Apple Store: Bethesda, MD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now, as much as I hate (yes hate) Bethesda, there is going to be an Apple Store at Montgomery Mall!

(much closer to DC, but still not in it, why not? Get it in Friendship Heights, or at Tenlytown, just please not in Georgetown, horrific traffic and no metro)

Man, i would sure like to get a job there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Now, as much as I hate (yes hate) Bethesda, there is going to be an Apple Store at Montgomery Mall!

(much closer to DC, but still not in it, why not? Get it in Friendship Heights, or at Tenlytown, just please not in Georgetown, horrific traffic and no metro)

hate is an ugly word...particularly when directed at my homies....

because the store is for the people in Montgomery County, who have terrible traffic getting to Tysons or Clarendon....and people in Rockville Silver Spring Chevy Chase Kensington aren't going to drive down to NW and search endlessly for parking spaces for their minivans and SUVs. And not much foot traffic or free parking at Mazza. Although that would be close to where I live.

While I avoid MM, I will go to this store. I just moved out of my place which was a 5-min walk to a reseller, so this is good news for me.

Why would people want to carry new computers on the Metro?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    My only question is: Will it have a theater?

I love the Towson store to pieces (only about 35 minutes from my house) but the fact that I have to travel thru the dreaded Towson Circle of Hell and the fact that it doesn't have a theater for Steve-worthy goodness is a major bummer. Tyson's Corner is just too far away for me.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    wpw, that's cool. The Montgomery Mall is pretty nice. California Pizza Kitchen rules.

I'll have to stop by there, maybe go to the opening. When does it open?

The Montgomery Mall parking lot confuses the hell out of me though.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sammy Davis

Why would people want to carry new computers on the Metro?

Well, I think that is the question that was asked by Best Buy who just opened in Tenlytown ON TOP OF A METRO STATION. It does not have to be in Mazza. It could be in the area of the New Balance Store, The AT&T Store, Borders.... JUST PUT IT THERE AND TAKE OUT THE ****ING HIGH-END FURNITURE STORE!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Montgomery Mall is not exactly Bethesda, being outside the Beltway. I think it would have gotten a bit more visibilty if it were put in downtown Bethesda. It's a town that's really sprouting all sorts of high rise buildings, and it's really turning into a higher-income version of NW DC. . . A pretty good target market. The folks who go to Montgomery Mall tend to hit Tysons every now and then anyway. A big downtown window with Macs in it for wealthy, fashion conscious lawyers to get excited about would be better.

Anyway, I spent a good portion of my youth in Bethesda. The town used to be pretty tame, but now it's a really great little spot, and definitely one of my favorite places to be on a nice weekend afternoon. There are a lot of good restaurants. Princeton is too small to be very interesting.

NW DC is nice too, but Bethesda is so much better groomed and more conveniently centralized.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Bethesda is pretty nice and Winston Churchill High is a really nice school.

I have a feeling this will be a theaterless store though. Apple seems to be getting stingy with the mall located stores.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    A little off topic but. . .

Just for the record, Churchill is in Potomac, MD 20854. (median family income ~250G) The public high schools I know of in Bethesda are BCC (Bethesda Chevy Chase) and Walt Whitman. I know that Whitman and Churchill are both pretty high-end public schools. Don't know much about BCC because I never played 'em in anything. . . (Churchill had a great soccer team, Whitman. . . sucked at sports)

20854 is a very large, sprawly zip code and Montgomery Mall is actually pretty close to part of it. If you continue on Democracy Blvd away from DC (Montgomery Mall is on Democracy Blvd) for about 2 miles or so, things start to look like an East coast version of Beverly Hills. On the left is the Bolger facility, which has pavement damn near to racing slick quality (at least is did a while ago) and is federal property. It's for the mail service or something. I used to time myself doing laps there.

Aaaanyway, Potomac is a little too suburby for me. Bethesda. . . is just right.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    HOLY CRAP 250G a year? I would jave never guessed that
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Well, anyway, now most of the Bethesda kids are little punks who love to hang out at the United Artists Theater on weekend nights. Bunch of little punks with their plaid shorts, polo shirts, and ****ing mesh trucker hats that just scream "I am a jackass."
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Hmm, wouldn't it be nice if they put an Apple Store in Greensboro...

We have a CompUSA, does that count?

(I know you all say that Apple displays in CompUSA suck, but the one here was really good, and they were ALL TURNED ON!!!)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Well, anyway, now most of the Bethesda kids are little punks who love to hang out at the United Artists Theater on weekend nights. Bunch of little punks with their plaid shorts, polo shirts, and ****ing mesh trucker hats that just scream "I am a jackass."

plaid shorts and a polo shirt?

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

That's about 20 kids or so, I would guess, maybe more now. Though you could just as easily make fun of the kids in Tenley (I lived there for a bit too). . . . Or even worse the punky shits from Spring Valley. Same bunch, but no dumpy cinema to hang out at. Anyway, I went to Landon and was/is a preppy. We tended to hang out on the Cordell Ave section with the cheap restaurants.

BTW, I went back to Bethesda for Christmas and I noticed that the ice cream store near UA was gone, replaced with some kind of shitty deli. That place was great. The waffle cone full of frozen custard was an artery clog waiting to happen.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

That's about 20 kids or so, I would guess, maybe more now. Though you could just as easily make fun of the kids in Tenley (I lived there for a bit too).

Oh, yeah, there are some douches out at there: Tenlytrash, but not as bad as Bethesda. I would rather pay 9 bucks for a movie in DC than pay 6 for a movie in Bethesda, both are equally easy to get to, but Bethesda just bothers me.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

plaid shorts and a polo shirt?

Mostly Ralph Lauren... gah, how I loathe him.....
  • Reply 15 of 17
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    lol, Churchill has major $$$. I went with my dad on a deck complaint one time, man talk about huge (and may I add very nice) houses. They guy we met with spoke very little english (he used a translator, he spoke some slavic language) and had a friggin fleet of Benzs and BMWs. I have never seen a nicer collection of cars in my life. Anywho back on topic... no theater

I wonder if an Apple store will open up in Pittsburgh, just in case I attend college up there...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

HOLY CRAP 250G a year? I would jave never guessed that

Actually more like 140G, but Potomac, 20854 is second in the US to Beverly Hills. Montgomery Mall is in 20817.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

lol, Churchill has major $$$. I went with my dad on a deck complaint one time, man talk about huge (and may I add very nice) houses. They guy we met with spoke very little english (he used a translator, he spoke some slavic language) and had a friggin fleet of Benzs and BMWs. I have never seen a nicer collection of cars in my life. Anywho back on topic... no theater

I wonder if an Apple store will open up in Pittsburgh, just in case I attend college up there...

By the description, I somehow guess that this complaint came from a Bent Cross Drive address. Thems some big houses, and all very new. Some of the nicer properties, though, are closer to Great Falls.

And Sammy Davis: If it's 140G, it's because the 20854 zip code stretches quite far towards rockville. Of the students that attend Churchill, the number is 250. I remember seeing that somewhere. If you start moving towards the River Road, Persimmon Tree, and Potomac Falls areas, if the same number isn't 500 or higher I'd be surprised.