Premature Specification...Take 2

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

In case it changes by morning, Apple Canada's homepage stating the Xserve G5 features up to Dual 2.3 Ghz G5 processors.....

http://www.apple.com/ca

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Hmmmm....

Considering these were just introduced, I would say either they have 2.3 GHz XServes in testing (not too hard to believe) or just another fat-fingered Apple webmaster.

If 2.3 is a reality, where does that put the rest of the PM line?

2.3, 2.5, 2.7?

Is this possible? All I have seen lately was 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, etc. I guess if some yields were 2.3 GHz, they could be thrown at the Xserves, but why add yet another processor speed to the mix?

• Reply 2 of 24
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    We're sorry, the fingers you have used to dial are too fat.....
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Interesting... Apple hasnt been the best lately, when picking out people to do their websites, eh?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    IMHO, SafariX has found a genuine slip. We'll see a speed bump on the PMs, and then the Xserves announced at the same speed, before the Xserves are even shipped.

They announced 2.0GHz at MWSF because they didn't want to hurt sales of current PMs. Think about it - if they'd announced 2.3GHz Xserves, everyone would know that 2.3GHz PMs were coming, so who'd buy one?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    hhmmmm....

sounds a bit too much like a cock up to me.

but you've got a point
  • Reply 6 of 24
    connerconner Posts: 22member
    Powerdoc posted in another thread that "For marketing reasons IBM should not ship a server faster than a tower" and I would agree with that statement. I'm expecting Towers up to 2.4GHz (and possibly to 2.6GHz seeing that the XServe has the 90nm chip in them showing they're ready for prime time) announced by the end of the month, and then shortly after the 2.3GHz XServes spotted here will be anounced.

RevB towers are looking better and better (:
  • Reply 7 of 24
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    No no no no... that's just due the conversion into Canadian dollars.

• Reply 8 of 24
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

• Reply 9 of 24
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

That's what I was going to say!

I wonder how many GHz that XServe has when you convert to Euro or AUS $.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

screw that... convert to yen.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

The way the YanquiDoller is heading, about 0.25.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ah, the Megahertz myth meets collapsing currencies

.... but even yesterday's purchases took this whole wheelbarrow full of _________

(insert your favourite devaluing currency here) ... baht, peso, lire...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hmm, Apple doesn't seem to have a good supply of web-master's lately. Not that I'm knocking the site design or anything, it's just that a small number of BIG slip-ups get noticed.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Quote:

If you want to see a bad Canadian conversion rate check out Toy Story 2 on DVD. Go the part where they're in Al's toy barn and Rex is looking at the cheat guide. Looks towards the end of the scene. For a split second (gotta go frame by frame) you can see a U.S. price and a Candian price.

A hockey puck to the first one that comes up with it.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Does anyone have a cache version of this pic ? It was indeed removed apparently, damn it.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

If you want to see a bad Canadian conversion rate check out Toy Story 2 on DVD. Go the part where they're in Al's toy barn and Rex is looking at the cheat guide. Looks towards the end of the scene. For a split second (gotta go frame by frame) you can see a U.S. price and a Candian price.

A hockey puck to the first one that comes up with it.

Conversion rates are ever changing, and over the last year the US dollar has dropped vs the Canadian dollar (And most other currencies).

For example, on December 31, 1993 the Canadian dollar was worth .7566 US dollars. It dropped to .7058 on March 6, 1995 before rebounding for a bit (back up to .7527 on October 3, 1995) - remained fairly steady for a few years, then in 1997 started declining, first dropping below .70 to .6988 on December 19, 1997, hanging around there for a while before falling again, and eventually getting as low as .6202 on January 18, 2002. Then, it started its way back up, crossing back over .70 to .7044 on May 1, 2003, and finished January 9, 2004 on a 10 year high of .7867.

So it was bad a few years ago, but now the Canadian dollar is doing pretty good vs the US dollar.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    For some reason, last Fall Dubya decided to devalue the US dollar. WhY? I wish I knew, but it's working, the dollar's value is falling *shrug*.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

For some reason, last Fall Dubya decided to devalue the US dollar. WhY? I wish I knew, but it's working, the dollar's value is falling *shrug*.

Because it makes exports cheap and imports expensive. Though, lots of luck buying that US manufactured hifi...

Not sure how Apple prices its manufacturing contracts, but given that all Macs are manufactured outside the US, it could end up making Macs more expensive... at least in the longer term.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Because it makes exports cheap and imports expensive. Though, lots of luck buying that US manufactured hifi...

Not sure how Apple prices its manufacturing contracts, but given that all Macs are manufactured outside the US, it could end up making Macs more expensive... at least in the longer term.

Yes, I understand how it changes our perceived cost of goods here and abroad, I just think reducing the value of the dollar is the same mindset that pushes short term gains at the expense of the long term in order to look more positive to watchers. After all, someone has an election to win next Fall.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    As a kid, I remember when the Canadian Dollar was worth more than the US$

</feels old>