured it out.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    For those who still want to know, go to the desktop, then select "Show View Options" from the View menu or hit Command+J. In there, select "Keep Arranged By" and choose how you want them sorted.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

For those who still want to know, go to the desktop, then select "Show View Options" from the View menu or hit Command+J. In there, select "Keep Arranged By" and choose how you want them sorted.

Or, alternatively, Finder > View > Arrange >
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Or select all the icons then, View -> Clean Up Selection.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Or, alternatively, Finder > View > Arrange >

well if you do it the other way the arrangement is AUTOMATIC and you will never have to think about it again... if thats what you are looking for anyway...