Deleting Languages safely

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just installed panther on my G3 iMac. I noticed many languages and asian font being installed which took 15 minutes. I assume they take up a lot of space. Is there a saf way to delete them or should I just leave it alone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you should wipe and re-install.... this time be sure to customize and remove any extra options that you dont need...

this is the best way to do it...

of course you could just manually go through the library and system folders and take out any non-en localized files...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you should wipe and re-install.... this time be sure to customize and remove any extra options that you dont need...

this is the best way to do it...

of course you could just manually go through the library and system folders and take out any non-en localized files...

I would prefer not reinstalling, especially since everything seems to be working fine. I would think I could just trash any folders labeled german, french, etc but I want to make sure before I do it. I asked my AIMUG group also about it................
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Delocalizer works fine. All it is is a GUI for a 'find / -name xxx.lproj -delete', where xxx=the localisation you want removing. I use it all the time prepping images for NetRestore distribution, and can lose 10% from the loadset - fantastic.

Having said that, how big's your HD? Do you really need to save 600MB?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

Delocalizer works fine. All it is is a GUI for a 'find / -name xxx.lproj -delete', where xxx=the localisation you want removing. I use it all the time prepping images for NetRestore distribution, and can lose 10% from the loadset - fantastic.

Having said that, how big's your HD? Do you really need to save 600MB?

My HD is 10 GB. Too be honest I doubt I really need the room, although Randy Singer said that the software can slow things down.