Soundblaster VOC format

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My Dad has a USB-based MP3 player that can also record audio files, but it records them in Soundblaster's VOC format. He runs OS 9.x and so far I haven't found anything that successfully plays the files. Supposedly SoundApp can convert .voc files to other, more-standard formats...but it doesn't do it on his machine. When you try it claims that the .voc file is the "wrong format". I think that perhaps the VOC file doesn't have creator code and filetype info in it....but I'm not sure.

So.

Does anybody know of a good FREE conversion app that can take VOC to MOV or something else? Does anyone know if there is even a creator code for VOC files, info that SoundApp might be looking for to help it identify the file(s) AS a VOC file in the first place?

thanks to any of you sound maniacs who might have this answer!

Drew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

My Dad has a USB-based MP3 player that can also record audio files, but it records them in Soundblaster's VOC format. He runs OS 9.x and so far I haven't found anything that successfully plays the files. Supposedly SoundApp can convert .voc files to other, more-standard formats...but it doesn't do it on his machine. When you try it claims that the .voc file is the "wrong format". I think that perhaps the VOC file doesn't have creator code and filetype info in it....but I'm not sure.

So.

Does anybody know of a good FREE conversion app that can take VOC to MOV or something else? Does anyone know if there is even a creator code for VOC files, info that SoundApp might be looking for to help it identify the file(s) AS a VOC file in the first place?

thanks to any of you sound maniacs who might have this answer!

Drew

As a general proposition, the creater code is used by MacOS 9.2 and earlier versions of the MacOS to launch the correct application when you open a data file. In general, the creator code does not limit access only to certain applications. If an application can handle a particular file type, the application can open the file from the File/Open dialog box, irrespective of the creator code.

As for a sound format conversion utility, you might try this utility.