LOL Sunday on FOX

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, what does everybody think of the Sunday-night lineup (aka the LOL SUNDAY NIGHT) on FOX? it starts with the Simpsons, then the Bernie Mac show, then Malcolm in the Middle, then Arrested Development.

Personally, I think it is great Sunday night TV. Although, I don't watch the Bernie Mac Show

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I don't watch any of those shows. Will be watching American Dreams, taping Cold Case and 10-8 since they are all on at 8pm.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I am a long time lover of the Simpsons, never seen Bernie Mac, Malcolm has gotten worse since it began, it used to be funnier, and I saw arrested development for the first time last week and laughed out loud at a few parts. The show has promise. I might even watch it again.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Simpsons. The Packers game was NOT FUNNY!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    The Packers game was funnier than the Simpsons. Actually that was one of the worst Simpsons episodes ever.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    fox always screws up promising programming. oh well...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Fox Sunday nights suck. I can't wait for The One True Network® to start up with their full Sunday night broadcast. Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Ali G. Booyakasha.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Frankly, the only show that doesn't make me laugh out of those is The Simpsons. Sorry for that, but it's just a pastiche now, too self-referential for too long, too many celebrity voices, jokes linger for too long, too much Homer screaming for laughs, and the animation isn't as humorous.

The Simpsons has jumped the shark.

Malcolm isn't as funny (speaking of jumping the shark -- a baby?), but it's still pretty funny. Bernie Mac is very funny often if you can keep up. Arrested Development still has the new show shine to it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Malcom is awesome, i've always loved that one. Same with the simpsons of course. Did anyone watch Oliver Bean when it was on? I LOVED that show too. And of course futurama, which had a much longer stint. I hear it is on the cartoon network now, but I don't have cable.

I haven't really given bernie mac a shot, i'm too upset that it isn't Oliver Bean.

As a side note, i'm watching the first part of Simpson's season one DVD right now (day-after-thanksgiving best buy $11.99 special). The show is sooo much different now. Bart used to be a serious brat and homer was very very mean.

Furthermore, did you know the Simpsons started as a christmas special? That Smithers was black? I've noticed lots of little differences. Most of the supporting characters didn't even exist. I recommend getting season one on DVD.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The Simpsons started as a Groening skit on the Tracey Ullman Show and Fox developed it as a series when people responded to it better than the rest of the show. They gave Groening and Sam Simon free reign for 13 episodes, thinking it would be a mid-season replacement and that it would be cancelled way before they got to episode 13.

Bart was the focus of the show originally, as he was in the Ullman sketches. He was supposed to be a juvenile delinquent. Homer wasn't so much stupid and insensitive as he was a typical football-loving guy's guy. They changed the focus of the show to Homer during the second season I think, when viewers related to him more and Bart's shock value had worn thin.

One of the reasons that Sam Simon doesn't like the show any more is that he feels that Homer is too stupid and too insenstive and cruel now. In early episodes, Homer does stuff like brings the family into therapy because he's embarassed by them. He's a lot more in touch in early episodes, and is sort of a caricature of himself now.

[added]Smithers wasn't supposed to be black, but in one early episode the animation/color at the time painted him that way since he wasn't enough of a mainstay to know any better. I think it was Groening who said to imagine that he just got back from a long tropical vacation when you see that episode.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Tacos.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    well, it would seem that The SImpsons is not as ****ing horrible and going downhill as everyone tries to make it out to be..
  • Reply 12 of 13
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I try to boycott all things Rupert Murdoch. HBO, however, makes it very easy for me to always miss Fox on Sundays...and Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Frid, Sat...

...okay, every once in awhile I watch a little Football on Fox.