G5 is 90nm already!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
According to a very recently released whitepaper from Apple the current G5 processor is made in 90nm SOI technology already!

http://a2000.g.akamai.net/7/2000/51/...werPCG5_WP.pdf

Page 15 Top and Page 13 3rd paragraph.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Correct, but it's also still cooled by 7 fans or something so not sure what powerbook owners can look forward to. Well I'm looking forward to my powerbook now decreasing in value greatly for a little

Also this is being discussed, or has already in a thread about the XServe.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Correct, but it's also still cooled by 7 fans or something so not sure what powerbook owners can look forward to.

hmm. i am invisioning something along the lines of an apple branded fire resistant trouser or shorts.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Correct, but it's also still cooled by 7 fans or something so not sure what powerbook owners can look forward to. Well I'm looking forward to my powerbook now decreasing in value greatly for a little

Also this is being discussed, or has already in a thread about the XServe.

No its cooled by 9 fans and the reason is, is to make the machine quieter. Its a very advanced cooling system. I'm quite confident that they could have cooled it from less, though it would have been louder. and the cooling system would have been entirely different.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

No its cooled by 9 fans and the reason is, is to make the machine quieter. Its a very advanced cooling system. I'm quite confident that they could have cooled it from less, though it would have been louder. and the cooling system would have been entirely different.

Ok so you have hot and average sounding, or pretty warm and loud? Not much of a compromise if you ask me. I still think they need to get some things worked out or even a different chip if they plan to get powerbook g5s faster then the current one (in strictly MHz)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Ok so you have hot and average sounding, or pretty warm and loud? Not much of a compromise if you ask me. I still think they need to get some things worked out or even a different chip if they plan to get powerbook g5s faster then the current one (in strictly MHz)

The reason the Xserve has 9 fans is purely for redundancy. If one of the fans stops working, the others speed up to compensate. Plus, remember that it's 9 fans to cool two-chips, not just one. It means that a, say, 1.4 - 1.6 Ghz G5 could quite possibly fit well in a Powerbook.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Apparently you have never used a MDD machine.. You may think its not much of a problem but a lot of people don't like to have a machine that sounds like a vacuum cleaner right next to them.. The G5 fixed this like many apple users asked for. Simple as that. Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Apparently you have never used a MDD machine.. You may think its not much of a problem but a lot of people don't like to have a machine that sounds like a vacuum cleaner right next to them.. The G5 fixed this like many apple users asked for. Simple as that. Thanks.

Are you going to design a grater style PowerBook? Or perhaps the linear in and out air design the G5 has Or make it quieter by having as many fans as the G5 does so they all don't have to be huffing and puffing at full speed?

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying you can't make a PowerBook as efficient of a cooling system as the G5. Even with 1.6Ghz you are getting a lot of heat. I think you COULD put a 1.6Ghz G5 into a PowerBook, but you'd get tons of heat (even more then the 15" 1.25Ghz which gets pretty darn warm), and you'd have shitty battery life because of the heat produced.

In short...doable of course, practical no.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    So many threads to put stuff it but since this one is all about the 90um

macrumors say (from white paper) the die size has shrunk from 121 sq mm to 66 sq mm !!!!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    How many Watts of heat do the 130um and 90um G5 dissipate?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Are you going to design a grater style PowerBook? Or perhaps the linear in and out air design the G5 has Or make it quieter by having as many fans as the G5 does so they all don't have to be huffing and puffing at full speed?

What? Where the hell did that come from?

No No I am not going to do any of that. I am just going to sit here and tell you that you are an idiot.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I'm not a tech genius, but couldn't Apple use some kind of on-board controller to throttle down a .9 nm 2 gz G5 to something that would run cooler, like 1.6? Also, consider that servers are under constant, heavy load, with CPU's running under 100% load 24/7/365. Laptops aren't usually going to be at 100% CPU, except for short intervals, and those intervals will get shorter with a G5. A laptop doesn't need as much cooling as a server, simply because it doesn't do the kind of heavy lifting a server does.

I'm sure they're well along with the design phase, and we'll see these chips in laptops mid to late spring.

CV
  • Reply 12 of 18
    PowerTune is supposed to throttle down the CPU to save heat/battery
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

PowerTune is supposed to throttle down the CPU to save heat/battery

I know that throttles it up/down rapidly in response to changes in demand, and expect that it will be on G5 laptops as well, but isn't there some way they can "downclock" a CPU so that it's max. output would be 1.6 or so?

I ask because word is IBM won't be fabbing the .90 NM chips at lower clock speeds than 2 GZ.

CV
  • Reply 14 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    You can dynamically control a 970's clock speed now. In fact, that's how PowerMacs currently work: The 2GHz CPUs in the top-line model actually run at 1.6GHz until the extra power is needed. Given that, it wouldn't be at all hard to have a 970 run at some percentage of its rated speed when switched to battery power. It could even switch to a very low idle and only bump up to, say, 80% when it had to. The only practical limit is the minimum clock speed of the chips and busses involved.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    There has also been some talk about liquid cooling

Pismo era Powerbooks already make use of a "heat pipe".
  • Reply 16 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

I ask because word is IBM won't be fabbing the .90 NM chips at lower clock speeds than 2 GZ.

Well if that's true that's a pretty sure give away that this won't be in iMacs or PowerBooks.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The only practical limit is the minimum clock speed of the chips and busses involved.

So that means that if the processor is running on a 1GHz bus, its minimum speed will be 1GHz (1x1GHZ)?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

So that means that if the processor is running on a 1GHz bus, its minimum speed will be 1GHz (1x1GHZ)?

No, it means that there is a point at which the CPU or bus just can't go lower - I understand that this is because the voltage that drives the computations is only in place for so long before it drains away, but a more hardware-oriented person would have to answer that for sure. You can't clock a 970 down to 1Hz, for example, but Apple can (and does) clock the 2GHz 970 down to 1.6GHz, and the bus down from 1GHz to 800Mhz.

The ratio between the 970's clock and the bus clock is never less than 2:1, so a 1GHz bus means, at the very least, a 2GHz 970. Furthermore, the 970's clock is always an integer multiple of the bus clock (unlike the G4, which can run at e.g. 8.5:1).