Searchmeup.net....over google...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A site by the name of searchmeup.net has infected my computer. the site appears whenever i try to goto www.google.com, www.yahoo.com, www.altavista.com, www.lycos.com and many other popular search sites. When ever i goto the before mentioned sites it shows as if i went to www.searchmeup.net but the address bar still says the site it wanted. I have asked my firends what it says on their computer when they goto google and its "fine". This all happend on my PC and although i do have a Mac its my laptop and doesn't get internet connection at home. Please tell me what to do.

Sorry if your confused, i dont know how to describe this hanis PC problem.

-PS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Download Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Run both of them to find all the crap on your system, delete the stuff that they find and reboot.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Whew! Nasty stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Download Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Run both of them to find all the crap on your system, delete the stuff that they find and reboot.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I swear by these programs on all PCs I operate. I make my friends and family members run them regularly to save me the headaches of fixing their machines on a regular basis.

Do eeeeet!!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I'll say what we're all thinking...GET A MAC!!!

Seriously though...do it. But still do the other stuff that Cake and Brad said to do...than throw your Wintell box out the window and make the Mac plunge!

Edit: I see by your profile (that I read after I went on my anti PC, pro Mac thing) that you have a Mac on the way. Good for you. Still trash the Wintell machine though.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I'll say what we're all thinking...GET A MAC!!!

Seriously though...do it. But still do the other stuff that Cake and Brad said to do...than throw your Wintell box out the window and make the Mac plunge!

Edit: I see by your profile (that I read after I went on my anti PC, pro Mac thing) that you have a Mac on the way. Good for you. Still trash the Wintell machine though.

i'm getting 1... but this is the family computer... i would never spend good money on them
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I swear by these programs on all PCs I operate. I make my friends and family members run them regularly to save me the headaches of fixing their machines on a regular basis.

Do eeeeet!!

So do I. I run it every month or so. If it's a slow computer, and it's the first time you've scanned it, it will take a while, but it is destined to be faster after that. I use AdAware, and it's great, except for the few times it's frozen up on me :'(
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

So do I. I run it every month or so. If it's a slow computer, and it's the first time you've scanned it, it will take a while, but it is destined to be faster after that. I use AdAware, and it's great, except for the few times it's frozen up on me :'(

You probably should also run Spybot S&D, because Ad Aware doesn't scan the registry as thorough as Spybot.

PS5533:

You might also want to download and run Stinger to make sure you don't have any viruses fooling your anti-virus program and your computer.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I love when I`m talking to a PC using friend of mine and then randomly they/it will instant message me with a link and they will be like DONT CLICK IT ( some virus crap )

So I always click it and poke around the site a bit. I can't help it.

So anyways this searchmeup its not even a good search engine, I went there and typed in google and it couldn't even find google.com

I did find the attached screenshot I just took pretty interesting though.

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

You probably should also run Spybot S&D, because Ad Aware doesn't scan the registry as thorough as Spybot.

PS5533:

You might also want to download and run Stinger to make sure you don't have any viruses fooling your anti-virus program and your computer.

Yes, AdAware can scan the registry (deeply, too)

(Sorry, I don't know how to crop in paint [and yet I use Photoshop CS?][This is the other crappier PC (WIN98)])
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Yes, AdAware can scan the registry (deeply, too)

(Sorry, I don't know how to crop in paint [and yet I use Photoshop CS?][This is the other crappier PC (WIN98)])

Yeah, but Spybot S&D really does do more in the registry then Ad Aware. Give it a try and check out the expert settings, a lot more there than Ad Aware. I use both for my PC.