iChat AV install problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
First off, I am running panther 10.3.2 on a 1ghz PB. Okay, I did something stupid: I simply deleted ichat from the Applications folder and then tried to install ichat AV. I get this:

iChatAV cannot be installed on this computer.

This system cannot use this software.

It gives no other explaination. I already fixed permissions and tried deleting my cache. Thanks in advance for any help.

Slack

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Where did you get it from? Your software CD? If that's the case, how did you go about installing it? A little more info would be helpful.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Reinstall Panther. Choose the Upgrade option and it'll automatically pick out anything that is missing and only install that.

Alternatively, you could use Pacifist to manually extract iChat from the OS Install CDs.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I got iChat AV from apple.com. That is the frustrating part. I paid 30 dollars for something that won't install. I tried reinstalling panther, but it said that I already have a newer version. I tried pacifist, but I can't find the ichat pkg anywhere on the first 2 discs. I'm guessing it must be on disc 3, which I don't have. Is there an ftp that I could download the pkg from?

Mick
  • Reply 4 of 7
    No. Do what Brad said. Re install Panther and choose Upgrade. Don't try to download it or anything like that, make life easy.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Why did you pay $30 for something that comes with Panther? The paid version is for those who didn't upgrade from Jaguar.

Use Pacifist. Click "Open Mac OS X Install Packages". Insert the cds as requested. When it finishes, open "Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware.mpkg"

Then open "Contents of Essentials.pkg"

Then select "iChat.app"
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I don't have the 3rd disk that it requires. And it wouldn't allow me to install it without the 3rd disk. I tried to use the install disk with the upgrade option and it wouldn't allow me. I tried to restore and now it will not boot up period. It just sits there at the bootup screen and does not advance. I am seriously about to get hostile with this laptop.

Mick
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ok... wtf?

why don't you have the 3rd disk?