Anyone here had Mono?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi there. I mentioned this in the Orange Juice thread, just thought I'd start my own Mononucleosis thread. I was diagnosed 4 days ago and am currently suffering through it. Just wondering if anybody has any tricks to relieve the sore throat. This is sooooo annoying! I can even eat Jello. Is there anything I can do? I would also like to hear others' stories about how long/severe/annoying your guys' cases were.

All I want in the world right now is to drink a glass of OJ!! Not gonna happen though.

The floor is open,

-Dual 867

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dual867

Hi there. I mentioned this in the Orange Juice thread, just thought I'd start my own Mononucleosis thread. I was diagnosed 4 days ago and am currently suffering through it. Just wondering if anybody has any tricks to relieve the sore throat. This is sooooo annoying! I can even eat Jello. Is there anything I can do? I would also like to hear others' stories about how long/severe/annoying your guys' cases were.

All I want in the world right now is to drink a glass of OJ!! Not gonna happen though.

The floor is open,

-Dual 867

Best cure for mono is a string of garlic around your neck, and some chicken manure in your top left-hand shirt pocket. ( make sure its fresh )

As to the orange juice, yes you can have it.. Just add a handful of chopped up union, raw liver, two raw eggs and a dollop of dijion mustard all mixed in pint of milk.

Alternatively,

You'll have to lay off kissing.

You only get mono from kissing one date at a time.

From now only go out on dates with twins.

• Reply 2 of 19
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i know this sounds strange but I just got over a mono-induced hepatitis and I ate kudo's (lots -- like two boxes in a day), and that actually seemed to kill the sore throat.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    i've got the sore throat and i've been gargling with warm salt water. it's helping.

ironic someone named dual has mono.

get well.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I haven't had it, but I thought I was going to get it. I was drunk on New Year's Eve, as was everyone else at the party that I was at. I ended up hooking up with like 5 girls, but one of them thought she had mono. It turns out that (luckily) she doesn't so I'm not worried anymore.

Not that this helped, but it made me think about it
  • Reply 5 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    It's been a couple decades, but I seem to recall drinking chocolate malts / milk shakes a lot when the throat thing was really bad. Basically what people do when they have their tonsils out.

Note: you can get mono *all sorts* of ways that don't include anything sexual. Water fountains, drinking from the same glass / cup as another infected person, sharing food, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    The threshold for "hooking up" must be lower than I thought.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I got it as a gift from god.

• Reply 8 of 19
    "I thought I had mono once... went to the doctor and it turns out I'm just really lazy."
  • Reply 9 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I thought that most people got it in their teen years, it's just that not everyone gets as bad as everyone else so many people don't even think they've had it. I thought I remember reading this when my friends started getting it and I was looking up information about it. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable can say. All I know is that all my friends that have had it make it look like it sucks and then everyone starts to worry and think they have it and it's annoying to listen to
  • Reply 10 of 19
    You can get it at anytime. (i am beyond my teen years)

I didnt have the fatigue, but hepatitis.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

I haven't had it, but I thought I was going to get it. I was drunk on New Year's Eve, as was everyone else at the party that I was at. I ended up hooking up with like 5 girls, but one of them thought she had mono. It turns out that (luckily) she doesn't so I'm not worried anymore.

Not that this helped, but it made me think about it

Dude, all 5 sound like real catches. Get a ring on that finger!

Just make sure she doesn't hook up with your best man. Rings don't plug holes, you know.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    forgot what movie it was from, but my favorite mono line.

"I thought I had mono once, then I realized I was just lazy"
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

forgot what movie it was from, but my favorite mono line.

"I thought I had mono once, then I realized I was just lazy"

i thought i had deja vu but i looked back and realized alcimedes is just lazy.
  • Reply 14 of 19
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

The threshold for "hooking up" must be lower than I thought.

oh, i thought he said hookering up!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Dude, all 5 sound like real catches. Get a ring on that finger!

Just make sure she doesn't hook up with your best man. Rings don't plug holes, you know.

Just how drunk were you? Do you happen to remember your friends vehemently encouraging you and laughing as you walked over to the girls?

"Alcohol doesn't make girls do anything you don't want to do, it just lowers their inhibitions, and that is something that is good for all of us"
  • Reply 17 of 19
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I have had a couple of friends who have had it. It took one guy down for two weeks and really ****ed up his grades. Worst part was that he was feeling (um donno what the term is, aftershocks maybe?) the symptoms off and on for about two months after the really bad stuff had cleared up.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I had it many (many) moons ago, and didn't find anything that helped. I was sneaking my Dad's prescription Motrin (it was that long ago) because Tylenol didn't do a thing to help. The Motrin didn't do much either. One friend suggested gargling with a mixture of Jack Daniels and honey. I tried it and almost gagged.

I ended up with hepatitis as well. They put me in the hospital, gave me Tylenol (no more sneaking Motrin ), and took my blood. Lots of blood-- it was a training hospital and they weren't always successful on the first try!

Not that any of this helps. But you have my sympathies.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    holy crap. i didn't even notice that post. i even checked to make sure it didn't say "edited by...."

wow. maybe i really do have mono.

(and IIRC the movie was wayne's world)