G4 933MHz owners, SPEAK !

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm seriously thinking about getting the new 933MHz G4 with 768 MB of ram, and the standard GF4 MX video card.

How fast is it ? Please, describe your impressions.

What Quake3 performances do you get ?

How many FPS at best details ?

Do you have antialiasing (AA) in Quake, with the GF4 MX card ? Which FPS with AA on ?

How much time to do a typical Bryce picture ?

What are your problems, difficulties or bad stuff with the 933MHz ? Any bad experiences ?

I need to know, before I put all my cash in this system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've played with one at the Apple Store. It's really fast. I saw a noticeable difference between the old 867 and 933. From the little bit of time that I've used one, it's great and really fast.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I have one with 512 ram, and its fast. I dont know how it compares to recent towers, since i have'nt spent alot of time with them, been working with pc's lately : (. But it destroys the powerbook g4 550 w/512 that i have at work, but thats no suprise. I have'nt had a chance to really test everything on the system (busy at work), but i played the Return To Castle Wolfenstein demo in OSX and it is so fast on 1024x768 at full everything, Red Faction is also blazing.

From what ive used so far, Photoshop, Illustrator 10, iapps, are all slamming fast. And as for osx, it runs like a real os, seems faster and more responsive than 9.2 even. Just window resizing in explorer is still a little slow, but alot better than before (thats just ms's fault though). But all in all its a great system, if i could aford the dual i of cource would have gotten that, but if you can't you are by no means getting a 2nd rate system with the 933.

Sorry i dont have hard fact numbers for you but i havent had a chance yet to really mess around. If you need a new machene, get it damn you : ). I do design, 3d animation, and digital audio and video, and i have been working in these mediums for more than 5 years. I would deff recomend this system to a pro who wasnt able to drop the $3000 on a dual.

just for extra info, in X Illustrator 10 gets to splash screen in 2 bounces. it takes about 4 sec's including bounces and loading to open up.

mmmm, happy to be back in mac land again
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Damn! I got a pop-up when clicking this thread! that sux00rs

I think I'm going to sell my dual 533 to get a 933 in the next few weeks. I've got a GF3 in my machine now so I plan on offing the GF4MX.

It's pathetic that I'm only doing this for UT. I am a slave to that game!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have the 933. It has 768 MB RAM. It runs Mac OS X 10.1.2, build 5P63.

I don't play any games on it. I use it mostly for Final Cut Pro, and the other cool Mac stuff (iTunes, iPhoto, etc.) It gets 29 fps in the iTunes visualizer if that's any help.

It makes my PowerBook G4 400 (384 MB RAM, OS X 10.1.2), look like a turtle in comparison. For example, I get maybe a half bounce going into Internet Explorer, whereas it's 6 or more bounces on the PowerBook G4/400. BTW, I turned off "Animate icons" in my sys prefs which makes it seem to load even faster.

The only thing I wished I did was get the flat-panel display. Now, I'm thinking of getting the 15-incher after the fact. I've seen both the 15-inch and 17-inch. But I still would go for the 15-inch.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Cake:

<strong>Damn! I got a pop-up when clicking this thread! that sux00rs

I think I'm going to sell my dual 533 to get a 933 in the next few weeks. I've got a GF3 in my machine now so I plan on offing the GF4MX.

It's pathetic that I'm only doing this for UT. I am a slave to that game!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sure I could OWN you at 400+ ping CTF face games I was one of the best lag snipers back in my day...I once sniped about 50 heads in one game with around 430 ping.

and I don't spawn snipe!

but I stopped playing video games