Crappy video playback with Radeon 32MB AGP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This problem has me ready to boil over. All graphics (2D, games, QE, etc.) with the exception of videos are flawless. If I play a video with either QT 6.5 or WMP, the playback looks crappy. It's not choppy but the colors, especially reds and blues seem to bleed over, and I get vertical pixel wide lines of varying length that are red or blue or white.

I applied the Radeon update and that didn't change anything. I have pics of the distortion but I don't have anywhere to host them.

G4 Sawtooth AGP 350 w/ Sonnet 1GHz upgrade

Radeon 32MB AGP

896 MB Ram

1027x768 millions of colors

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I have a similar setup, but with a 16MB Radeon and running at 1280x1024. I'm also running Panther, and have no video issues.

What kind of videos are choppy? DVDs? Quicktime movies? The only thing that runs choppy is when I play SVCDs using VLC. These same SVCDs play fine on MacVCD, though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

I have a similar setup, but with a 16MB Radeon and running at 1280x1024. I'm also running Panther, and have no video issues.

What kind of videos are choppy? DVDs? Quicktime movies? The only thing that runs choppy is when I play SVCDs using VLC. These same SVCDs play fine on MacVCD, though.

.MOV/.MPG/.WMP files are what I have been playing in QT and WMP. iMovie also has the same problem. The video isn't choppy, it has the distortion I mentioned above.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

.MOV/.MPG/.WMP files are what I have been playing in QT and WMP. iMovie also has the same problem. The video isn't choppy, it has the distortion I mentioned above.

Sorry, didn't read carefully.

Loose cable or card, perhaps? Seriously.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I tried reseating the card and I also checked the cable, no change. It's weird that it is only during video playback that this is happening. Any other "graphics" work fine...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Now, since I have installed the ATI Radeon update, the G4 won't wake from sleep. Grrrrrr.

Reinstall, here I come.