Dir size not updating in Finder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone had a problem with dir sizes not being consistent in Finder on 10.3?

Example.

you have a 3 folders on the same drive. You drag one folder into another but the folder size doesn't update.

If you delete the .DS_Store file and click on the folder the size will update correctly.

Doesn't look like a permissions issue as all .DS_Store folders have 666 permissons.

Ideas anyone?

Dobby.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Has anyone had a problem with dir sizes not being consistent in Finder on 10.3?

Example.

you have a 3 folders on the same drive. You drag one folder into another but the folder size doesn't update.

If you delete the .DS_Store file and click on the folder the size will update correctly.

Doesn't look like a permissions issue as all .DS_Store folders have 666 permissons.

Ideas anyone?

Dobby.

It's not a permissions thing. It's a cruddy finder thing. :/
  • Reply 2 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    I hear there's a way for the kernel to tell apps when disk activity has occurred. Hopefully Apple will use this feature in the next version of the Finder. In the mean time, I find that, in column view, clicking on a different folder and then back on the original folder usually gets the Finder to update itself.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sometimes i have to duplicate-then-trash+empty a file to get finder to update size reports

um... maybe that isn't clear.

Finder loses the plot and reports suspect numbers for size.

To fix: randomly select and duplicate any file in finder

Cmd-Del to trash the new clone.

Empty trash.

This usually forces a recalculation of drive space from finder.

Is this similar to your symptoms or are you referring to Get Info windows?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

sometimes i have to duplicate-then-trash+empty a file to get finder to update size reports

um... maybe that isn't clear.

Finder loses the plot and reports suspect numbers for size.

To fix: randomly select and duplicate any file in finder

Cmd-Del to trash the new clone.

Empty trash.

This usually forces a recalculation of drive space from finder.

Is this similar to your symptoms or are you referring to Get Info windows?

I think I got myself confused again. I was referring to my downloads folder not knowing there are new files in it. Sorry the same trick didn't work for you.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

I think I got myself confused again. I was referring to my downloads folder not knowing there are new files in it. Sorry the same trick didn't work for you.

You can use folder actions for that. That's what I do. It works pretty well.