Spell Checker In Every App!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wish it was at least...

I will say I think that it greatly increases my spelling and I'm tons more likely to go back and correct a word I misspell if there is a red line under it then any other time. I wish AIM had this!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    This is (relatively) very easy to do, if only more developers took advantages of the frameworks Apple has provided. But then again, iChat and Adium are both better alternatives to AIM, and both have spell checking.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Every cocoa app has this.. In any cocoa app just right click on a misspelled word. Use it all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    in Panther, Spell check is now enabled even for incomplete words...

feel a spelling brain cramp coming?

avoid it by throwing down a few letters and option-escape then clicking the correct choice.

[EDIT: corrected]
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I believe you can activate autocomplete by hitting control-escape or some other odd key combination. I'm not at a Mac to check.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Well, well WELL! Thanks for that tidbit, I knew it marked them- but my @#$@, YOU ARE RIGHT! Thanks a million!

~tommy
  • Reply 6 of 21
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    testing

hmmm...

not really working over here...

how do you reproduce auto-complete?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

But then again, iChat and Adium are both better alternatives to AIM, and both have spell checking.

iChat is a joke. I prefer AIM over anything I've tried.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    <off topic>

I thought so too, until I got iCAR, so now it actually sends my away message. I still prefer Adium, have you used Adium 2? It has spell checking, and a whole mess of other cool stuff. And AIM is clunky, ugly, and slow as hell. Plus the sounds in AIM aren't 'pretty'

</off topic>
  • Reply 9 of 21
    wait until tomorrow to get adium

going to be a BIG update soon...

http://adium.sourceforge.net/
  • Reply 10 of 21
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    the old adium had serious problems...not being able to check away messages, among others. i'm really pumped to see this new one, though I'll probably stick with ichat. i need iChat for its AV capabilities. plus, it looks so pretty
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

testing

hmmm...

not really working over here...

how do you reproduce auto-complete?

if you're running Panther (and Safari... not sure if all other browsers support it)

type obnoxio and CTRL-click (or right click) on it.

obnoxious is the spell checker's "guess".

more correctly, option-escape and pick your choice

seems to work better for some (longer) words than others,

and works better in Appleworks (perhaps accessing better dictionary)

[ EDIT: corrected ]
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

<off topic>

I thought so too, until I got iCAR, so now it actually sends my away message. I still prefer Adium, have you used Adium 2? It has spell checking, and a whole mess of other cool stuff. And AIM is clunky, ugly, and slow as hell. Plus the sounds in AIM aren't 'pretty'

</off topic>

I don't understand what is clunky about AIM, I like having separate windows for each IM, and I like the way it looks minus the advertisements. There was in 9, isn't there a way to remove it in OS X? Also I despise sounds anyways, the only sound I have on is first message received so that I can tell if someone has messaged me while I'm playing a full screen game.

I wanted to have the computer say the name of the sender but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with AIM.

I also have used spell check on this post way more time then you could imagine!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I don't understand what is clunky about AIM

Among the list of reasons I despise AIM:

No spellcheck.

No message text antialiasing.

Message windows too big; wasted whitespace.

Ugly OS9-esque buttons and widgets.

Non-descriptive buttons and widgets.

Weird right-click behaviors in the buddy list. Maybe this has been fixed in the most recent version, but I haven't bothered to check.

No spellcheck.

No message text antialiasing.

The blinking "CLICK ME CLICK ME CLICK ME LOOK OVER HERE" icon with new messages.

Ugly smilies, particularly the normal-large size ones. I use a small font just so other people don't have to see them. Even my friends on Windows that use AIM agree with me on this.

Advertisements.

Advertisements.

Advertisements.

Advertisements.

No contact name aliasing.

Confusing preferences. Does there really need to be two huge sets of options?

And did I mention the ugly ugly text that's aliased in the messages where spellcheck doesn't work? After three-and-a-half years of OSX, AOL still can't figure this one out!!

I use *anything* but AIM unless I'm left with no choice. AIM for Mac OS X has one of the worst interfaces for an app of such popularity. It baffles me that AOL can't hire a decent UI designer for a week or even steal some ideas from other OSX apps to make a better-looking product. Being free and from AOL, though, reminds me that sometimes you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I don't understand what is clunky about AIM, I like having separate windows for each IM, and I like the way it looks minus the advertisements

....snip...

I have noticed in AIM that messages take a few extra seconds to refresh, stuff like that. iChat doesn't have tabbed message windows, and in Adium you can turn it off. I don't know, I mean, it's all a matter of preference, but I think AIM for OS X seems more Windows in nature, from a software point of view, and iChat and Adium seem more in sync with the Mac way of operating.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

if you're running Panther (and Safari... not sure if all other browsers support it)

type obnoxio and CTRL-click (or right click) on it.

obnoxious is the spell checker's "guess".

seems to work better for some (longer) words than others,

and works better in Appleworks (perhaps accessing better dictionary)

yeah thats spellcheck... but you said something about autocomplete.. I assumed that meant if I typed "monst" I would be able to choose monster or monstrosity... instead I get moist...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

yeah thats spellcheck... but you said something about autocomplete.. I assumed that meant if I typed "monst" I would be able to choose monster or monstrosity... instead I get moist...

You do? I didn't think it was THAT exciting.

• Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You do? I didn't think it was THAT exciting.

Classic.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Auto-complete is option-escape. As you're typing a word, press option-escape and a scrollable list will appear.

• Reply 19 of 21
    Thanks Brad.

My woolly head with this damn cold meant I mis-explained that... confusing the occasional success of the spell checker with the far superior response of the auto-complete via option-escape.

Works brilliantly.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    AH BRILLIANT!

holy shit this is going to kick ass for writing papers!

KILLER "feature" for TEXT EDIT!!!!

(what's interesting is the apostrophe use... in the regular spellcheck it doesn't check for them... IE "dont" gets suggestions everywhere from dot to donut instead of the more obvious "don't" ("option-esc"ed from don) )

now I just have to wait for OW5 and I'll be happy (remember last year at this time safari was just released and spellcheck was OFF by default? SOOOO annoying!)