Looking for cool/best of Powerbook products

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My wife just got a new 12 inch Powerbook and she is looking at getting some "accessories" and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on certain products. She is especially interested in the latest/greatest/coolest so if you know of something new, just let me know.

She is especially looking for:
  • Mouse - anyone have opinions on Bluetooth functionality and does anyone like non-Apple branded better (such as Logitech). Any good two button mice?

• Keyboard - pretty much the same as above... any thoughts on the Apple Bluetooth model?

• Stand - We have seen the iCurve stand and are curious if anyone has other suggestions.

We will be travelling with it throughout Europe, but she will also be using it in the office with a 19 inch LCD. So if anyone has any "must haves" I would appreciate it.

NOTE: Alright, probably should have been in General Discussion, but I can't delete it!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I can't comment on stands or a blue tooth mouse. I use a logitech corless mouse, and i'm sure if they do make a bluetooth mouse it would be just as good, and i will buy one someday.

I have an apple bluetooh keyboard and I quite like it (especially compared to the built in keyboard.)

It feels just like the apple keyboard (wired) that ships with imacs etc. Setup was very simple and although it loses the connection when the computer is put to sleep (i'm guessing bluetooth is turned off in sleep mode) it still works very well. I haven't had any other connection issues and i can use it to control the machine from another room (not sure why you would need to do this)

There are no assignable function keys, but it has the volume, mute and eject keys. And the F14 and F15 keys control the screen's brightness.

IF you are looking for assignable function keys (internet functions, etc), then the apple keyboard is not for you, but other than that i can't see any other standard bluetooth keyboard being any better than the apple one.

I've only had it for 3 weeks, so i can't comment on battery life.

I'm using the keyboard with my 15" AlBook's built in bluetooth.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by imanta

My wife just got a new 12 inch Powerbook and she is looking at getting some "accessories" and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on certain products. She is especially interested in the latest/greatest/coolest so if you know of something new, just let me know.

She is especially looking for:
    • Mouse - anyone have opinions on Bluetooth functionality and does anyone like non-Apple branded better (such as Logitech). Any good two button mice?

• Keyboard - pretty much the same as above... any thoughts on the Apple Bluetooth model?

• Stand - We have seen the iCurve stand and are curious if anyone has other suggestions.

We will be travelling with it throughout Europe, but she will also be using it in the office with a 19 inch LCD. So if anyone has any "must haves" I would appreciate it.

NOTE: Alright, probably should have been in General Discussion, but I can't delete it!!

World Travel Adapter kit

Extra Battery

and if you've got two Macs, perhaps a pair of iSights
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    CD-Rs

CD-RWs

Kensington laptop lock
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

She is especially looking for: Mouse - anyone have opinions on Bluetooth functionality and does anyone like non-Apple branded better (such as Logitech). Any good two button mice?
    Keyboard - pretty much the same as above... any thoughts on the Apple Bluetooth model?
    Stand - We have seen the iCurve stand and are curious if anyone has other suggestions.

Try the Microsoft BlueTooth mouse; it works with the 15" AL PB's built-in BT and it has TWO buttons. That alone makes it better than Apple's own BT mouse.

I also recommend a CoolPad.

• Reply 5 of 6
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

She is especially looking for: Mouse - anyone have opinions on Bluetooth functionality and does anyone like non-Apple branded better (such as Logitech). Any good two button mice?
    Keyboard - pretty much the same as above... any thoughts on the Apple Bluetooth model?
    Stand - We have seen the iCurve stand and are curious if anyone has other suggestions.

Hmm de dee. If you want two buttons + scroll wheel, then look outside of apple:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1 The MX 700 should be an excellent mouse if you're right-handed (I'm not.)

If you can't afford the MX 700, don't want cordless, or are not right-handed, then consider the MX 300. It is a simple 3-button optical mouse, with the exceptions of a fourth, little button and the MX stuff.

There's also the Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks, with a tiny wireless adapter and a small body.

On the keyboard...

I think an Apple Pro Keyboard is a fine keyboard, but whatever.

Any keyboard that is USB will probably work for the Mac. For instance, we have a Microsoft 'Net Keyboard Pro, and it works fine for the Mac. The drivers with the 'Net Pro let you make the Windows key the Command key (the Windows key is in the same location as the Command key,) or I believe the Mac uses the Alt or Ctrl key as the Command key.

A little checking shows that Logitech makes the Elite and Internet Navigator keyboards, which are USB and wired. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1 Scroll down a bit.

http://www.kensington.com/html/2529.html

StudioBoard keyboard

http://www.kensington.com/html/2530.html

Multimedia keyboard for Mac

http://www.kensington.com/html/1412.html

Basic USB keyboard

And if you love the old ADB keyboards, maybe this what you want:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ate/index.html

Use an ADB keyboard with a new Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I had a 12" 867 for awhile ('til it was stolen). I had both the iCurve and the Podium Coolpad.

I personally loved the PB keyboard - I preferred it. I used the CoolPad as a result. If you're using a LCD with it, you'll probably use an iCurve -- unless you want to put the LCD behind and above the PB, which I thought was awkward.

I second the recommendation on an extra battery.