mr.macphisto ....we need to talk.......

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i was very pleased to see apple introduce or announce rather G5 X serves today.

however.......i did gleen a bit of information or rather i read between the lines of a statement that mr.jobs said.

he implied that getting a 0.09um G5 processor in a 1U form factor was difficult.

did you not hear that?

if its this hard for a 0.09un G5 to fit in a Xserve housing then how will they do it with a powerboook?

i dont like this.....at ALL.

unless this exotic cooling system that they are working on is some amazing breakthrough i think apple should go with the rumoured 750vx for the laptops.

i know most people want a G5 in the next powerbook but if its going to be hot why bother?

mind you ive heard complaints about the present powerbooks in regards to the heat issue and they have the cool motorola 7447 or 7457 chip in them.

why try to shoehorn this hot processor in a powerbook when you have options,especially when those option dont include using untested and potentially dangerous cooling methods?

when is this 750vx coming out?

we need it now!

then again.....perhaps this cooling system NEEDS to be developed,not just for powerbooks but for powermacs and xserves.

after all they do run hot.

im getting a little worried here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

i was very pleased to see apple introduce or announce rather G5 X serves today.

however.......i did gleen a bit of information or rather i read between the lines of a statement that mr.jobs said.

he implied that getting a 0.09um G5 processor in a 1U form factor was difficult.

did you not hear that?

if its this hard for a 0.09un G5 to fit in a Xserve housing then how will they do it with a powerboook?

i dont like this.....at ALL.

unless this exotic cooling system that they are working on is some amazing breakthrough i think apple should go with the rumoured 750vx for the laptops.

i know most people want a G5 in the next powerbook but if its going to be hot why bother?

mind you ive heard complaints about the present powerbooks in regards to the heat issue and they have the cool motorola 7447 or 7457 chip in them.

why try to shoehorn this hot processor in a powerbook when you have options,especially when those option dont include using untested and potentially dangerous cooling methods?

when is this 750vx coming out?

we need it now!

then again.....perhaps this cooling system NEEDS to be developed,not just for powerbooks but for powermacs and xserves.

after all they do run hot.

im getting a little worried here.

I did not hear this part of the keynote. However, there is great chances that at equal mhz a 90 nm G5 produce less heat than a 7457 (both chips have the same number of transistors). a 1,6 GHz powerbook should be able to work in a powerbook.

The Xserve, is a dual computer and was clocked at 2 ghz. It must add some complexity.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I saw no confirmation that this is the 970fx, though it does seem very likely it is. The CPU is not released by IBM yet, but its close enough. With a 6-8 week lead time, it sounds like they will not ship until the official CPU release.

If this is the 970fx it still will take a bit of juice to run this at 2Ghz, but as it clocks down its power consumption will go down a lot as well. Apple still has to figure out how to dissipate the heat off of such a small surface area efficiently, once they crack that nut, they will be coming.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Firstly, I don't think a 64 bit chip is necessary in the PowerBook or will end up in it until the Power5 derivative. It is designed to work better with laptops and will function on better tech.

Remember this, the Xserve is much smaller than the PowerMac and has to be designed to be stackable. The XServe housing is 852.545 cubic inches compared to the PowerMac G5's 3,044.547 cubic inches. Considering that the Xserve is stackable and can hold 3 Serial ATA HDDs, has two gigabit ethernet interfaces, two firewire 800 ports, two PCI-X slots that could produce a lot of heat, depending on the cards - it only makes sense that cooling is tough, especially considering that it doesn't appear to have independent cooling zones. Also having a high-spin serial ATA drive can add some heat in comparision to a low-spin laptop HDD.

Granted, the PowerBook enclosure would be much smaller, BUT a PowerBook will not need to use as much processing power as the Xserve will most of the time - AND will not need to have dual G5s sitting next to each other. It also will only need to account for one, lower spin HDD and no PCI-X or PCI slots. Apple also won't have to account for stackability or being near a large, hot RAID.

That said, I still think IBM's next generation 32bit PPC chip (commonly called the 750VX, although it is NOT a 750) is and will be the solution. My best guess, according to the IBM timelines I now hear, is that Apple could have them in machine come March. I'm not too sure Apple will put much hoopla into it - it may end up as a sidenote in PDF files relating the specs. I'd expect for the PowerBooks to reach speeds of up to 2GHZ and the iBooks to, maybe, hit 1.5-1.6, depending how fast Apple wants to scale. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 980 (as it is commonly called) in the PowerBooks by Christmas. I personally hope Apple will call it a G6 because it will be more advanced than the G5 and offer many, many improvements. So, it is my OPINION that the PowerBooks and iBooks (and maybe every other Apple machine)will feature 90nm processors by the time May comes around. I can see the eMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks, and maybe an updated PowerMac G4 (name change maybe?) using the IBM "G4" and the iMac, Xserve, and PowerMac using a G5. The iMac could end up with a 2GHZ IBM "G4" as well.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    i think your right about apple using the 750vx or whatever it will be called.

do you know anything about a 64-bit version of this chip?

i remember seeing something on macrumours about a 64 bit low power processor coming from ibm in 2005.

i cant see apple waiting until the 980 comes out and putting that in a powerbook right after having a lowly motorola g4 in powerbooks for so long.

but anything is possible with apple.

do you think apple will call the 750vx a "g4"?

i cant wait to see what apple has up its sleeve in regards to xserve.

all i read on these boards is how the xserve is a "niche" product.

not for long.

im wondering how these 750vx chips will come into play considering apple will be migrating its OS to 64-bits.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

Firstly, I don't think a 64 bit chip is necessary in the PowerBook or will end up in it until the Power5 derivative. It is designed to work better with laptops and will function on better tech.

Remember this, the Xserve is much smaller than the PowerMac and has to be designed to be stackable. The XServe housing is 852.545 cubic inches compared to the PowerMac G5's 3,044.547 cubic inches. Considering that the Xserve is stackable and can hold 3 Serial ATA HDDs, has two gigabit ethernet interfaces, two firewire 800 ports, two PCI-X slots that could produce a lot of heat, depending on the cards - it only makes sense that cooling is tough, especially considering that it doesn't appear to have independent cooling zones. Also having a high-spin serial ATA drive can add some heat in comparision to a low-spin laptop HDD.

Granted, the PowerBook enclosure would be much smaller, BUT a PowerBook will not need to use as much processing power as the Xserve will most of the time - AND will not need to have dual G5s sitting next to each other. It also will only need to account for one, lower spin HDD and no PCI-X or PCI slots. Apple also won't have to account for stackability or being near a large, hot RAID.

That said, I still think IBM's next generation 32bit PPC chip (commonly called the 750VX, although it is NOT a 750) is and will be the solution. My best guess, according to the IBM timelines I now hear, is that Apple could have them in machine come March. I'm not too sure Apple will put much hoopla into it - it may end up as a sidenote in PDF files relating the specs. I'd expect for the PowerBooks to reach speeds of up to 2GHZ and the iBooks to, maybe, hit 1.5-1.6, depending how fast Apple wants to scale. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 980 (as it is commonly called) in the PowerBooks by Christmas. I personally hope Apple will call it a G6 because it will be more advanced than the G5 and offer many, many improvements. So, it is my OPINION that the PowerBooks and iBooks (and maybe every other Apple machine)will feature 90nm processors by the time May comes around. I can see the eMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks, and maybe an updated PowerMac G4 (name change maybe?) using the IBM "G4" and the iMac, Xserve, and PowerMac using a G5. The iMac could end up with a 2GHZ IBM "G4" as well.

• Reply 5 of 11
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    exotic cooling is here!

cooligy
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet ]i think your right about apple using the 750vx or whatever it will be called.

do you know anything about a 64-bit version of this chip?

The chip is 32bit by design and falls into IBM's 700 series, so there is no possibility of a 64 bit version. The 900s are the 64 bit chips.

Quote:

i remember seeing something on macrumours about a 64 bit low power processor coming from ibm in 2005.

There will be lower power versions of the Power5 derivative (980) that should arrive by the end of this year.

Quote:

i cant see apple waiting until the 980 comes out and putting that in a powerbook right after having a lowly motorola g4 in powerbooks for so long.

It really depends on several factors. Is it feasible, both economically and from an engineering perspective, to jam a 970 into a Powerbook? At a low enough clock rate the answer is yes, BUT if a 32bit chip with a higher clock rate can be had that has good performance and is more efficient, is it best to go with that?

Quote:

but anything is possible with apple.

Well, to a certain point. They're not going to turn water into wine anytime soon.

Quote:

do you think apple will call the 750vx a "g4"?

I can't see what else they'd call it. G5 is taken and G6 is out of the question. It has the Velocity Engine and is more advanced than the G3s were, so my guess is G4 will stick to it. They may modify the G4 designation by calling ti something like a G4+, but that's their decision.

Quote:

i cant wait to see what apple has up its sleeve in regards to xserve.

all i read on these boards is how the xserve is a "niche" product.

not for long.

I think it will still be a niche product, although the niche will be larger. Xserve is great in some instances and in others it is not. Where I think Apple will really succeed is with the XRAID and what they're allowing to plug into it. I do see Apple making a larger impact in the server market.

Quote:

im wondering how these 750vx chips will come into play considering apple will be migrating its OS to 64-bits.

Well, that migration is going to take a while and doesn't mean you can't leave the door open - especially considering PPC architecture. A new 32 bit chip from IBM gives them help on the low-end of the line until such a time as it becomes feasible to put 980s or 970s in everything. I see them using a 32bit chip in some products for at least another two years. It's going to be a while before the iBook is transitioned to 64 bit, for instance.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crobin

I saw no confirmation that this is the 970fx...

Have you checked Apple's documentation for the G5 xServe?

What's New

? Single or dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 processors

using 90-nanometer process technology
  • Reply 8 of 11
    i think the powerbook line needs a bit of a jump in clockspeed and power,similar to the one we got when apple intoduced the g5.

if what you have said about the ibm "G4" is true we should get that.

im kinda thinking that we will get one more motorola update before we go all ibm no?

im also intrigued by what steve said yesterday in regards to the G5.

he said "we have a lot of good things coming this year"

if what im hearing about the 980 being 50% faster per clock speed than apple will be able to crush the super speedy AMD 64!

i think apple will be aggressive with the powermac specs,especially in light of the fantastic sales of the G5!

but im thinking apple has something very sneaky up its sleeves in regards to VIDEO.

i dont know what it is but soemthing amazing is coming.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    inubinub Posts: 45member
    Hope springs eternal. Personally, I wouldn't put anything past Apple at this point. They've got a lot of tricks up their sleeve, and they seem ready to use every last one of them. Besides, it's nothing new to put a hot, fast chip in a laptop. The 970 is a lot cooler than the Pentium 4, and you see lots of laptops with big, hot, fast processors already. Granted, they're thicker and heavier, but that's only because they aren't as good at design as our favorite fruit company.

As for the VX chip, I'd look for that in the consumer models, and the pro models getting the 970 chip. Even though, from what I understand, the 980 is cheaper than the 75xx chips. Gotta love that.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mr.macphisto

ive been thinking about this whole powerbook issue again.

what good would it be for apple to introduce a powerbook based on the 750vx if they intend to use the 980 later?

why dont they just wait for the 980?

or maybe they will use both processors.

the more i think about it the more it makes sense for apple NOT to even try to put a 970 in a powerbook.

• Reply 11 of 11
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

mr.macphisto

ive been thinking about this whole powerbook issue again.

what good would it be for apple to introduce a powerbook based on the 750vx if they intend to use the 980 later?

why dont they just wait for the 980?

or maybe they will use both processors.

the more i think about it the more it makes sense for apple NOT to even try to put a 970 in a powerbook.

I think I missed something here. What is so magical about the 980 which is supposed to be at a higher clock rate and have more transistors than the 970 that will allow it to consume less power than the 970?

I think there is an answer, we just don't know what it is yet