The Donald Trump Show

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't remember what it is called, but did anyone catch it last night? I really did enjoy watching it and found it to be quite entertaining. I was actually somewhat surprised by a few things, the most of which being that the people on the show are simply not intelligent. I figured that top business talent would be very bright, but these people just seemed sleezy. Along these lines, I wasn't that impressed with Trump, i thought he would be a better judge of character and, well, more intelligent.

I guess this proves my theory once again that all rich business people are sleezy. While Bill Gates might be sleezy, i'm not including him in this group because he wasn't made rich for being good at business. Apparently all that is required to be a good business person is to be sleezy. sleezy. sleezy, have i used that word enough?

A lot of the people on the show were also real-estate types. I don't even consider real-estate to be a real profession. What I get a real kick out of are real-estate brokers who work the high-end market and think they belong in the same class as the people whom they sell houses to. all they do is take the fat (ie 3% commission) from the people who are wealthy for legitimate reasons. I have 10x more respect for a social worker with his/her master's degree than for a millionaire real-estate broker.

This turned into a bit of a rant.

Regardless, i enjoyed the show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what channel is it on and is it a weekly thing?

I'll have to have my dad tape it...

Donald's family is apparently "good friends" with my grandfather (or so he likes to brag--he is 91, but this is one of his more believable assertions...) so I'm sure my brother and sister would be interested in this...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what channel is it on and is it a weekly thing?

I'll have to have my dad tape it...

Donald's family is apparently "good friends" with my grandfather (or so he likes to brag--he is 91, but this is one of his more believable assertions...) so I'm sure my brother and sister would be interested in this...

well, it was on last night after some horrible soap opera called "friends," but i believe they are moving it to wednesday night at 9 eastern. you should check NBC's website for sure.

lastly, it showed trump's apartment. talk about vanity. i would feel constant guilt if i lived to that level of luxury/tackiness.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    DAMNIT!!! I left NBC on last night!!!

I just never went into the common room!!!

oh well... I woulda seen it if i could bear watching TV for more then 20 minutes
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I started watching it, but had to turn it off after about ten minutes. The contestents reminded me too much of people I knew in business school.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I thought it was pretty entertaining. You'd think Donald would be smart enough to give the guys a break for only doubling their lemonade money. That was such an unfair contest. Who would you buy lemonade from, a dorky looking guy selling it for $2, or a hot chick in a short skirt who'll give you the drink and a kiss for $5? No shit, me too. My first thought when the women were setting up their stand was "take off some clothes, and watch the lemonade fly."
  • Reply 6 of 29
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Who would want to work for that @sshole anyway?

He has the worlds WORST combover.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I liked when ali g tried to get him to invest in the gloves. that was great.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yeah, it was pretty decent last night IMO. It's called The Apprentice, and it's on NBC Wednesdays at 9 pm. I would've laughed uncontrollably if the one guy got someone to buy a glass of lemonade (marketed as part of blah blah by Donald Trump, something about "the american dream") for $1000.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife was watching that. I wasn't going to bother with it but there's something about watching how men and women do things differently that makes it interesting for me. One woman was almost in tears within an hour.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I have to admit I got sucked into "The Apprentice" too. On the west coast the show will be on Wednesdays at 8:00, so I won't be watching anymore episodes as I am addicted to Star Trek: Enterprise (I know, I know).

When they got the lemonade assignment, the first thing my wife said was, "well that one should be easy for the girls. Wallstreet's flooded with men who want to see a little thigh."

I have to admit that I think this format works better than Survivor. For one, I think getting A JOB worth $250K a year in New York is a far better prize when you consider the Survivor folks will probably only net about half of their million after taxes.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Yeah but you have to work for trump... oof.

I'd rather be on a sunny island eating bugs.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I liked when ali g tried to get him to invest in the gloves. that was great.

that was great. But I wonder how he got an audience with him? Did HBO call and tell Trump it was all going to be a big joke? Still funny though.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i was curious as to how this character ranked in wealth...he isn't even in the top 50 in the world. (here is that list

Quote:

Gates, William H. III (pictured) -- $60.00 Billion -- USA

Ellison, Lawrence Joseph -- $47.00 Billion -- USA

Buffett, Warren Edward -- $28.00 Billion -- USA

Allen, Paul Gardner -- $28.00 Billion -- USA

Alsaud, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal -- $20.00 Billion -- Saudi Arabia

Albrecht, Theo & Karl and family -- $20.00 Billion -- Germany

Walton, S. Robson -- $20.00 Billion -- USA

Son, Masayoshi -- $19.40 Billion -- Japan

Dell, Michael -- $17.80 Billion -- USA

Thomson, Kenneth -- $16.10 Billion -- Canada

Ballmer, Steven Anthony -- $15.50 Billion -- USA

Anschutz, Philip F. -- $15.50 Billion -- USA

Bettencourt, Liliane -- $15.20 Billion -- France

Quandt, Johanna and family -- $12.80 Billion -- Germany

Berlusconi, Silvio -- $12.80 Billion -- Italy

Arnault, Bernard -- $12.60 Billion -- France

Redstone, Sumner M. -- $12.10 Billion -- USA

Kluge, John Werner -- $11.90 Billion -- USA

Kirch, Leo -- $11.50 Billion -- Germany

Li Ka-shing -- $11.30 Billion -- Hong Kong

Murdoch, Keith Rupert (pictured) -- $9.40 Billion -- USA

Takei, Yasuo -- $9.30 Billion -- Japan

Bertarelli, Ernesto -- $9.10 Billion -- Switzerland

Kwok brothers, Walter, Thomas, Raymond -- $9.00 Billion -- Hong Kong

Rausing, Gad and family -- $9.00 Billion -- Sweden

Lee Shau Kee -- $8.60 Billion -- Hong Kong

Haefner, Walter -- $8.30 Billion -- Switzerland

Turner, Robert E. (Ted) -- $8.30 Billion -- USA

Karamehmet, Mehmet and family -- $8.00 Billion -- Turkey

Olayan, Suliman -- $8.00 Billion -- Saudi Arabia

Slim Helu, Carlos -- $7.90 Billion -- Mexico

Pinault, Francois -- $7.80 Billion -- France

Persson, Stefan -- $7.70 Billion -- Sweden

Schwab, Charles R. -- $7.50 Billion -- USA

Rausing, Hans -- $7.40 Billion -- Sweden

Johnson, Abigail -- $7.40 Billion -- USA

Saji, Nobutada and family -- $7.10 Billion -- Japan

Premji, Azim and family -- $6.90 Billion -- India

Tsai Wan-lin and family -- $6.70 Billion -- Taiwan

Ambani, Dhirubhai and family -- $6.60 Billion -- India

Sidhu, Sanjiv -- $6.50 Billion -- USA

Marinho, Roberto and family -- $6.40 Billion -- Brazil

Landolt, Pierre and family -- $6.30 Billion -- Switzerland

Otto, Michael and family -- $6.30 Billion -- Germany

Halley, Paul-Louis and family -- $6.30 Billion -- France

Ito, Masatoshi -- $6.20 Billion -- Japan

Bezos, Jeffrey P. (pictured) -- $6.10 Billion -- USA

Mccaw, Craig O. -- $6.10 Billion -- USA

von Siemens family -- $5.90 Billion -- Germany

Kerkorian, Kirk -- $5.90 Billion -- USA

Filo, David -- $5.90 Billion -- USA

• Reply 14 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Per capita Hong Kong seems to have every other country beat. Go Hong Kong!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Gosh, i never supected that Larry Ellison, was rated number 2 and was only slighty behind Bill Gates.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Gosh, i never supected that Larry Ellison, was rated number 2 and was only slighty behind Bill Gates.

$13 billion, slightly!!

of course you are right tho, one bad day on the market for M$ and a good one for oracle... those numbers could flip-flop...
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

I think getting A JOB worth $250K a year in New York is a far better prize when you consider the Survivor folks will probably only net about half of their million after taxes.

That's what I thought too, but if you listen carefully to what Trump said about the prize, it's a 250K/year job for ONE year. Do the simple math, and that's 250K, pre-tax.

My guess is, they'll decide whether you're for real (as opposed to just a game show contestant) during that one year period.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I agree, the man has incredibly bad hair. I wouldn't go on a reality show if I was trying to make it in the business world. All of that for 250K? Not worth it. I agree too that they all seem to be sleaze balls, guess I will never make it in the business world.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    NBC is rerunning it right now.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Those people aren't quite straight in the head.

Maybe I'd be more successful if I was slightly insane. \

It IS disturbing to think that I'm a couple years older than several of them and I make $30k a year while they own companies and work for Fortune 500 companies.