Bush = Hitler according to Moveon.org

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It has since been taken down, but the RNC managed to grab a copy of an ad posted by and relating to a contest being held by Moveon.org

From Drudge Report...

Quote:

MOVEON.ORG FEATURES AD COMPARING BUSH TO HITLER...

ONLINE CONTEST TO MAKE BEST SPOT TURNS VICIOUS. WEBSITE FEATURED AD, LATER PULLED IT AFTER COMPLAINTS, DRUDGE HAS LEARNED.

SEE MOVEON.ORG HITLER/BUSH AD CONTENDER...

MOVEON.ORG SCRIPT

GRAPHIC: Pictures Of Hitler

HITLER: (Speaking In German)

CHYRON: We have taken new measures to protect our homeland,

CHYRON: I believe I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator,

CHYRON: God told me to strike at al-Qaida and I struck them,

GRAPHIC: Pictures of President Bush

CHYRON: and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did.

CHYRON: SOUND FAMILIAR?

BACKGROUND: Cheering German Crowd

[The MoveOn.org rules they say: Content: We're NOT looking for the same old slick political ads from Washington media consultants. Instead, we're looking for really creative ads that will engage and enlighten viewers and help them understand the truth about George Bush. There are some legal limits on what you can do (see below), and we're not going to post anything that would be inappropriate for television, but other than that what you put in your ads is up to you (live action, animation, personal rant, whatever!)

This is what The Simon Wiesenthal Center had to say about it.

Quote:

?Politics and preparing for a presidential election is one thing, but comparing the Bush Administration?s fight against Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein with the policies of Adolf Hitler is shameful and beyond the pale and has no place in the legitimate discourse of American politics,? said Rabbi Marvin Hier, the Center?s dean and founder.

From here.

BTW, keep this in mind when the more liberal folks claim that the left never engages in hate speech or claims Bush is trying to supress speech. This is the type of hateful discourse that passes for political discussion and while the more mainstream publicans and reports elude to it, there are plenty that out right just say it.

This is horrible.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    My liberals friends are making a mistake if they think this kind of thing helps our cause.

But my understanding is that this is a contest that anybody can enter. Not Moveon.org, nor anyone else, has control over submissions. I suppose you can argue that they should have rejected it before even letting others see it, but any bozo can enter any ad they want. For example, how do we know that it wasn't made by a Bush supporter to make Bush detractors look bad? That's probably not the case, but the point is that anybody, some 15-year-old who got iMovie, can makes these ads and submit them. There's nothing official or representative about them.

Also, I don't take anything from drudge at face value. Doesn't he specialize in questionable information? Isn't he like the tabloid of the internet? Maybe it's true, but I'll remain skeptical for now.

[edit] I looked at the rules of the contest:

Quote:

Content: We're NOT looking for the same old slick political ads from Washington media consultants. Instead, we're looking for really creative ads that will engage and enlighten viewers and help them understand the truth about George Bush. There are some legal limits on what you can do (see below), and we're not going to post anything that would be inappropriate for television, but other than that what you put in your ads is up to you (live action, animation, personal rant, whatever!).

• Reply 2 of 66
    the parallels are amazing.

hitler=non-arian pretending to be german

bush=yankee pretending to be texan

chilling...
  • Reply 3 of 66
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

My liberals friends are making a mistake if they think this kind of thing helps our cause.

But my understanding is that this is a contest that anybody can enter. Not Moveon.org, nor anyone else, has control over submissions. I suppose you can argue that they should have rejected it before even letting others see it, but any bozo can enter any ad they want. For example, how do we know that it wasn't made by a Bush supporter to make Bush detractors look bad? That's probably not the case, but the point is that anybody, some 15-year-old who got iMovie, can makes these ads and submit them. There's nothing official or representative about them.

Also, I don't take anything from drudge at face value. Doesn't he specialize in questionable information? Isn't he like the tabloid of the internet? Maybe it's true, but I'll remain skeptical for now.

[edit] I looked at the rules of the contest:

The point is that they had to POST and HOST it. They choose to do so and only took it down when the huge uproar occured. You are right that any 15 year old with iMovie could have made the ad, but moveon.org decided to host it and put it up for others to see.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

The point is that they had to POST and HOST it. They choose to do so and only took it down when the huge uproar occured. You are right that any 15 year old with iMovie could have made the ad, but moveon.org decided to host it and put it up for others to see.

That's a very different scenario than what you've put in the title of this thread. Is there a disclainer similar to those when a TV channel claims that the 'views expressed aren't those of the station' or whatever the hell else they say?

If what you're saying here is correct, then you're posting the same type of garbage I criticized you for in the 'Dean wants to blow up Vermont' thread.

As for the validity of the idea, I'd say Bush going into Iraq is about as well received by the international community as Hitler going into Poland.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

That's a very different scenario than what you've put in the title of this thread. Is there a disclainer similar to those when a TV channel claims that the 'views expressed aren't those of the station' or whatever the hell else they say?

If what you're saying here is correct, then you're posting the same type of garbage I criticized you for in the 'Dean wants to blow up Vermont' thread.

As for the validity of the idea, I'd say Bush going into Iraq is about as well received by the international community as Hitler going into Poland.

I didn't see any such disclaimer on the Moveon site. It is the opposite. They encouraged the ad. They hosted and posted a link to the ad. That is much more than a hands off policy.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Right but I think the rules of the contest were that they would post all ads that were submitted as long as they were "appropriate for television." Then they were going to let others - the judges of the contest I guess - look at them and evaluate them for content. If they had censored some because they might offend someone, couldn't they have been accused of being too PC?

I think you can and should criticize any and all Nazi comparisons, but I don't think it's fair to say moveon.org did anything wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I didn't see any such disclaimer on the Moveon site. It is the opposite. They encouraged the ad. They hosted and posted a link to the ad. That is much more than a hands off policy.

They encouraged ads, not this ad. They host and post links to how many? Are they even reviewed or is it an automated process?

You don't even care. All you want to do is discredit them without supporting your claim. Great.

Where the hell on the moveon.org site was the ad even posted? I looked briefly but couldn't find anything.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    What does "featured on their site" precisely mean?
  • Reply 9 of 66
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    It's an ad contest... people vote on ads.

That's it.

Moveon.org did not create the ad.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    awww.....dear dear....my liberal heart bleeds.

So the the right is getting all antsy now? They are perpetually throwing the harshest, hateful, bigoted filth at their opposition on the left, santioned by big media corporations. Now they start bawling, bleating and get all offended when they get a dose of their own medicine. If the right, who own and control virtually 95% of the media that American people hear, see, and read cant handle a bit of the rough stuff in return, then they should shut the fvck up, or learn that in a free speech society, you have to take the hits, as well as throw them.

Don't forget that these days, if you publicly oppose the Bush Adminstration policies (for example by appearing in an anti-war demonstration, belonging to a pro-environmental group or even writing "the wrong" letter to a newspaper) you may be deemed by the FBI as a potential terrorist, and be banned from flying on an airplane. The FBI's "no-fly list" stood at around 5700 people in September 2003, Even Al Franken, a public figure, had extreme difficulty boarding a flight not so long ago. I guess he wrote the wrong book.

The First Amendment still applies in the US, provided you don't speak out against Bush.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Anyone knows that there is plenty, plenty of hateful stuff on the right, such as daily, constantly, everywhere on any number of right-wing talk shows in the U.S. How about when my country is called "Soviet Canuckestan", as one small but pertinent example? Sure it was a comment from a somewhat fringe element in the United States, but was not soundly denounced and was considered good for a few laughs even by the moderate right. Where is the self-rightous outrage about comparing a capitalist democracy - admitedly a fairly liberal capitalist democracy - but a capitalist democracy just the same - with a communist dictatorship that murdered more than the Nazis?

But liberals come to expect such behaviour from the right, so it is hardly worth comment, by them or anyone else. The right wing does not expect such comments from liberals, and correctly so....
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Man, they are gonna get so much traffic now. And think of the talking points. Looks like the ad worked.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Topic description is misleading. Of course.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

It's an ad contest... people vote on ads.

That's it.

Moveon.org did not create the ad.

Right.

But how did MoveOn.org "feature" the advertisement in question?

Did they "feature" it with 20,000 other submissions?

Did they "feature" it more prominently than others?

Language is a tricky thing. It's important to understand precisely what happened.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Damn... didn't hear Trumpt complaining about Max Cleland's image put up with Osama's.

The submission was on Bushin60seconds.org not moveon.org. However they are sponsoring the contest.

The complaints were by VOTERS on the site! LIBERALS didn't like the ad!

You have to register to vote. Conservatives didn't get the ad removed from the contest... LIBERALS did.

Maybe Trumpt should start a topic...

BUSH IS NOT EQUAL TO HITLER ACCORDING TO LIBERALS.

or:

Conservatives make a big deal about something that no longer can be seen.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    I think someone's going for a dubious record of some sort. What worries me is not that the title of the thread appears to be ridiculously misleading...but that it was posted by a California school teacher. Now that is both scary and sad.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    I read these boards ever since I got a mac. But I refrained from posting until today. But this topic demands a cut and paste from a thread on another message board. (Yahoo finance - CSC)

This was told to someone who was arguing against the policies of the government and was getting beaten up by its supporters. As far as I am concerned, you can compare G.W. to a jackass and that would be doing him a favour.

" You are talking to the brain washed masses, who are asses. They feed on government propaganda, their minds have been conditioned, much as the citizens of Germany were. They will believe any thing their Government tells them, even as the stench of lies are uncovered and the story lines change. They are incapable of rational thought, and follow their leaders blindly down the path to destruction. They will live to see what fools they are, but they won't reconize their contributions to the fate that awaits them. Democracy is dead, and our liberties are only on paper. We are rapidly following the path of Germany before World War II. Bad as he was, Hitler knew what he was doing, Bush is a complete idiot and is destroying us from within."
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

What does "featured on their site" precisely mean?

Buy a dictionary oh parser of many words.

Nick
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I think someone's going for a dubious record of some sort. What worries me is not that the title of the thread appears to be ridiculously misleading...but that it was posted by a California school teacher. Now that is both scary and sad.

So be worried.

You should just state something instead of implying in a conspiratorial manner. How is it misleading? How is it more or less misleading because a school teacher posts the link? Moveon.org has also been criticized for being willing to accept donations from foreign nationals in an attempt to influence American elections. The had a nice long explanation where they pulled the same sort of nonsense. "We didn't accept any yet and we aren't going to, but if we did, it would be alright, really..."

I'm sure if Rush Limbaugh allowed the hosting of something like this from one of his listeners, you wouldn't claim he endorsed the view by allowing it.

I think you've moved from laughable to outright insane.

Nick
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

I read these boards ever since I got a mac. But I refrained from posting until today. But this topic demands a cut and paste from a thread on another message board. (Yahoo finance - CSC)

This was told to someone who was arguing against the policies of the government and was getting beaten up by its supporters. As far as I am concerned, you can compare G.W. to a jackass and that would be doing him a favour.

" You are talking to the brain washed masses, who are asses. They feed on government propaganda, their minds have been conditioned, much as the citizens of Germany were. They will believe any thing their Government tells them, even as the stench of lies are uncovered and the story lines change. They are incapable of rational thought, and follow their leaders blindly down the path to destruction. They will live to see what fools they are, but they won't reconize their contributions to the fate that awaits them. Democracy is dead, and our liberties are only on paper. We are rapidly following the path of Germany before World War II. Bad as he was, Hitler knew what he was doing, Bush is a complete idiot and is destroying us from within."

First welcome to the boards. Second the left claims that their speech is being curtailed because dissention is being called unpatriotic. Well the right is having their speech curtailed by being called Nazis. Last time I checked, I would rather be called unpatriotic any day of the week over a Nazi.

Oh and thanks for claiming about 45% of America are brainwashed masses/asses who would have gassed millions. I'm sure it will endear you to them even more with your second post.

Nick