• Reply 1 of 10
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

possible?

Sure. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    At the quoted price of $70 per 100,000 per year Apple would have to sell the low-end iPod for about $159 not $99. However, there's still the Toshiba 1 inch drive as well. It probably would cost Apple less. Tomorrow, tomorrow......
  • Reply 3 of 10
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Someone (gotr00t) on /. posted this and it seems to be somewhat promising:

"Another important aspect of why this is a good candidate for the drive that Apple might use is because its compatible with the PortalPlayer audio processor... which is the one that the iPod uses.

Its on their site, In the brochure about the 2.0 Gb disk model, on page 2, near the bottom in the section that's labeled "ready to design into your device." http://www.corniceco.com/download/CorniceMarketing Brochure_2.0.pdf [corniceco.com]"

-M
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I say $199. Apple wants the profit margins really high if these new pods are going to cut into current iPod sales.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I say $199. Apple wants the profit margins really high if these new pods are going to cut into current iPod sales.

That isn't the point bunge. The point is to maintain market dominance and use iPods as a trojan horse to get people to buy macs. $199 is too expensive for a low end 2GB miniPod. The $149 price isn't bad but there is something magical about a $99 price.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

That isn't the point bunge. The point is to maintain market dominance and use iPods as a trojan horse to get people to buy macs. $199 is too expensive for a low end 2GB miniPod. The $149 price isn't bad but there is something magical about a $99 price.

Yes, but there is also something magical about a quality built Apple product. If the price dips too low, so will the quality. I would hate to see the iPod turn into just another crappy music player. You can't beat the quality, I would rather pay more for a better built player.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Im sticking to the $99 price point because the original 5 giger was released what, 2 and a half years ago at a price of $399?

I think Apple can cheaply reproduce such a player now, with strong sales bolstering profit margins on the high end, they can afford slim margins on the low end.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

But would you pay 200 dollars for a 2gb player when you could get atleast a 10 for just 100 more? I sure wouldn't unless they incorporated some features into the minipod that rivaled the (assumedly) new 300 dollar iPod. And then the 400 and 500 could have a better feature set than the minipod? Hmm.....
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Well, since a $249 USD 4GB iPod mini exists, then I guess a $199 2GB iPod mini ain't too far off. I think we'll see that one by April-May.

EDIT: Either that, or the current 4GB will be offered at $199 USD.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Well, since a $249 USD 4GB iPod mini exists, then I guess a $199 2GB iPod mini ain't too far off. I think we'll see that one by April-May.

EDIT: Either that, or the current 4GB will be offered at $199 USD.

I doubt it. I can already hear retailers whining about having to keep 8 flavors of a product in stock, god forbid 13.