slow memory?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed a PNY 256Mb PC100 chip in my G3 imac. I ran the system profiler to make sure it was installed OK and I got a message saying that the RAM I installed is slower the 64Mb RAM already in there.

The PNY RAM is PC100-322S

The installed RAM is PC100-222S

Is this a problem? I could return the PNY and buy a different brand if this makes a difference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Shouldn't be a problem, but more of an annoyance. If I were you I would try and install all the same speed ram in your machine, but that's just me. It won't cause problems, it won't hurt anything, but your speed will suffer a tiny bit. And when I say tiny, I mean an amount that you will probably never notice. I believe I have a stick of PNY ram in my cube and I've never had problems with it. Some people on this board swear by certain brands of ram (Crucial comes to mind), but the PNY should be fine. If your not worried about money, than go for a faster chip, but if your budget is stretched thin, sticking with the PNY will be just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thanks guys, the imac is working just fine so I should probably leave well enough alone.

Anyone here getting a popup from a company alled enigma about anti-spy software? I figure its just a clever ad, but who knows?