QTSS and QuickTime Broadcaster Help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been given the task of learning about these technologies for a potential future purchase at work. What are some good resources on getting this software up and running?

Basically my workplace wants me to learn the capabilities of the software and how to set it up and run it so I can convince them that we need an Xserve. Does anyone have first hand experience with it? Anyone know of a good resource other than apple.com? Thanks....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I use Quicktime broadcaster to transmit Enterprise to my wireless laptop in my bedroom. Took some time setting up but I then again I am not an expert with QT Broadcaster. It's cool, but I have few uses for it.

EDIT: Wait! I also use it to record TV in MPEG4 and any other format I want.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ebby: care to post some specs of your setup?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    how do you use it to record?

you might want to tool around on www.apple.com/quicktime/

and take a look at the streaming server page...

there will be a link to the darwin version of it that you should be able to install for free and play with (I did it the other day for the hell of it...)

broadcaster of course is free and I use it to capture from my iSight
  • Reply 4 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yes, I have first hand experience with it. It's braindead simple

1) Download and set-up QTSS, most importantly the varous broadcast passwords. Turn it on.

2) Plug-in camcorder and turn it on. If you're not recording with it, leave it without a tape inside. Most cameras auto shut-off after idling a bit with tapes loaded.

3) Download and run QuickTime Broadcaster, the default settings should allow you to connect to your server provided the necessary info. That amounts to going to the Network tab, making sure transmission is Automatic Unicast, drop in the hostname or IP of the QTSS machine, drop in broadcast username and password you created in QTSS. Click Broadcast.

3) The location of your stream will be rtsp://blah.whatever:554/mystream.sdp . mystream.sdp because I didn't instruct you to change the name of the streaming file in the Network tab pane.

4) View /Library/QuickTimeStreaming/Movies in Finder. This is the document root for your QTSS. Try streaming rtsp://blah.whatever:554/sample_300kbit.mov or something.

5) QTSS also lets you make playlists of movie files in its web interface. It's drag & drop from within the browser itself. Playlists for movies should be .sdp files too.

6) If you're wondering how to make these movies embedded in web pages rather than being viewed in the QT Player app itself, you'll need another app called MakeRefMovie. It should be available on the developer website. Ref movies are shells for http or rtsp URLs like the ones above. You make the ref movie, and it points to the streaming file on your QTSS for example. Then you treat it like any other inline object on your website
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Eugene,

Thanks for the play-by-play. For now I'm on a regular X installation, rather than the server. I'm going to test it as a proof of concept before they commit to the server. Would you know if there are significant differences between the desktop setup and the server setup?

Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Ebby: care to post some specs of your setup?

I have a Dual G5 connected to a home LAN with a wireless hub. A sony SLV-R1000 VCR is connected to a Hollywood DV bridge (They were bought so the name changed to something I don't know) and that is connected to the firewire port of my G5.

Record to disk is easy. Just hit the button "Record to disk" and click broadcast.

The hardest part is getting the max bandwidth. You have to export some kind of reference movie (from the file menu) after any changes you make.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Would you know if there are significant differences between the desktop setup and the server setup?

I don't have access to a Panther Server set-up.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I don't have access to a Panther Server set-up.

Great. I guess this means you use it on the Desktop version of Panther? That's where I'm going to setting it up as well.