wmfwmf
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.970eval.com/

It'll only cost $10,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wait, something is screaming at me that this won't work with OS X. Wow, ten grand. That's like three grand more than the KBB value of my car.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    mmmmm...needlessly complicated and expensive. It should work with OS X, if it works at all. Upgrade cards aren't "officially" supported, but I don't see why this wouldn't work, it's not an x86 chip. However, like I said, this is needlessly complicated, so it probably won't work.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

mmmmm...needlessly complicated and expensive. It should work with OS X, if it works at all. Upgrade cards aren't "officially" supported, but I don't see why this wouldn't work, it's not an x86 chip. However, like I said, this is needlessly complicated, so it probably won't work.

It also does not have Apple boot rom.

It certainly won't work (with OS X that is).
  • Reply 4 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If it has Open Firmware there is a chance.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Read your Mac OS X license agreement. Just because it's possible to run Mac OS X on a 'clone', you are only licensed to run Mac OS X on Official Apple Hardware. I don't expect Mac clones any time soon.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    videovideo Posts: 8member
    Who would buy a mac clone? I wouldn't. Why support another company with money. We want Apple to rise above them all.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    It's a joke, folks. I just figured I'd post it before someone else did.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

It also does not have Apple boot rom.

It certainly won't work (with OS X that is).

Okay...I really don't know a lot about the technical computer stuff, I was just throwing my guess out there. Thanks for correcting me Keep up the good work.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    This clone is not for the consumer market. It's for computer or embedded companies.

For the price you can have three dual G5
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

This clone is not for the consumer market. It's for computer or embedded companies.

For the price you can have three dual G5

While were on the subject of embedded hardware...

Microsoft sells a huge amount of Win2K/XP embedded licenses per year.

Apple really needs an answer to Win2K/XP embedded.

A (cheap) G3/G4 board bundled with a OSX license would be a good start.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Read your Mac OS X license agreement. Just because it's possible to run Mac OS X on a 'clone', you are only licensed to run Mac OS X on Official Apple Hardware. I don't expect Mac clones any time soon.

Fran is totally right, except of course individual users can ignore the hell out of EULAs all they want. Especially in friendly countries like Australia where copyright law includes causes disallowing EULAs from going beyond copyright law.

To get Mac OS X running on these things probably requires two things.

1) Install Mac OS X on a hard drive on a Mac (or use MoL), and connect it to the "clone"

3) Use "boot" to boot it (assuming it has openfirmware, you'll never get it working otherwise)

2) Oh yeah, you gotta write drivers... good luck with that.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 19
    iPod boots up on an Apple OS. Can't they make cell phones and other devices do the same? My guess is that the technology for embedded OS already exists with Apple. However in their infinite wisdom, they are not going to open up their OS to anything not built by Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

1) Install Mac OS X on a hard drive on a Mac (or use MoL), and connect it to the "clone"

3) Use "boot" to boot it (assuming it has openfirmware, you'll never get it working otherwise)

2) Oh yeah, you gotta write drivers... good luck with that.

in that order of course
  • Reply 14 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

iPod boots up on an Apple OS. Can't they make cell phones and other devices do the same? My guess is that the technology for embedded OS already exists with Apple. However in their infinite wisdom, they are not going to open up their OS to anything not built by Apple.

The iPod's OS is not a general, portable one. It was written for the Portalplayer platform.

Apple's not in the business of writing embedded operating systems, in fact Linux (with it's huge developer base and hardware support) does that better than anything Apple could do.

Eupfhoria: yeah, in the order of numbers, it wouldn't have been any fun to put the "catch" in the middle instead of the end

Barto
  • Reply 15 of 19
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

The iPod's OS is not a general, portable one. It was written for the Portalplayer platform.

Apple's not in the business of writing embedded operating systems, in fact Linux (with it's huge developer base and hardware support) does that better than anything Apple could do.

Barto

Of course, the iPod OS isn't actually developed by Apple, but by Pixo who seem to be (or were) in the business of writing operating systems for portable platforms (and which is now owned by Sun BTW) along with content delivery systems for mobile operators etc.

Apple seemed to have some troubles getting an OS cobbled together for the iPod (probably a time constraint issue rather than capability) which is why they licensed one from Pixo originally. Consequently, don't expect anything much in the way of mobile OS offerings from Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Not Future Hardware. Sending to Current Hardware.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

Of course, the iPod OS isn't actually developed by Apple, but by Pixo who seem to be (or were) in the business of writing operating systems for portable platforms (and which is now owned by Sun BTW) along with content delivery systems for mobile operators etc.

Apple seemed to have some troubles getting an OS cobbled together for the iPod (probably a time constraint issue rather than capability) which is why they licensed one from Pixo originally. Consequently, don't expect anything much in the way of mobile OS offerings from Apple.

It could also be viewed like this:

Apple successfully outsourced the development of iPod software/firmware and the resulting product has been extremely profitable and universally praised by pretty much everyone.

Choosing to outsource a portion of the iPod's development isn't an indication that Apple was incapable or even that Apple was having difficulties. Not that we know that Apple _wasn't_ having 'troubles getting an OS cobbled together'. They certainly could have been having 'troubles', yet this is a rather unsupported assumption on which to base an evaluation of the product's development.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    anybody have the X-toaster link?

-walloo.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Momentum posted a picture of the board:

Too bad you can't order one from newegg, at a more reasonable price of course.\