'Garage Band' - Confirmed! (officially, now)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...05161356.shtml

Quote:

"GarageBand" will be announced tomorrow.

also xserves, and ipods

Comments

• Reply 1 of 245
    Okay... but what is it?

• Reply 2 of 245
    Your very own Garage Band!

duh!

-Owl
  • Reply 3 of 245
    Shouldn't the name be iGarage Band? 8)
  • Reply 4 of 245
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Final Cut Express : Final Cut Pro

"Garage Band" : Logic ?
  • Reply 5 of 245
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    It's a consumer friendly music app. And it will be free. It's not a pro app.
  • Reply 6 of 245
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Consumer friendly music *mixing* app.

Ie: [record into this, mix it up, start your own] Garage Band.
  • Reply 7 of 245
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    And Apple expects Soundtrack and Garage Band to coexist without unsurpassed customer confusion?
  • Reply 8 of 245
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Soundtrack is a totally different kind of application.

Soundtrack is basically for non-musicians who want to drop their own funky beats.

Garage Band will (apparently) be FOR musicians, for mixing what they've already recorded, rather than pre-recorded samples in Soundtrack.

It is true that technically you CAN use Soundtrack for that purpose, but you can techically use Illustrator as a DTP application too.

The applications have a very different focus, and Adobe seems to keep the distinction between Illustrator and InDesign clear.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Soundtrack is a totally different kind of application.

Soundtrack is basically for non-musicians who want to drop their own funky beats.

Garage Band will (apparently) be FOR musicians, for mixing what they've already recorded, rather than pre-recorded samples in Soundtrack.

It is true that technically you CAN use Soundtrack for that purpose, but you can techically use Illustrator as a DTP application too.

The applications have a very different focus, and Adobe seems to keep the distinction between Illustrator and InDesign clear.

Barto,

I tend to doubt (we'll find out if I am wrong) that "Garage Band" is a FREE imusic app. How many musicians need software like that? 50,000? How many will buy a Mac because of it? 5,000? Why would Apple build an application that virtually no one in their core markets could care about?

Editing video is for the average consumer. They add pre-made music, not creating their own. The average consumer wouldn't know how to make music if handed their own recording studio (I count myself in there). This application idea seems ridiculously out of touch with the consumer. Many of the label signed bands out there are untalented musicians, now imagine opening it up to your cousin.

I would think that "Garage Band" is a way for existing bands to get their music out there rather than a free app to make music. If it is a music iapp, I think Apple has wasted its resources on a low priority.
  • Reply 10 of 245
    I have an idea that garage band will be an app that apple will sell for the ipod platform that activates quality recording. if you think about it, there's no reason apple couldn't produce payware for the ipod...

i can just see all those musicians recording samples and sounds onto their ipod in beautiful stereo - or the spotty yoots thrashing at guitars whilst recording it onto their ipod.

just a thought.
  • Reply 11 of 245
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    atomicham, I totally agree with you. I would be very surprised if Garage Band was a free application. What it is for is amateur musicians basically, and is the market really big enough to create an iApp for? Doubtful. It will probably be in the same league as Soundtrack... non-pro, but still costs money.

I still believe this is very important, as it is a step in bypassing record labels. YOU the musician can play, record, polish and distribute music all yourself using your Mac. The distribution side needs work, it's still not easy to build professional web sites, but maybe Garage Band will help with that too. If you read Steve Job's interview with Rolling Stone, it's pretty clear he is no fan of the record labels.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 245
    iCaramba!
  • Reply 13 of 245
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

If you read Steve Job's interview with Rolling Stone, it's pretty clear he is no fan of the record labels.

Yes and no. He's a big fan of their roles as editors, he just thinks that the big 5 are defending broken business models with abusive and counterproductive tactics, which is a fair cop. What he offers in Rolling Stone is a way for them to turn around, which suggests that he doesn't think they're obsolete.

I can see GarageBand as an iMovie. Think about it: no-one is targeting professional musicians here, any more than iMovie is targeting talented directors. The software doesn't require any sort of distribution architecture beyond what's available to iMovie or iPhoto (.Mac integration and media burning/book printing) because it's not about professional content creation, it's about recording things that are important to families and friends, and making some sort of finished product available in small quantities to families and friends. A free, simple music recording app would be a hit with garage bands all across the world - many of which suck, and most of which never get out of the garage, but who cares? How many iMovies would win at Cannes? It would be a hit with schools, who could record their jazz bands and such and present kids and parents with CDs. It might even be useful to pros in the way that iMovie is, as a quick way to sketch something up.

Think about how many children play instruments. Think about how many grandmothers would like to hear Judy's first string quartet, even if it sounds like so much caterwauling. That's GarageBand's market. It's pretty big.
  • Reply 14 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Think about how many children play instruments. Think about how many grandmothers would like to hear Judy's first string quartet, even if it sounds like so much caterwauling. That's GarageBand's market. It's pretty big.

But, wouldn't you just need an app to record from a mic for that?

There is a pretty cool app on the PC side for teaching kids an instrument. It has a microphone and records the notes you play comparing them to the notes being shown on the screen. It marks where you missed (or misplayed) a note and you can then send the recording and marking to your teacher, parent, whatever (via email).

It just doesn't seem like Apple's area to me (a third party with help from Apple would be better off IMHO). Maybe just I can't see the revolution ahead... Only about 15 hours until we find out.
  • Reply 15 of 245
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    does it come with a fan club (i.e. teenage girls)? lol....
  • Reply 16 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

But, wouldn't you just need an app to record from a mic for that?

Yeah, but why do you need iMovie for your home movies when you could just burn it without fiddling with it?
  • Reply 17 of 245
    Well, after a while I start to wonder how many "Trojan Horses" and free this and that Apple can produce and not waste huge amounts of manpower and capital. That is, how many free or nearly free apps can Apple make that their paid products can support? Having said that, Garage Band would probably be deceptively simple, most of the work being done with the UI and most of the under-the-hood stuff being done between QT frameworks, Audio Units and such that's already been invested in those pay channels.
  • Reply 18 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Yes and no. He's a big fan of their roles as editors, he just thinks that the big 5 are defending broken business models with abusive and counterproductive tactics, which is a fair cop. What he offers in Rolling Stone is a way for them to turn around, which suggests that he doesn't think they're obsolete.

But at the start of the article he says they'll never stop piracy. They've done the research and it's here to stay. Pretty strange comment from somebody running an online music store. How do you explain the apparent contradiction?
  • Reply 19 of 245
    Jobs' point is like petty thievery all over the world today. You'll never stop it completely, no one ever has, no one ever will. People really don't expect to eliminate it. But you can minimize it by competing with the black market and in terms of quality, convenience, peace of mind (in that you know what you're getting, not in any moralist sense), fair price, support, etc.. Piracy will never go away, and those who think they can stop it completely are tilting at windmills. There will always be thieves, but there are fewer thieves when legit purchasing has more value than stealing. It's not all or nothing.
  • Reply 20 of 245
    Quote:

atomicham, I totally agree with you. I would be very surprised if Garage Band was a free application. What it is for is amateur musicians basically, and is the market really big enough to create an iApp for? Doubtful. It will probably be in the same league as Soundtrack... non-pro, but still costs money.

I still believe this is very important, as it is a step in bypassing record labels. YOU the musician can play, record, polish and distribute music all yourself using your Mac. The distribution side needs work, it's still not easy to build professional web sites, but maybe Garage Band will help with that too. If you read Steve Job's interview with Rolling Stone, it's pretty clear he is no fan of the record labels.

Barto

Maybe the iTMS will have a section created in it for "the rest of us" in which any "garage band" can upload their music for maybe a low yearly fee...it would be a very Apple thing to do.