Coolest Product of Macworld.....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if it came with a HD it would be worth it... lower the price otherwise to under $200 and I'm sold!

but yes, very cool.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    So did you open the old EyeTV box you got for Christmas?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    corbucorbu Posts: 40member
    Agreed it is very cool and very close to what I have been looking for. Better still would be a device that size that had a large storage capacity. I want my macs to access its common and central media files rather than it to access their decentralized and possibly private files.

Next rev should offer a upgradable HD.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    A normal set top box, such as a TiVo is also able to do most of these functions. The real difference I see is the 'Internet Services' feature, but I think it might be my own ignorance about TiVos that I haven't figured it out yet.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Argh.

Quite nice... except it requires a G4 on the other end of the connection to serve up the files.

*fume*

Why oh why, when I can QT Broadcast from my G3 server just fine? *sigh* T'ain't like they have to invent a new system to stream the files... jeez.

*SO* close.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Does anyone have any idea if the EyeHome will play protected AAC files, and if so, if it counts as another authorized computer?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Does anyone have any idea if the EyeHome will play protected AAC files, and if so, if it counts as another authorized computer?

Found the answer myself. The EyeHome won't play protected AAC files:

Quote:

From the Elgato web page:

Q: How do I use EyeHome to listen to music through my TV?

A: Just add any MP3 or non-encrypted AAC track to iTunes, and it will automatically show up in EyeHome. You can play individual tracks, or a whole playlist. Purchased music from the iTunes Music Store cannot be played back by EyeHome, unless it is changed into another format like

MP3.

• Reply 8 of 15
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    Where can you get license to Fairplay? Or find a way to get around it? If there is a solution, we will try to support it. The device itself already support AAC, just not the protected format.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Have you ever imagine auto sync your Safari folder and surf the web on a large Plasma TV? Note that your computer might be in your bed room but you are in the living room. It also serve Internet radio.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Kickaha, actually I am running it on my iMac G3/500 and my iBook G3/700, I think Elgato just wanted to play safe.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Fran441, I don't know about you, but I have all my iTunes songs and iPhoto pictures in my iMac and I don't think I wanted to transfer to another device like Tivo.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by limtc

Kickaha, actually I am running it on my iMac G3/500 and my iBook G3/700, I think Elgato just wanted to play safe.

yup, works great (if thats the only thing you are doing) on my G3 400 iMac...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

yup, works great (if thats the only thing you are doing) on my G3 400 iMac...

You really understated your machine. The software (both EyeHome and EyeTV) are running in background, the machine also servers as a software base station, my son playing MacMAME on it running games like 19XX, and all the software like Safari and Address are loaded.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    For you folks that have one up and running, how has the unit settled in after a few months of operation. Does the eyeHome have built in wireless networking or do you need an add on to get it see a wireless router/basestation? Is the screen resolution of the eyeHome changeable or is if fixed output? Does it scale pics automatically down to screen size if they are bigger?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Works quite well. I don't answer for Elgato, but you can see from the FAQ this version needs to attached to the Airport. The screen resolutions can work for both PAL and NTSC, and picture does scale depending on NTSC or PAL.

Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

For you folks that have one up and running, how has the unit settled in after a few months of operation. Does the eyeHome have built in wireless networking or do you need an add on to get it see a wireless router/basestation? Is the screen resolution of the eyeHome changeable or is if fixed output? Does it scale pics automatically down to screen size if they are bigger?