Virgin Mobile's Phone Service?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone use Virgin's "Pay as you go" phone service?

How are the phones?

Anyone have the tiny "VOX" flip phone?

Do you pay for incomming calls as well as outgoing calls?

What is the quality of the reception in your area?

Any comments on the service?

Any "gotchas" or hidden charges?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Anyone use Virgin's "Pay as you go" phone service?

How are the phones?

Anyone have the tiny "VOX" flip phone?

Do you pay for incomming calls as well as outgoing calls?

What is the quality of the reception in your area?

Any comments on the service?

Any "gotchas" or hidden charges?

i use it. i get great reception in chicago, i think they use sprint's cell network when your not on theirs.

25¢ a minute incoming or outgoing, if you use more the ten minutes in a given day, you go to 10¢ a minute. it's also 10¢ a text message incoming or outgoing.

my problem is i don't ever use up my usage and you have to put 20$ onto your account every three months, so after a year you can have a ton of credit, whenever my credit gets to high i take it as a symbol to call my ma.

my one word of advise is don't do the auto top-up as it loads 30$ in at a time, do manual then you can do the 20$ top-up, which you can do by phone, web, or your mobile browser.

their website inundates you with teen coolness which is a little oft putting.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    You pay for recieving calls?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

You pay for recieving calls?

yep.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Hmm. Here the calling company is paying to use the recieving companies network.

The usual costs here is ¢13/m and ¢4/text message for pay as you go service. Was two-three times that a year ago.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I hate the commercial with the naked chick..
  • Reply 6 of 11
    OoOO i like the looks of this cell phone provider...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

OoOO i like the looks of this cell phone provider...

it is interesting to compare Virgin rates across the globe.

In OZ they are charging 5c text( US 3c) virgin to virgin anywhere within the country or 20c ( 15c US) otherwise.

No charge for incoming calls, free voice mail and free to internet messaging.

Minimum $50 card and one year to use it with no connection ( joining ) fees.

I am seriously considering them.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

it is interesting to compare Virgin rates across the globe.

In OZ they are charging 5c text( US 3c) virgin to virgin anywhere within the country or 20c ( 15c US) otherwise.

No charge for incoming calls, free voice mail and free to internet messaging.

Minimum $50 card and one year to use it with no connection ( joining ) fees.

I am seriously considering them.

Wow. Pretty good deal.

I just need a phone for emergenices, quick short calls ("I'm on my way"etc), and for important "gotta have it now" calls like job interview set-up calls, appointments, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Wow. Pretty good deal.

I just need a phone for emergenices, quick short calls ("I'm on my way"etc), and for important "gotta have it now" calls like job interview set-up calls, appointments, etc.

you could use it to call ahead to arthur bryant's fabulous BBQ
  • Reply 10 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Wow. Pretty good deal.

With America being such a big market, I would have thought you could screw ...errr... 'persuade' ..Virgin to give you a better deal.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    i was watching something on techTV about america's mobile market, particularly the youth based mobile market.

it's last in the world, well, anywhere where there is a legitimate mobile business.

these kind of plans are aimed at teens and as they aren't as big mobile users here, there's no heat for competition.