iChat issues, using 80% process

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I notice my fan running sometimes, and i check TOP in terminal. says iChat is uing 70-90% process, and its the 17" 1.33ghz powerbook with 1gig ram. If i close it and reopen it, it will be fine for a while. Today it did it again after 5min.

Any ideas or happen to others?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Did you try all the "quick fixes?" Check out this thread for more info. Try deleting your caches and repairing permissions, that may solve your problem. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    On my G5, Ti 500, and G4 800 (that I use at the office) I have experienced this problem. Usually quitting iChat and launching it again solves the problem. Usually it won't happen unless I have a chat open with someone, but then when I close that chat window the CPU load won't go down. I haven't disabled Rendezvous-based chat to see if its the culprit.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Clearing cache fixed it. I know what to do about every week. Closing helped it for a while. I have rend. turned off.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Cool, I'll purge my caches on the boxes and see what happens. However, if this problem can only be solved this way, Apple really should be looking in to it. I doubt any novice users are emptying their cache directories on a regular basis. And truthfully, nobody should need to do this ever.