Idea for a keyboard.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When prices for monochrome OLED's drop to a certain point, some innovative company (hint:Apple) should cap all their keyboard keys with a roughly 1 cm by 1 cm monochrome mini OLED display. These keys would display output depending on what the application calls for. In default mode it would display the normal keys (QWERTY, QWERTZ, Dvorak, etc.). But when a modifier key is held down such as shift, control, option, it would display the key or command. For example holding down option & shift would turn the c key into a Ç ( upper case cedilla) or holding down the command key would display the words 'copy' on the C key, 'paste' on the V key, etc. It's main use would come with the use of function keys that you can auto program in a system preference pane, or applications like Final Cut Pro and Express. Even other pro applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator can take advantage through plugin modules.

Would this be practical? Or too gimmicky?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I would like to see this. But many would see it as a gimmick, as I imagine that it would cost a bomb to make even one.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    As long as it provides a good backlight for the keys, I'm game

I love the backlight in my Pbook, it should be standard on all apple keyboards.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

As long as it provides a good backlight for the keys, I'm game

I love the backlight in my Pbook, it should be standard on all apple keyboards.

I agree, it's such a good idea and so useful.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Wow man. I think that would be really awesome. One little problem... Doesn't this technology HAVE to be powered? The problem would be that if you have to enter a command on startup or do open firmware or something, it will not yet be receiving information for it. Perhaps the "paper displays" or digital ink or whatever it is called would work.... But of course those, at least last I checked, had a slow response time. So maybe Apple would have it be on a "default" setting whenever the machine is first turned on to look like a completely normal keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Wow man. I think that would be really awesome. One little problem... Doesn't this technology HAVE to be powered? The problem would be that if you have to enter a command on startup or do open firmware or something, it will not yet be receiving information for it. Perhaps the "paper displays" or digital ink or whatever it is called would work.... But of course those, at least last I checked, had a slow response time. So maybe Apple would have it be on a "default" setting whenever the machine is first turned on to look like a completely normal keyboard.

USB could provide more than enough power.

And there is no reason that Apple couldn't have firmware that displays characters on boot. Take that one step further, have the C key display 'CD boot', option would display 'boot menu', and other boot keys would display their respective names. Of course for other machines to use the keyboard they would need to install the new firmware.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Good points. For some reason I was thinking about this being integrated into a laptop. I never think of it being external lol. Apple really needs to get their keyboards updated. I HATE as in HATE the new keyboard design. It looks horrible and I hate the feel of it. If they were to make an external keyboard that is of the aluminum design, they would have a winner in my book.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Agreed, the new apple keyboards need to be aluminum to match the new aluminum displays
  • Reply 8 of 16
    definitely an excellent idea, so excellent that I wouldn't speak of it again in public until you get a patent on it. hehe

seriously

As far as OLEDs are concerned, I think the more appropriate technology would be something like eInk, http://www.eink.com

The main benefit being that this technology only requires power for the initial refresh of the display, when updating the key caps in this instance, and then holds the image. Also, I believe it would be inherently more durable than OLEDs. Of course, OLEDs would have the benefit of being independantly illuminated, but again, consuming more power.

Such keyboard would be immensely useful for both desktop and laptop use.

given that apple's keyboard and mouse are already considerably more expensive than other brands, I think they could probably integrate this sort of technology, once eInk is in production, without raising the price of the 'board by much.

good idea!

michael
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Thanks michael. The idea came when installing FCE and it came with those tiny stickers you apply to the keys of your keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    awesome idea. i would love to be able to customize photoshop and final cut with my own shortcuts, and it could have an exposé type feature where, when in ps or something, all other keys dim a little and your customized ones stay lit.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Remember the desk in Tron? The entire desk surface was a touchscreen, complete with keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

Remember the desk in Tron? The entire desk surface was a touchscreen, complete with keyboard.

[OT]

:lol;

You just reminded me of the Simpsons when Homer goes into 3D and asks if anyone has seen the movie Tron. Anyone who has seen that episode knows what I'm talking about.

[/OT]

Great idea. I would buy it. And I'm sure Apple would make something like this, and than a few months later MS would introduce to the world the "newest innovation from microsoft". And it would be the same keyboard that Apple has already had available for months.

I'm sure this idea has been played around with, but maybe isn't quite ready yet. If it shows up it will come from Apple, the sweet ideas already do. You should consider passing this Apple's way, that is, after you get a patent on it!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Another cool idea; when using VPC your keys would change to display the windows key and put the alt key where is belongs. If KVM manufacturers could integrate the technology, the keyboard would do the same depending on the host computer.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I thought when you made patents you had to be able to show a workable prototype?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's a very good idea! Kinda like a real-life Key Caps, huh? When you press the command, shift and/or option key, you get instant visual feedback, from the keyboard itself, as to what characters will be produced!

Easily one of the three snazziest ideas I've seen shared on these boards in my four years here!

Thinking different....and cool!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I wonder how much something like this would cost? I'll email them.