Will PowerMacs Ever Get More Ports?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just a little question... does anyone else have an issue with the number of ports that are being offered on the PM G5?

I could certainly do with 2-3 more USB ports and at least one more FW port (400 or 800) I like to be firewire-mobile and "un-daisy-chaining" is getting rather tiresome. Should I need to put a PCI USB/FW card in an already $3000 machine?

Does anyone else see a need for more ports or have I been reading chickentooths posts for too long?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Go buy a hub
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    My cheap PC I built recently has 8 USB ports on the motherboard. I bought a Firewire card for it for $30.

Hubs are messy and don't work with all devices.

It would be quite easy for Apple to add more ports on the PowerMac. After all, it's one of the biggest personal computers on the market today.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Plague Bearer

Go buy a hub

I agree. Too messy with all those wires around the computer.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This would be a good opportunity for a 3rd party to make a sort of super hub that is compact, sits on the desktop and includes all the essential ports that someone would need to get at. USB, firewire, audio in/out, maybe a power button. It would have only one cable coming out the back and at the end it would split off into its individual plugs. Perhaps firewire could supply it with enough power.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

My cheap PC I built recently has 8 USB ports on the motherboard. I bought a Firewire card for it for $30.

Hubs are messy and don't work with all devices.

It would be quite easy for Apple to add more ports on the PowerMac. After all, it's one of the biggest personal computers on the market today.

are they all on independant controllers though?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

I could certainly do with 2-3 more USB ports and at least one more FW port (400 or 800) I like to be firewire-mobile and "un-daisy-chaining" is getting rather tiresome. Should I need to put a PCI USB/FW card in an already $3000 machine?

/Me checks G5 kit

Three USB on CPU box (two rear one front)

Two USB on keyboard

Two USB on Cinema display

Three FW (two rear one front)

If you need more than that, yes you should buy a card. (Or look at using some of the other ports -- like the opitcal audio ports -- instead.)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

/Me checks G5 kit

Three USB on CPU box (two rear one front)

Two USB on keyboard

Two USB on Cinema display

Three FW (two rear one front)

If you need more than that, yes you should buy a card. (Or look at using some of the other ports -- like the optical audio ports -- instead.)

2 usable on the CPU, one has the keyboard hooked up to it. (1 if you have Pro speakers, which must be hooked up to the computer due to power draw of the speakers.)

1 usable on the Keyboard, one has the mouse hooked up to it.

3 on the monitor.

Of those ports 3 are best suited for temporary hook up, like downloading images from a digital camera (The ones in front of the tower, monitor and on the keyboard). I think that there is definitely room and reason for 2 more on the back of the tower.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    in the insanely great world of less than infinite budget...

Said G5 system might be fully loaded (as some offices and labs are).

Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse cost no USB ports.

Airport Extreme Base Station handles Network Printer port.

Dual Monitor (one ADC, one DVI) might offer additional ports.

Optical Audio out....

some solutions on the small

Bah! Puny Humans with Puny solutions... HUBZILLA SMASH!

click for details

review

Quote:

Eyes light red and mouth lights blue when Firewire Dino is plugged into the Firewire port on your computer

• Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Bah! Puny Humans with Puny solutions... HUBZILLA SMASH!

click for details

review