Which new machine?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With MWSF out of the way, I'm ready to replace my PIII 867 Mhz PC! My machine will be used primarily to surf, do word processing, manage my music and for dabbling in photo editing. (i.e., no heavy lifting). I'm currently using purchased, PC versions of MusicMatch, Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0, and Office 2000. I'll be keeping my 19" monitor. Since no new announcements were made, I'd appreciate your thoughts on deciding between the following machines.

1) A Dell Dimension 4600 for $760 with:

2.66GHz P4 w/ 533MHz FSB

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

Combo Drive

80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics

56K Fax Modem

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

3 PCI Slots; 1 8x AGP

2 Internal Drive Bays

2 External Bays

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

or:

2) An Apple G4 Tower for $1,424.00 with:

1.25GHz PowerPC G4 w/ 1MB L3 cache

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

Combo Drive

80GB Ultra ATA drive

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

56K modem

Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

4 PCI slots; 1 4x AGP

4 drive bays

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Judging you are posting on a Mac rumor site, I think you expect some strong recommendations for the Mac. Most of the PC specs are equal to of less than the mac except the processor. I have a friend with that processor and I think it is a little faster. Gigabit ethernet: You'll probably never use it but it is nice to have if you do. The ATI9000 is probably better then built-in video on the PC, and unless you are planning to get a super-duper graphics card for the PC, the 4X in the mac should be good.

My $0.02
  • Reply 2 of 9
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Go with the lowest priced G4, 256 MB, and if you have broadband then take off the modem. Then buy a second party 512 MB Ram module. You will save about $25 (OWC has 400 mhz RAM from $84.95-109.99/ Apple's price for 512 +$125) off of Apples RAM price and $29 off the price for the computer without the modem. Too bad you can't get a 40-60 Gig HD as a BTO option and decrease the price even more, you can always add a second HD later.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    If that is all your doing then I personally suggest the Mac because you will find your user experience so much better.

Also if you have any questions your always welcome to come here to get help and support, and rumors of course
  • Reply 4 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    An eMac? $799 gets you a good computer. $1099 gets you a superdrive.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The Dell is nearly twice as cheap - how important is the money saving to you? If you do go with the Dell, get a better graphics card - the intergrated ones are pretty crap.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

With MWSF out of the way, I'm ready to replace my PIII 867 Mhz PC! My machine will be used primarily to surf, do word processing, manage my music and for dabbling in photo editing. (i.e., no heavy lifting).

umm... why are you looking at a tower?

sell your 19" on ebay for some $$$ and get a nice 20" iMac or cheap cheap cheap $799 eMac

save yourself headaches and dough.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Why get an eMac with a smaller monitor and a 1 Ghz G4 when I can keep my 19" monitor, spend less and get a 2.66 Ghz p4

Why spend $1800 on a 17" iMac with a 1.25 Ghz G4 when I can save a $1000 and get the faster, more upgradable Dell?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Why?

Quality hardware.

Kick ass OS.

Awesome applications (The iApps) that come with it.

No viruses or DRM crap to deal with.

Best of all, NO WINDOWS.

If you are still asking why, try a Mac for a few days and see for yourself.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

Why get an eMac with a smaller monitor and a 1 Ghz G4 when I can keep my 19" monitor, spend less and get a 2.66 Ghz p4

Why spend $1800 on a 17" iMac with a 1.25 Ghz G4 when I can save a $1000 and get the faster, more upgradable Dell?

So you're a troll? That's what I thought. Go away.