12-inch PowerBook revision (Rev.C)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A recent news item on the AI front page reports on a revision to the 12-inch PowerBook.

Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

PowerBooks

While details of the next major overhaul to the PowerBook product line remain up in the air, sources claim that a major architectural revision to the 12-inch PowerBook is currently underway at Apple. The end result of the modification will aim to further differentiate the low-end PowerBook from the company's 12-inch iBook family, sources say.

I still haven't bought a new 12-incher for financial reasons so, who knows, maybe I'll wait for Rev.C. It couldn't hurt to get the new iLife suite included for free as well. Of course, the big question is what kind of processor, G4 or G5, such a revision will bring. The other point that makes me wonder is the "differiation" from the 12" iBook. How could Apple further differentiate the 12-inch PB from the 12" iBook?

Discuss!

Also, happy new year to everyone here at AI!

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Ambient light sensors and light up keyboard

ATI GFX chip

Find a place for a PC Card Slot

FW800 (even if that is the only port, ship it with an adapter)

the Mini-DVI-->S-Video adapter comes standard

2nd mouse button on the trackpad???

not much more you can do (other then boring processor/bus/memory/HD improvements)...

the current miniBook is close to ideal...

BTO-COLORS?!?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Of course, the big question is what kind of processor, G4 or G5, such a revision will bring. The other point that makes me wonder is the "differiation" from the 12" iBook. How could Apple further differentiate the 12-inch PB from the 12" iBook?

I think a G5 will be more than one revision away (perhaps no more than two?).

Other things that could be done:
    • Improve the screen quality. I like my 12" PB, but I think its display is a bit dim and washed-out looking, and with too narrow a range of good viewing angles. Higher screen resolution than 1024x768 would also be something to consider. A little more res could be tweaked out of the display even without reaching the "Squintronic" (I forget which AIer coined that marvelous word!) Apple prefers to avoid. There's certainly a little room left for a narrower bezel around the edges of the screen.

• Add a PC card slot. I don't feel a great need to have one of these myself, but it would make the 12" PB match the 15" and 17" features better.

• Lighted keyboard, or least the option of one like the 15".

If I worked at it, I could probably come of with a few more ideas, but those are the leading ideas that come to mind for me.

I'd like the see the entire PowerBook line get a two-button mousepad -- having to use control-clicking when using the trackpad is annoying.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I think shetline is on the right track (and re: Squintronic, you're welcome ).

I'm actually hoping for the 12" to turn into a "real PowerBook" mostly because of what that will mean for the iBook: It will suddenly be able to take a SuperDrive, bringing the full capability of Apple's multimedia apps to the classroom (and to the consumer laptop pricepoint as well).
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'd like the see the entire PowerBook line get a two-button mousepad -- having to use control-clicking when using the trackpad is annoying.

there is a way you can do something like this NOW with all of apple's trackpads....

uControl

keyboard remapping... and the ability to use the "trackpad button" differently then the "built-in button" (IE make a 2nd mouse button...)

it would be nice if they could map click and hold on the big button to be a drag operation... I would set the big button to be the control-click one, but I use that button for dragging all the time...

I'd also like the rest of the line to have a side-loading media drive like the 12"er too...
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Quote:

Originally seen at uControl:

...and even providing a one handed typing feature for those with disabilities.

Why is it, when I read the phrase "one handed typing", that "those with disabilities" is not the first thought that came to mind?
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Why is it, when I read the phrase "one handed typing", that "those with disabilities" is not the first thought that came to mind?

it was removed
  • Reply 7 of 57
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    More speed.....mmmm
  • Reply 8 of 57
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think that Apple won't be able to differentiate the 12" PB from the 12" iBook enough OR even be able to figure out (initially at least) how to fit a G5 into a 12" Powerbook.

Therefore I'm saying right now that I believe Apple will drop the 12" Powerbook when the PB line goes to a G5 processor. This strategy will keep Apple from having to figure out how to cool a G5 in such a small enclosure while still making the PB feature-rich AND allow the 12 and 14" iBooks to really spread their wings and grow without being inhibited by a 12" Powerbook.

The 12" PB *could* return eventually into the Powerbook line, but I think initially it's going to go bye bye for a while when the G5s are released.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    not a chance....

apple will put a G5 in that will be hot... but not so hot that it won't work in the 12" form factor...

have some faith in IBM...
  • Reply 10 of 57
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

not much more you can do (other then boring processor/bus/memory/HD improvements)...

How in God's name can you call that boring???
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think that Apple won't be able to differentiate the 12" PB from the 12" iBook enough OR even be able to figure out (initially at least) how to fit a G5 into a 12" Powerbook.

Therefore I'm saying right now that I believe Apple will drop the 12" Powerbook when the PB line goes to a G5 processor. This strategy will keep Apple from having to figure out how to cool a G5 in such a small enclosure while still making the PB feature-rich AND allow the 12 and 14" iBooks to really spread their wings and grow without being inhibited by a 12" Powerbook.

The 12" PB *could* return eventually into the Powerbook line, but I think initially it's going to go bye bye for a while when the G5s are released.

I feel the same, the G5 will make its home in the 15" first, and probably the 12" last...

sux, but very plausible....
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by shabbasuraj

I feel the same, the G5 will make its home in the 15" first, and probably the 12" last...

sux, but very plausible....

Even running at 1.2 GHz, a G5 would be an improvement over the 1.0 GHz G4 currently used in the 12" PB. And being that it will likely be one of the new 90nm chips, it would probably use less power than the G4. The bus speed could be 400 MHz (CPU speed/3) or even 200 MHz (CPU speed/6) and still be an improvment over the current 133 MHz FSB. (The memory subsystem runs at 266 MHz, but since the CPU can only access memory at 133 MHz, the 266 MHz speed doesn't typically do a whole lot of good.)
  • Reply 13 of 57
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Whatever happened to the watercooling-in-laptop rumors? Didn't some company that developed a water-cooling system for chips say that Apple was interested in their technology? I want a laptop, not third-degree burns.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quality issues aside, the 12" PB isn't much different from the 12" iBook. I'm pretty much hoping for features on par with at least the current 15", or perhaps equal to the next 15". That would mean it should have:

Revamped logic board design, including faster bus speed

FireWire 800

PC Card slot - A single Type I slot would be fine

To differentiate from a price standpoint, I think they'll drop the lower-end config, and make a single $1799 model with:

1 or 1.25 GHz G4

256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM

60 GB HD, 4x SuperDrive

Gigabit Ethernet

This sounds like a ho-hum config, but I'm trying to be pragmatic - you have to think that when Apple figures out the cooling issues with the 970 chip, they'll throw everything around a board design for a PB G5 model. Until then, they'll keep the course steady with incremental improvements.

Maybe the PC Card slot is wishful thinking, but I'd sacrifice a small amount of thickness for a slot. I think it'll work if they stack up the USB ports and move those and the FireWire port more towards the front. Then they could stack the Airport card slot and the PC Card slot. I'm no industrial design whiz, but I don't see why they couldn't do this.

I doubt that the resolution will go any higher. Apple has always gone pretty conservative with their resolutions. Besides, I don't think anyone currently makes a 12" TFT or a notebook with a 12" screen that goes higher than 1024 x 768. Both the Sony V505 and the Sharp Actius run in XGA.

An interesting thing about the subnote history with Apple is that it's highly infrequent. We've only had the Duo series, the wonderful 2400c, and the current 12" PB/iB. The subnote will always be on the trailing edge of innovation in Apple's world, so we shouldn't expect too much out of it.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

No! This can't happen. There is no reason for Apple to drop the 12" PB, this would be a huge mistake marketing wise. If anyone can get a G5 into that enclosure, it's Apple. People need a really powerful, really portable computer. Sure, the iBook is powerful, but it's not built for the same purposes as the PB, the iBook line is consumer minded, PBs are for the pros. Loosing the most portable, but still powerful computer in the pro line would be a huge mistake.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    with regards to PB revisions, I beg for Apple to update their TFT technlogy throughout the entire notebook line...

Apple TFT's leave much to be desired in their 'PRO' line...

pathetic resolutions (15" and espcially the 17" PB), horrible nit brightness, and narrow viewing angles plague the entire PB line...

don't get me wrong I love my PB, but when it comes to the screen, I am very dissapointed...

my brother's SONY VAIO screen shames my PB screen when comparing the two side by side...

thanks for the rant...

typos fixed
  • Reply 17 of 57
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    www.cooligy.com

Hoping for REv C powerbooks with Soiny like xbrite screen.

G5 powerbooks here we come!
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

Hoping for REv C powerbooks with Soiny like xbrite screen.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Why do people think that a backlit keyboard is something that will distinguish a laptop as a Powerbook? It's a novelty that is fine if you have the space, but in the 12" you don't. I was under the impression that they put the little raised bumps on the F and J so that you didn't have to look at the keyboard (or bumps on the D and K for you folks out there still pounding away on the IIe). If you don't know where the keys are at night, learn to type and that will solve everything and it will be a lot cheaper than buying a backlit keyboard.

I think the 12" is near perfect the way it is now. Bump the specs just a little, bigger hard drive and then add a Type I card slot and it's perfect. They're not going to get rid of it because it's the most popular Powerbook they sell. All it's really lacking in my opinion are certain expandability options. Built in FireWire 800 would also be nice, but again, if that's something you really need, you can always get the expansion for the card slot. Do that and in you're looking at the world's most perfect laptop.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

They're not going to get rid of it because it's the most popular Powerbook they sell.

The 15" is the most popular, according to one Apple rep I spoke to at MacExpo, and also it ranks in the top 10 bestsellers on the AppleStore (along with the iBook 12").