Garageband Community Site

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello all. Please check out GarageBandUser.com

I am attempting to start a community site to share our knowledge of this product and I am looking for those interested in helping to develop content and help admin the site.

Any feedback or recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I am going to say what I said at the MacNN forums ( and maybe a little more):

That site design does not work it. The fonts are too small, and the content area is not clear enough (in colours and in font size). Also, what is with all that <TABLE> stuff for the design? GAH! It is 2004, let's open our mind and implement some CSS-design and XHTML-content for the internet. The future is here, embrace it, as if it were your kin.

But, yeah, that site, it does not work it. You should make it work it. I don't understand the point of it. What am I doing there? My eye went immediately to below the banner, and I was just confused.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

[i]

Any feedback or recommendations is appreciated.

[email protected] [/B]

"Worst Site Design Ever" award goes to GarageBandUser!

Apparently Musicians do have special eyesight capabilities that allow them to read low-contrast text in ridiculously small fonts and their mental capacity let's them sort out an pseudo-information onslaught that would not even fit on the huge frontpage of a oldfashioned newspaper ... and this in a measly little browser window.

If Apple UIs would look like GarageBandUser the Mac would be simply extinct.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Man, you folks are tough. How come on the Internet politeness has been lost? If you don't like the design of the guy's Web site, why don't you tell him nicely?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Man, you folks are tough. How come on the Internet politeness has been lost? If you don't like the design of the guy's Web site, why don't you tell him nicely?

I agree.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    So far, there are about 4 GarageBand Community Sites. All of them are either designed poorly, too confusing, or both! I don't see how people are going to check four sites on a regular basis. Maybe these people should pull their resources together? Maybe?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Whenever Apple releases some kind of new product dozens of sites spring into like tryinge to piggyback on that (e. g. iSight/iChatAV). They are always all the same (news, "community", forus etc. etc. tada). That's like fungus, like a desease. What we need is just a little more ... we can take care of GarageBand on AI ... or MacNN ... or wherever. Just spider those websites and replace the work GarageBane with some other name of an Apple (or MS) product and you can put it up again. Where's the point?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    The site design is a template with the CMS. It is not finished. I agree on all points that have been made and thank you for the feedback. Any other ideas you have are appreciated.

As far as setting up a site for GB if people don't want it they will not come. But so far people are coming to the site and I have been able to help them and get help because of the people I have met already.

I never see it getting as large as Mac NN or this site. But when they started they were ridiculed as well.

I mean its a free site trying to help people.

If you have time to help or just want to point out some deisgn issues then feel free to tell me I will listen. If you think the idea is stupid hey tell me that too.

I am trying to bring others together to help. To put collective resources in one pool. That would be awesome and the best way to do things. I am not in it to make money off of "piggy-backing". I have a day job. Thats where some others might not want to work on the site.

Trust me the sites design will be updated and it will continue if there is interest. We'll see how it goes. I think this will be a great app and will help us get another slice of the computer user pie as a mac community.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Man, go easy on they guy... the site isn't that bad. I was expecting primary colors and <blink> tags by the way everyone is talking. I like the idea, and keep up the good work.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Thanks, I did fix the contrast in the text. It should be a little easier on the eyes for now until I can put together a complete design.

I anyone has any ideas let me know. You will get FULL credit for anything done.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I, too, think the site looks fine. Going by Nebagakid and BNOYHTUAWB's initial posts, I was also expecting some horrendous, amateurish-looking thing.

It's not, and the gratuitous meanness they showed is kinda baffling and out of nowhere. They actually - BNOYHTUAWB in particular - seem offended by the whole idea.

Odd.

Here's something cool to remember: DON'T GO THERE THEN, if it's such a burr in your butt. Jeez.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Here's something cool to remember: DON'T GO THERE THEN, if it's such a burr in your butt. Jeez.

I was curious, and giving my opinion, and hopefully constructive criticism, on the web site. I would be happy to help, if I was giving some source/template stuff. I mean, I have nothing else to do... Just gimmie an outline of the site.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Thanks for the offer. I am still deciding upon what final CMS to use. I don't want to write one from scratch. I would like to be able to use XML and RSS but also have forums and file-linking and such.

I am also assembling some royalty free images to use for source.

Thanks again for the offer!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    MovableType is good.

MacThemes.net used it, you can check what they did to use the traditional Blog system as a CMS for a site. I used on My Site