new ipod commercial and super bowl ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
who else LOVES the new ipod commercial? i hoep it airs during the superbowl, along with some other ad they can whip up. i wouldnt mind seeing all 4 ads aired, even though it'd be expensive. i think it'd be a good move for apple to make a big statement with commercials.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Why waste the money to show 4 commercials that are essentially the same thing (dancing silhouettes to one-hit-wonders on colored backgrounds).

I figure one well-placed one would suffice.

OR, a new one altogether. Perhaps something totally different and actually showing an iPod in all its white and chrome glory?

• Reply 2 of 21
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    or how about one where they actually SHOW the INTERFACE of their apps...

garageband comes to mind...

I wonder why they didn't show any commercials like they have in the past for new products....
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    How about...no one wants to see the interface of an app. They want to see silhouetted people dancing to one hit wonders. And a 30 second super bowl add isn't nearly long enough to show how awesome the interface of Apple's apps is. Take it from me, people get bored with the interface, but one hit wonders will bring in the $$. People get interested in the iPod, want to try one out, go into an Apple store, than get sold on the UI there, not in a commercial.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

How about...no one wants to see the interface of an app. They want to see silhouetted people dancing to one hit wonders. And a 30 second super bowl add isn't nearly long enough to show how awesome the interface of Apple's apps is. Take it from me, people get bored with the interface, but one hit wonders will bring in the $$. People get interested in the iPod, want to try one out, go into an Apple store, than get sold on the UI there, not in a commercial.

There hasn't really been a commercial that showed off all the Aqua and Quartz goodness. The average Windows user is going to see the genie effect, Exposé, and all that other stuff and compare it to Windows because that's all he knows...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    The dancing shiloutte commercials/print ads for the iPod were VERY successful and helped sell 740,000 iPods in November and December! Since there's to be a Pepsi commercial for iTMS/iPod, Apple may not need to run anything in that regards. They haven't participated during the broadcast in years. Unless they have a new product up their sleeves. Ad Age shows no Apple commercial on the docket for the Super-bowl as of yet.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    They already have Pepsi (Pepé) running an Ad for their iTunes Music Store. The only foreseeable reason to run an Apple Ad is to do a 1084-esque thing. But, I mean, there would be many more rumors if they were working on something like that.

I mean, we would all love to see an Apple Ad in the Superbowl, but it just ain't gonna happen, y'know? Apple television ads, they are not the best at getting information out, rarely do they have narration: the iMac ad with the dude making faces at it in the window? That just created chatter, which is good. But, I don't know if Apple would want to just create chatter on SuperBowl commercial.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

There hasn't really been a commercial that showed off all the Aqua and Quartz goodness. The average Windows user is going to see the genie effect, Exposé, and all that other stuff and compare it to Windows because that's all he knows...

No, the average windows user is going to see the genie effect, expose, and all the other stuff and think to themselves, "what a bunch of useless eye candy, I'm glad I have a machine that gets work done and isn't a toy." You can't show screenshots of a product in 30 seconds and expect it to sell. No PC company does this either. With the iPod, apple has got style and reputation going for them, and it works.

As for a superbowl ad, not going to happen, at least besides the pepsi ad. They havnt done one in years (Hal9000?) why would they now?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    What about 4 sillouettes, 3 with different memory iPods, and a kid with the minIpod.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I bet there will be an Apple add touting the iPod mini, Apple just hasnt started the commercial yet because shipping times for ordered iPod mini's is February 16th. The Superbowl is closer to this time so either Apple or Apple and Pepsi will run an add showing the mini and the promo deal...

I was just thinking about how hard it will be to make a good add about an Apple/Pepsi promotion such as this one. Apple is trying to drum up business for its legal music purchasing store while giving away songs for free...these songs were paid for but to me thats like mocking your own strategy....I understand this is supposed to get people to try out the iTMS but to some people the idea may come off as backwards.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

No, the average windows user is going to see the genie effect, expose, and all the other stuff and think to themselves, "what a bunch of useless eye candy, I'm glad I have a machine that gets work done and isn't a toy." You can't show screenshots of a product in 30 seconds and expect it to sell. No PC company does this either. With the iPod, apple has got style and reputation going for them, and it works.

The cynical PoV is the one of the diehard Windows user.

BMW 7-series ad features iDrive extensively.

AOL ads feature their client interface.

Ads tend to show off what a company has over the competition. Eye-candy is easy to show off. I'm not saying Apple should make commercials that *just* show-off Quartz/Aqua, but they should occasionally show a Mac actually being used (like in the iPhoto commercial), unlike in the G5 commercial where the guy gets blown out the side of his house.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

As for a superbowl ad, not going to happen, at least besides the pepsi ad. They havnt done one in years (Hal9000?) why would they now?

superbowl is happening... and dogcow dude what you just said describes apples marketing for the last 3 years and where has it got them? We need to show OS X now that it is mature and ready. A lot of people don't even know what the mac interface looks like.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

How about...no one wants to see the interface of an app. They want to see silhouetted people dancing to one hit wonders. And a 30 second super bowl add isn't nearly long enough to show how awesome the interface of Apple's apps is.\\

If I'm not mistaken, the very first iPod commercial with the dancing guy in the apartment demonstrated the interface. Or at least it showed how easy it was to transfer music to the iPod.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

If I'm not mistaken, the very first iPod commercial with the dancing guy in the apartment demonstrated the interface. Or at least it showed how easy it was to transfer music to the iPod.

Correct, and I like that one the most. More of those types and less dancing and stupid people BSing their Apple love stories.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    iDrive?!? Ech.

Apple needs a cool ad to display the new macs and 10.3. How they would do it, I have no idea.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911 superbowl is happening... and dogcow dude what you just said describes apples marketing for the last 3 years and where has it got them? We need to show OS X now that it is mature and ready. A lot of people don't even know what the mac interface looks like.

Best post ever, if I may be so bold...

A man after my own heart.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

iDrive?!? Ech.

Apple needs a cool ad to display the new macs and 10.3. How they would do it, I have no idea.

I think I wouldn't be completely offended by a neat, stylish quick-cut type of thing, where gorgeous shots of gorgeous hardware is shown, interspersed with a camera plugging into an iBook, iPhotos launching, scrolling through TONS of photos and a quick pan across the "red eye", "sepia", etc. buttons (so people know that in addition to displaying photos, you can fix/tweak them), show a cursor clicking into iDVD, show a quick-cut montage of the various themes (I'm talking split-second, just enough to realize "hey, that's a cool wedding theme" or "that thing with the rear-view mirror looks awesome!". Same with iMovie (digital camcorder is shown plugged into an iMac or PowerBook, the clip well is shown loading up with clips and just do a quick-cut montage of the various iMovie main features (again, only a few seconds).

Be doing all that in between shots (swooping camera, panning camera, zooming camera, etc. depending on product) of all the hardware: iBooks, iMacs, an eMac on a stand, the three PowerBooks side-by-side, a G5 with a big 23" display beside it, the iPod, an iSight, GarageBand (show a keyboard plugged into a Mac and a shot of the GarageBand window, where it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that music is indeed being made/recorded/played).

Interspersed in with all THAT, show OS X: the Dock magnifying, Exposé, fast-using switching cube transition, etc.

Basically, just a full-tilt BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM for 30 seconds: show the hardware looking sexy. Between shots of that, show the iApps doing a couple of things (for those who say "pscates, what can you show in that amount of time...come on!": don't be dense: video game, car and soft drink commercials pack A LOT of stuff in all the damn time, giving you just a brief glimpse of a feature, BUT ENOUGH THAT YOU CAN INSTANTLY FIGURE OUT WHAT IS BEING IMPLIED OR SHOWN.

It isn't hard.

Between shots of the hardware and the iApps, you throw in some of the cooler, Panther marquee features (listed above).

Put it to some snazzy, heart-pumping music, film it in a cool, modern and watchable style with great colors, titles, camera work, etc.

And the very end, just show the Apple logo, and maybe even www.apple.com below it? Maybe even some kind of reference to how 2004 won't be like 1984?

No voiceover needed, because, if done right, most people will get a sense of what's what.

Anyway, that's how I'd go about it. Hit everyone over the head with everything gorgeous and sexy for 30-seconds straight.

Oh yeah: and generous footage of the iPod and the iTMS too. Make damn sure everyone out there watching knows EXACTLY who it is currently owning and kicking ass in the whole digital music player/buying/listening arena.

You know what? Marry the two: show all my crap above on the same color backgrounds as used in all the iPod/iTMS dancing silhouette ads. In the past several months, people have come to associate those colors and stuff with the iPod commercials, so they're thinking "oh, a new iPod commercial...". Except this time, they see EVERYTHING! After about 2-3 seconds of the dancing chick, lay it on 'em and visually beat them over the head for the next 27 seconds.

In fact, start the commercial off that way: pink background, a silhouette of someone dancing (shown from the waist up), pan to the right and you see the silhouette of the LCD iMac beside her. It quickly morphs into a real shot...which leads to the other shots and remainder of commercial.

It can be done in 30 seconds. I can sit here and envision it in my head in 30 seconds easily, so it can be done. And if not, then buy a damn full minute and stretch it out a bit and linger on some products a tad longer then.

• Reply 17 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    In other words Pscates, similar to the product videos Apple rolls out?

There's the swooping camera action, hard pumping music, quick edits etc.

Of course it would be edited down to 30 seconds(I think we can do without Rubenstein and Schiller's presence).
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Exactly. I love how they make the products look really beautiful and cool in those intro videos. I was going to mention that in my post above, but forgot.

Doors opening, trays popping out, iMac's head swiveling around, PowerBook opening up and keys lighting up, G5's side panel coming off, lights blinking, ports panned by, close-ups of aluminum, chrome, white plastic, the new mini iPods, etc.

And show the Apple logo anytime you get a chance too (glowing on the PowerBooks, on the side of the G5, back of the iPod, etc.

It would make ME go out a buy a Mac! I'd say "screw this ballgame...".

IT COULDN'T BE ONE BIT WORSE OR ANY LAMER THAN ANYTHING THEY'RE DOING NOW. And it completely beats the Switch, Middle Seat, Blasting-Through-The-Side-Of-The-House efforts all to hell.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Doors opening, trays popping out, iMac's head swiveling around, PowerBook opening up and keys lighting up, G5's side panel coming off, lights blinking, ports panned by, close-ups of aluminum, chrome, white plastic, the new mini iPods, etc.

IT COULDN'T BE ONE BIT WORSE OR ANY LAMER THAN ANYTHING THEY'RE DOING NOW. And it completely beats the Switch, Middle Seat, Blasting-Through-The-Side-Of-The-House efforts all to hell.

In these two videos....one I put together last year and an unreleased Apple promo, there are two things here that I think Apple could use. 1) Is the ammount of information given in my 36 second spot is more than Apple gives. 2) The speed and ammount of visuals shown in the second link's video is what pscates may be thinking of when he means overwhelm with images that can be internalized even at high speed.

I'm not saying either of these "ads" are good, but they contain elements that Apple could and should use in their own ads.

First "Ad"

Apple Promo
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Any thoughts on the above ads?