New iMac's display quality and some little things

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After seeing the new iMac in person for the first time, I must say that I was very impressed. I really, really like it and if I had the money, I would get one right now, especially since I am still using a beige G3 tower. I have a few comments on it. I think that the display looks especially good on it. You would think that it would be the exact same as the standalone 15" display for the Power Macs, but I think it is different and better. I did not get a chance to look at the two displays side by side, but I would like to in order to know for sure. I think that the iMac's screen is brighter and the image is higher quality and clearer. Maybe the brightness was just set differently, or the color temperature was set differently, I think someone else said that in another thread. If the iMac's screen is indeed higher quality, that is good, and hopefully Apple will update the standalone displays to that same higher quality soon. Everyone else who has seen or has a regular standalone display and has seen the new iMac in person or has one give me your opinion on this.

Also, I think that with this new iMac it is interesting that it gained so many new features, but also unfortuantely lost a few. Don't get me wrong, I love the new iMac and I think that the good far outweighs the bad. These are just some simple observations of mine.

- There is now a fan, but it is very quiet and I didn't hardly even notice it. It is much, much quieter than my current computer. I thought that they still would leave the fan out, since you no longer had the CRT monitor in the case making it cooler, but you also add the G4 processor and the Nvidia GeForce 2 MX which apparently cancel that out.

- There is now no longer a handle built-in, but the arm connecting the display and computer can be used as one. Apple seems to be moving away from handles. For a while, every computer they made came with a handle except the PowerBook. The iBook no longer has one and the Cube is discontinued. All of their products are lighter now though I am sure, especially the laptops, making the handle unnecessary.

- The ports are now on the back instead of the side, making them slightly harder to get to. Not a big deal, I know. It looks better this way anyway, in my opinion.

- The optical drive is now tray loading instead of slot loading. They had to do this because there is no slot loading SuperDrive right now. Again, not a big deal. I think it looks good this way too.

- The case is no longer transparent. That was kind of cool in the old iMacs. No biggie.

- There is no longer a choice in colors. I think the new iMac is very good looking just the way it is though. This seems to be another thing that Apple has tried and is moving away from. The iMacs and iBooks used to be in multiple colors and there was the B & W G3s. Now the only computer they stil sell with a choice of colors is the old iMac. The other computer lines are in white, Ti, Quicksilver, etc. I think that the colors the way they are now are all very good for all of their current products. At least, thank heavens, they have not gone back to beige.

My concluding thoughts. They have added the 15" LCD flat panel display, a G4 processor, the SuperDrive, the Nvidia GeForce 2 MX, more USB ports, Pro Speakers, Mac OS X, iApps, and they have wrapped it all up in a breathtaking and very ergonomic and space saving design. And it is only $1799 for the top of the line model. Simply AMAZING. I WANT ONE!! BTW, I wonder how long it will be before it appears on a TV show and somone will probably use one on a show too, they are too cool not to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Welcome to AI! We're glad to have you here. Let me just inform you of a couple things to keep you from getting your head bitten off here:

1) This thread's topic has been covered 1000 times or more by everyone here already, because the iMac's been out over a month now. In other words, this is all "old news" and you aren't going to get many (if any) legit replies to this thread. Try to keep your posts/threads up to date. It keeps you from having to type so much, and everyone else doesn't have to spend time reading about something that we've already covered.

2) Try to avoid "useless" information in your posts, that have no thought-provoking, interesting value. I'm referring to the section about how the new iMac is different from the old. You mention no translucency, but that's no big deal. Okay, that's fine, but it probably didn't need to be written here, then.

IF, on the other hand, you would have said something like, "Because the new iMac has no transparency, I think they won't sell quite as well," that's a bit more interesting. Do you see the difference?

Just trying to help out a "newbie," and again, welcome to the AI boards!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Cube had one of those interphasic handles, I take it.

The $1799 iMac has two fans, actually. There is a tiny fan on the back of every Pioneer DVR-104.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>Welcome to AI! We're glad to have you here. Let me just inform you of a couple things to keep you from getting your head bitten off here:

1) This thread's topic has been covered 1000 times or more by everyone here already, because the iMac's been out over a month now. In other words, this is all "old news" and you aren't going to get many (if any) legit replies to this thread. Try to keep your posts/threads up to date. It keeps you from having to type so much, and everyone else doesn't have to spend time reading about something that we've already covered.

2) Try to avoid "useless" information in your posts, that have no thought-provoking, interesting value. I'm referring to the section about how the new iMac is different from the old. You mention no translucency, but that's no big deal. Okay, that's fine, but it probably didn't need to be written here, then.

IF, on the other hand, you would have said something like, "Because the new iMac has no transparency, I think they won't sell quite as well," that's a bit more interesting. Do you see the difference?

Just trying to help out a "newbie," and again, welcome to the AI boards! </strong><hr></blockquote>

wow, you are really full of yourself and stuck up on this "you're better than everyone and due to your maturity must show everyone else the way thing"
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Hi apple fan 1 and welcome. I think CosmoNut was trying to be helpful.

I would be interested myself in the comparative quality of the LCD displays. It was the huge order of LCD's that began some of the better rumors for the then incipient iMac and I would like to know if they were anything special.

If Apple promised the LCD company 100's of 1,000's of orders, then there might have been some optimizations added.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

wow, you are really full of yourself and stuck up on this "you're better than everyone and due to your maturity must show everyone else the way thing"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey applenut - I agree with you, but speak for yourself.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I will miss my IR port on my trusty bondi... but alas some sacrifices must be made