Diskwarrior still essential in OS X era ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I used to be a big fan of DW on OS 8 and 9, DW used to be absolutely essential for maintaining OS 7,8 and 9. Now in the X era with a completely different file system opposed to classic OS, is DW still so important and worth getting ? The way I understand it, X does not have the problems that classic had that made DW so useful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wlanei2

Hi,

I used to be a big fan of DW on OS 8 and 9, DW used to be absolutely essential for maintaining OS 7,8 and 9. Now in the X era with a completely different file system opposed to classic OS, is DW still so important and worth getting ? The way I understand it, X does not have the problems that classic had that made DW so useful.

Hell yeah DW is still essential. OS X can still suffer from directory problems brought on my the use of HFS+ that makes DW still very useful.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    DiskWarrior 3.0 (which will be getting an update for Panther "real soon now") is still the best directory repair program out there for OS X as long as you boot from the CD (sorry, G5 owners).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Absolutely.

DW is still the only reliable tool for repairing directory damage. Yes, your hard drive can still become damaged, even with journaling, but it is quite rare.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I run DW 3.0 few days ago...

10.3.2 here.. 2 drives are Journalized and one HFS+

I bought Norton back in those days (Mac OS 7.x and 8.x). Now.. I go for DW.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wow, with every post and place where it said "diskwarrior" I was reading "codewarrior"...i need some sleep.

good proggy tho.

-walloo.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    THE essential disk utility, when fsck can't fix things.

It will hopefully be less necessary for Panther uses now that journaling is the default.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    DiskWarior 3 doesn't run on my 15" AlBook because it's 10.2.6 or whatever \

So I either have to use it in Target Mode and start up with my brothers, or tech tool.

Brad what is your opinion on techtool pro?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    DW is even more of a requirement now then it once was. You can't just drag a system folder from a boot and use Conflict Catcher to sort out the differences. If OSX goes nuts there are two options, Disk Warrior or reinstall. It is a must own for every OSX user.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    And now it's finally been updated for Panther.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

And now it's finally been updated for Panther.

Can I still use Disk Warrior 2.1 for Panther disks when booting off an OS 9 partition ?