The Great Murbot Giveway of 2004 (now with saddening prize reduction info)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have in my possession what may just be the ultimate in upgrade hardware, ladies and gentlemen. Well, Carol A and gentlemen.

(that doesn't mean you aren't a lady, Carol, but I think you may be the only current female member)

Oh, and the gentlemen thing... yeah, could probably scrap that too, considering. Let me rewrite this.

I have in my possession what may just be the ultimate in upgrade hardware, guys and Carol. (perfect)

OK. I grabbed a little hard thing out of an old black workhorse here. No, it's not an old dried up Mars bar taken from an Oprah Winfrey stomach flap, I am talking about a 128MB PC100 SODIMM, pulled from a Pismo PowerBook. Works perfectly, but I already have both of my slots filled (ouch) with bigger sticks.

This wonderful piece of hardware goes to the AI member who, in 30 words or less, does the best job of telling me how great I am. Seriously, lay it on thick. Some suggestions are my rugged good looks, intellectual prowess, or just what a great all around guy I am. Of course, feel free to use your own material if necessary, I'm sure there are many great qualities about myself that I haven't even noticed yet.

Contest closes at 5:00 MTN tomorrow. Get cracking!

PS - if you are uncomfortable about making your infatuation with me public, you can substitute Canada for me. She likes the attention too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    You are to a Canadian what Miller Lite is to beer.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    You are so great, so huge. You are the master of the white lands, the lord of the barrels ....

Well enough for today, i don't need that RAM.

However i have a G3 350 CPU somewhere. If someone is interested, i may be try to ship him (or her )
  • Reply 3 of 58
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I´ll top that.
    • 128 mb of iBook g4 ram

• One copy of office 98 (Legal. Bought a new copy of Office X. Not an upgrade)

• A surprise

So who do you want to spill your praise on? Lets play a game of "Me against the Mod"

And now for another competition. Whoever who are ready to "owe Anders a really really big favour" there is the grand prize. A semi functional Newton 2100 (I´m able to get life into the thing sometimes but haven´t got any clue whats wrong with it) with different add ons. It will probably be best suited for someone who know Newtons. I´ll ship it all to the lucky winner who are the person I trust will cash in on the favour thing later. The favour will be something like shipping an MINiPod and bags of Jelly Beans (My two most wanted things from US right now). I pay for products and P&P both to you and me.

(I actually offered the ram a week ago but the thread seems to have dissapeared. Sorry if anyone actually wanted it but now its used for a better purpose.)
  • Reply 4 of 58
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I have in my possession what may just be the ultimate in upgrade hardware, ladies and gentlemen. Well, Carol A and gentlemen.

(that doesn't mean you aren't a lady, Carol, but I think you may be the only current female member)

*cough* *cough...*
  • Reply 5 of 58
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Well, if I weren't a man..... and you weren't a man........ I'd rock your lesbian world.

also, am I the only one who wants to know what the A stands for in Carol A?
  • Reply 6 of 58
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    murbot is the only person that has caused me to bookmark any single threads in appleinsider because they were (still are) so good.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    pity the next murbot sacrificial hard drive
  • Reply 8 of 58
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The person who swaps machine the most frequently = best person on the planet
  • Reply 9 of 58
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And now for another competition. Whoever who are ready to "owe Anders a really really big favour" there is the grand prize. A semi functional Newton 2100 (I´m able to get life into the thing sometimes but haven´t got any clue whats wrong with it) with different add ons. It will probably be best suited for someone who know Newtons. I´ll ship it all to the lucky winner who are the person I trust will cash in on the favour thing later. The favour will be something like shipping an MINiPod and bags of Jelly Beans (My two most wanted things from US right now). I pay for products and P&P both to you and me.

well, i have no particular interest in the ram or office98, but i'd love the newton. throw me in the hat on that one. i love a challenge. and i'll gladly middle-man a pod buy. i've been clamoring for an isaac for some time now, but haven't really gotten around to the actual acquisition yet. to keep you interested, if i win you get to find out who the mysterious person behind [thuh Freak] really is (that is to say, you'll see my real name on the return address of the minipod reship). i didn't catch the availability date on those minipods, but i can be at the apple store that day (or possibly the first saturday following), as i live in manhattan just walking distance from the soho store. i could, of course, instead have it shipped to my address if that is preferrable. i could even throw in a little dagga to sweeten the pot, as they say. jelly beans would not be a problem.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'll be damned if I'm going to stroke the ego of a canuck. The rest of you have no self respect.

Now a Dane, that's another story...

(Anders, remember who pointed you in the direction of SPSS a while back... and I can do it again if you need a favor for that Newt )
  • Reply 11 of 58
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Giaguara!!

Damn, sorry about that. Posted this in too much of a rush. I even have a nude photo of you, and I go and do that... sorry.

Anders you bastard, I'll top you. I'll also include a white Apple sticker complete with signature, and a video of me signing the sticker too! Ha!

It'll be worth something some day.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

murbot is the only person that has caused me to bookmark any single threads in appleinsider because they were (still are) so good.

ditto...

but... I really don't need that ram stick (out of curiosity, what computers would be able to use it?) so murbot can suck on it...

even though you are one of the funniest AI members... You seem to crave attention... plus there is this thread... SHAMELESS! (which I have to admit is a big part of your humor, so it is a wash.) edit: now that Apple sticker is a different story... damn you murbot!

ok, so maybe wanting attention isn't bad at all when you are so damn entertaining!

Anders... I would be interested in helping you out. I will be making a trip to NH relatively soon so I could pick you up an iPodmini with NO TAX plus a $20 EDU discount!

what kind of jellybeans do you like?

I'd be interested in office for OCD reasons (I have retail 2001 and X CDs)

what computers would that iBook ram work in?

While I would LOVE to have a newton I've never played with one so I will yield to thuh Freak on that one
  • Reply 13 of 58
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Oh, Oh, Oh.... A sticker...

Tell you what. Put the RAM under that wobbly table leg and send me the sticker!

Oh yeah, the compliments. You are the best... period!
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Good entries so far. You guys are all great, except Paul.

edit - added the smiley. I know you should know better by now, but I don't want anyone being really offended by that.

heh
  • Reply 15 of 58
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

No, it's not an old dried up Mars bar taken from an Oprah Winfrey stomach flap...

I now have this terrifying mental image that I can't get rid of.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    RAM, I dont need no stinkin RAM. Take your RAM and shove it where the sun dont shine.

Hmm. It works on so many levels.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    murbot,

On a cold, Canadian, winter night. The streets of Toronto light up with warmth and wonder as a sound whispers across the building tops. When I hear this sound, my thoughts settle on you, my eyes close, and my heart slows.

Dreaming of you,

\\/\\/ickes

^^^

The above is my entry. It is longer that 30 words, but murbot, you are worth much more than just 30.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Sorry, posts with gay-love overtones get you an immediate disqualification.

Maybe we should just say that people who would actually use, and really want this RAM, speak up.

• Reply 19 of 58
    Well I have an iMac 333 tray-loading with only 128Mb in it. I plan to one day put OSX on it because I am OSX deprived, and use OS 8.6 on the iMac.

Most RAM upgrades for this iMac cost too much $$$ because SO-DIMMs of that kind are not as widley available.

Currently both slots are used with 64Mb each. The extra 64Mb total memory this SODIMM would provide would help with OSX so much.

The only time I get to use OSX is when I am at the local Apple reseller, so I would like to own a Mac running OSX.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    will this So-Dimm work?

I thought that the 66 bus on those models were a different design then their 100+speed cousins