WTC Memorial Design Selected...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...and low and behold, it's the one I was hoping for ("Reflecting Absence"). I just think that design with all the stone / granite structuring, coupled with the waterfalls that you see through the glass is just really powerful. Some of the others were very thoughtful in their approach but either impractical or too "busy" IMO.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/06/ny...-MEMORIAL.html

Video

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Damn. I was pulling for a friend's submission.

I wonder how they're planning to resolve the memorial scheme with the master pan. That one takes a few big, uh, liberties with Libeskind's scheme. Peter Walker is a very good landscape architect though. I hope he's fixed the scaleless desert that the street level plan is in the first public presentation. They allude to this, so we'll see.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Looks familiar. Lemme guess? Everyone's name is etched into the stone?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    True dat. Plus it's got the MLK memorial thin-veil-of-water and the over-the-edges-of-a-stone-base things going on.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I was originally thinking / hoping that the names would actually be etched on that glass, but I don't know that particular detail.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    where's the eternal flame?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    the names will be etched on the walls of the reflecting pool in random order to signify the haphazardness of the act.

at least that's what i thought i heard peter jennings said.