New Offical Mac Computer Setups site

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
from the other thread, it people are saying a 32 page long thread gets tricky to manage computer setups. So have decided to move the schedule for the "Computer Setups" section of AppleAds.com launch to this month.

So I need your input on it's design and how it's going to work. Space and bandwidth is not a limiting factor, neither is my time.

Here is what I am thinking for layout and information.

the URL to each persons setup would be

www.appleads.com/setups/name/

that would be their entrance. You would can put info about yourself etc, then their would be a picture with a link to the page for each new setup.

the info for each setup would be. location, specs, date taken, etc.

What do you think? It would also be updated as often as needed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    You might be interested in using drupal (with the image module installed) for something like this.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

You might be interested in using drupal (with the image module installed) for something like this.

Thanks but I am going to use vbcms when it comes out.

It won't be that much work using templates.

I need to figure out layout and what information to include. I want to launch ASAP.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    ...so we'll stop teasing him about his as-yet-vaporous site.....

Just kidding....
  • Reply 4 of 19
    The Commecials section is 90% done,
  • Reply 5 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    What kind of ads are we going to be subjected to on your site? (you said it's needed to pay your hosting) Are you going to mind that 95% of us will block them all?

Leonis, can we stick the setups up in conjunction with your member photo pages?

I think it's only fair that Leonis has first crack at this, since he's been The Man for a long time now.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

What kind of ads are we going to be subjected to on your site? (you said it's needed to pay your hosting) Are you going to mind that 95% of us will block them all?

Leonis, can we stick the setups up in conjunction with your member photo pages?

I think it's only fair that Leonis has first crack at this, since he's been The Man for a long time now.

The same ads on MacWrite.com no popups/pop unders crap

just a top banner and skyscraper on the side. and some affiliate links on the left side. We only use clean, none flashing ads. We do have standards and ethics you know \\

There will be a Mac setups section on the site period.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

There will be a Mac setups section on the site period.

Uh, ok chief. Forgive me for trying to do the right thing and let Leonis have a shot at this.

Go ahead and put your setup pages up. You should have one that also outlines what you do to get your bubbling personality.

Personally I think having a thread here is good enough. *shrug*
  • Reply 8 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I kinda liked my idea too. Seemed fairly quick and "ready to go", but no one has e-mailed me anything.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=35930

But notice, I did defer to Leonis and all, to see if he wanted to roll it in to the "AI community" pages. Well, not roll it in exactly, but have it be a new, separate thing.

I was (still am) willing to be a backup, "go to" plan.

And I'd probably be able to update mine more than once a week. I was just laying out a disclaimer that I MIGHT not be able to do it daily, everytime a pic was sent in. But AT LEAST once a week...

It's just an iPhoto-based gallery, so really no work to speak of is involved. Just adding a few pics every so often and updating the page. No design, templates, coding, etc. to mess with.

If Leonis isn't interested or too busy and if the MacWrite thing isn't panning out...
  • Reply 9 of 19
    The thread is fine but wit would be cool to have a page for it... doesn't really matter at all though so don't spend much time on working out a site.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot ...a thread here is good enough. *shrug*

Yeah, it does the trick. But it gets LONG and cluttered and someone always has to be reminded "hey, dipstick...how about scaling down that 2250x1840 pixel photo!". And after a while, it swells to a huge page count and there's crap back on page 2 that isn't even looked at (or accurate) anymore, but still ads to the bloat of the thread.

And then you end up clicking through 18 pages, trying to find so-and-so's rig (for laughter or inspiration) and it just gets hard after a while: some post inline pics, some post links. Some links don't work. Then someone quotes a previous post with a big honkin' pic and includes THE SAME big honkin' pic and it just gets ugly and hard to follow.

You mods have to go in and delete redundant images, scold people for posting 4 megapixel images inline, notify people that their links are broken, etc.

I like the idea of a quick, 20-up (or so) thumbnail gallery (clickable to a larger pic, of course). One-stop set-up perusing, extending over 3-4 (more as needed) pages because it's not really a gabfest and spec-listing thing...just purty pics of all our gear, lined up nice and neat and easy to look through.

• Reply 11 of 19
    Go for it pscates, a couple of times a week is enough.

Just let me know when you want to fire it up, no sense in me sending you a pic now if you're not going to have it up for 10 days or something. I'll just end up having to send you another one...

• Reply 12 of 19
    Here's mine if you want it

Clicky
  • Reply 13 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Here's mine if you want it

Clicky

AAARRGGGGG. The printer from HELL!!!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Whats wrong with HP? They make craptacular computers, but the printer's actually really good
  • Reply 15 of 19
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Whats wrong with HP? They make craptacular computers, but the printer's actually really good

I think it is becoaue it is plugged in to that computer that makes it really nasty
  • Reply 16 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Tried that model under Panther? Printer from HELL I tell you.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Tried that model under Panther? Printer from HELL I tell you.

Ahh, now i see
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Uh, ok chief. Forgive me for trying to do the right thing and let Leonis have a shot at this.

Go ahead and put your setup pages up. You should have one that also outlines what you do to get your bubbling personality.

Personally I think having a thread here is good enough. *shrug*

I meant a setups section was always plans for the site which was 2 years ago. Sorry for being rude.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I got a mockup for the enterance page to your setups done. will work on the actual large version look tomorrow. then will post for your feedback.

I will allow you to post older setups so you can show how your setup has changed over time (the pain purpose of the design is to keep old setups on-line so people can see the changes in it).