remote like OSX install question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi,

i have a 667 powerbook with a broken DVD player and i want to install a clean version of jag.

is it possible to install 10.3 via firewire or ethernet to this laptop? I have a desktop b@w to run the install cd's on. i just cant seem to figure out if its possible.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it IS possible, just be careful. The firewire bug could bite you in the ass...

just load the TiBook in target mode (hold t at startup) and plug it into the BW

then put the CD in the tray, and run the installer. computer should reboot and you should be able to pick the TiBook's drive from the available hard drives to install from (when you come to that option)

be sure to search the knowledgebase about the FW bug to make sure you avoid it tho...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hi,

Im bumping this because im getting ready to pull the trigger... i have some more questions though...

1. i just installed 10.3.4 from the apple disks on an g4 imac.. and during the install, the installer rebootted the machine twice i think.. maybe just once..

if im installing OSX on my laptop and it needs to be rebooted...im confused if the desktop and laptop will loose the ability to 'know' that OSX is being installed via firewire to the laptop..

2. what is the firewire bug for this machine.. i cant seem to find the info at apple.

thanks.