Question for recent Mac buyers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Did your Mac come with a 6-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable?

My QuickSilver 2002 did not.

My iMac DV SE from Summer 2000 did come with one.

2002 iMacs? PowerBook G4s? iBooks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    Bought a iBook about a month ago.. nada, zip.

Just a VGA-adapter, my G4 i bought in 99 had a FireWire cable. (One side was "normal" and the other was kinda square.. whatever they are called )
  • Reply 2 of 46
    My G4 gigabit ethernet did, as did the Quicksilver 733 that my workplace purchased recently. The 733 also came with a 3' USB cable extension for the keyboard.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Did your Mac come with a 6-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable?

My QuickSilver 2002 did not.

My iMac DV SE from Summer 2000 did come with one.

2002 iMacs? PowerBook G4s? iBooks?</strong><hr></blockquote>

no cables came with my new imac g4 except a very flimsy looking telephone/modem cable.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    When I got my iBook last June it didn't come with one.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 46
    QS 733 came bought 2 weeks ago came with FW and USB extension
  • Reply 6 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    PowerMac G4 800

USB Cable Extension - yes

FireWire Cable - no

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 46
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>PowerMac G4 800

USB Cable Extension - yes

FireWire Cable - no

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

What about all your past Macs?
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Not recent, but my GF's dual-800 (purchased 9/01) did come the FW cable. Perhaps the first gen QuickSilvers were the last to do so (referring to the 733 above).
  • Reply 8 of 46
    My iBook purchased a few months back included an external monitor adapter and (I think) a phone cable but no firewire, but my Powermac G4 450DP purchased 18 months ago DID have a firewire cable.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    My new Mac came with FW and USB extension 2 weeks ago plus some other strange cable - one end Firewire but the other connector is NOT USB or Firewire?

I looked at the back of my Mac to see if it went anywhere and just thought it was a F**k up and trashed it... STRANGE...

Have I just thrown something new and expensive away?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by iDome:

<strong>My new Mac came with FW and USB extension 2 weeks ago plus some other strange cable - one end Firewire but the other connector is NOT USB or Firewire?

I looked at the back of my Mac to see if it went anywhere and just thought it was a F**k up and trashed it... STRANGE...

Have I just thrown something new and expensive away?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That end of the cable is what you plug into a DV Camera. Oooops!

J :cool:
  • Reply 12 of 46
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    iDome, are you saying your new flat-panel iMac came with a FireWire cable?

Consensus seems to point to Apple no longer shipping 6-4 FW cables. That's not a big deal really. They were effectively wasting money before. I know I didn't use mine for over a year...with no DV camera to plug it into.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    It's in the recycling bin, which hasn't been emptied for a few weeks so I'm off to get it...

As if I would buy a lampshade...
  • Reply 14 of 46
    my iMac came with a firewire 6 to 4 cable...have it sitting in front of me....it's pretty with a little apple on the 6 pin side...noticed it right away when i opened my iMac box because i already had one and was ticked because they are not cheap andi could have save 50 bucks (not really, i bought mine over a year ago when my sister in law was out here and filming with her digital minidv camcorder....had to get a cable and try out iMovies and editing....made me decide to get a camcorder for the family). my iMac didn't come with a usb to camera cord though...but the camera did.....so i have a pretty firewire 6 to 4 cable that sits in the second draw waiting for the first one to fall apart (dont think that will ever happen unless the dogs chew it)...g
  • Reply 15 of 46
    mac's girl didn't get a firewire cable?? did anyone else get one with the new iMac?? maybe i am just damn lucky....got my iMac on 2/1, no dead pixels, everything runs great.....

but, so you don't think i am completely lucking...when i down loaded all my files from the old iMac to the new iMac, i ran techtool pro...it said everything failed with my pram and that i had a problem with the volumn structure...now i trust techtool, but the computer was running fine so i thought it might just be that techtool was made for os 9 and i was checking X....but to be safe i ordered drive X....so drive x gets here and i run it and it says i have a problem with the volume structure...now i have been running this computer for almost 3 weeks with no problems, but power down and restart with drive X as the bootable cd...run it again and tell it to make repairs....it runs for a very long time checking all my files and the structure and then shows me side by side the old set up and the new set up it wants to make....then it asks if it should make the changes....the changes it wants to make are so bizarre (it wants to change the current volume from 32 gigs to .0 bytes??) that i say "no" to the changes and just restart....so i'm running the computer as is for a while...i could re-initialize the drive, but maybe some other day...as long as it is working fine i will ignore techtool and drive X....if it breaks down or becomes less stable i will clean and reload everything....but dang X has been very stable for me (not changing to 10.1.3...will wait for 10.2 i think....hated software update with os 8 and 9....alway took me a day or two to get my computer running right again after each update)....g
  • Reply 16 of 46
    What? I thought we were talking cables!!!
  • Reply 17 of 46
    sorry, got off track...yes, my iMac superdrive came with a firewire 6 pin to 4 pin cable...g
  • Reply 18 of 46
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You know, I don't know? Now that I think about it. I don't think my 867 did. I had the flimsy ethernet, a phone cord, a usb, and a USB add a foot Apple cable (I assume it was for the keyboard, or something). I didn't have a 2 sided FireWire cable until I bought an iPod. Curious, I wonder if everything that has FireWire peripherial wise has a FireWie cable that comes with it.

I'm already doubting it. I just bought a Epson USB Photo printer, and it didn't even come with the USB cable. What a Gip/Jip
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Powerbook 667

No firewire or usb cables

I have a phone cable
  • Reply 20 of 46
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Either my dual gig or my wifes superdrive iMac did cause we have a brand new white firewire cable, just can't remember who's machine it came from.