What the hell is going on here?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm running 10.1.5, and recently I've noticed some strange behavior. iTunes taking forever (10, 15 minutes) to quit, dock menus occasionally taking forever to draw (> 45 seconds) the finder screeching to a halt to copy a 170k file from one disk to another. Things like that. So tonight while waiting for iTunes to quit (before I decided to just force quit the bastard) I decided to take a look at the console log, just for shits and giggles, you know; and I found this:

Quote:

Dec 29 21:59:59 pcp03052107pcs /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: kCGErrorIllegalArgument : CGSGetWindowGeometry: Invalid window

Dec 29 21:59:59 pcp03052107pcs /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: kCGErrorIllegalArgument : CGSGetWindowGeometry: Invalid window

etcetera etcetera etcetera....

amongst a few other colorful errors. I was just wondering what this means; I?m probably going to reinstall if this sort of stuff keeps up, I?m not really asking for help (although it would be appreciated) I was just curious as to what ?kCGErrorIllegalArgument : CGSGetWindowGeometry: Invalid window? means.

...thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    if you were trying to run the iTunes visualizer, these might be errors related to that

otherwise, sounds like the UI core services are failing to redraw windows (might be QE related)

reinstall should help

incidentally... 10.1.5 isn't the best OS choice (if you have an option to upgrade),

10.2 Jaguar or 10.3 Panther don't seem to report these issues as often...

as well as being faster.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    curiousuburb is right. Upgrade to a newer version of X. 10.0-10.1.5 were really buggy and overall not very usable versions. He is also right about the window redraw issue. It happened to me back when I first installed 10.0. Was pretty common. I only used 10.1 once or twice so I don't know if it was common with that version.