HP and Apple To Add WMA Support To iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Take a look...

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/1...id=173&tid=187

This could help sales...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    And you know how much I want to use wmv.....
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Well I am wishing for OGG myself.

If/When they add OGG support, I am sold.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Is WMA superior ro AAC?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Apple does not need WMA support in order to improve iPod sales. That, if anything, would hurt iTunes Music Store sales. Besides, no one on the Mac side cares for WMA files and PC users already have access to iTunes for Windows. Most users out there on both platforms have vast libraries of MP3 files, which the iPod supports since it was introduced over 2 years ago. And iTunes allows for coding in both AAC and MP3, so WMA is not needed at all.

HP will bring to market consumer PCs and laptops with iTunes (and Quicktime) pre-installed, in order to support their upcoming blue iHPod (or whatever). Adding support for WMA would be suicide for Apple and not at all needed for HP.

That said, I think the article linked at /. is ludicrous at best.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    This came from Paul Thurrot. The operation of Winsupersite. He knows nothing about Macs nor does he have any inside connections who would. Note how he says "Superior WMA" format. His agenda has always been to push Microsoft over all else. You should here what he "distills" OSX down to when he compares it against WinXP. The mere fact that he says this will happen makes me feel good because no I know it won't.

There is no need to support WMA. Apple would in effect deal a death blow to AAC and it would cost more money to boot. If WMA is so "superior" then let people burn redbook and then rerip if they want to use iPods.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    What hmurchinson said. It's a baseless lie from a wintroll. Here's the original headline:

Quote:

Exclusive: HP Working to Get WMA on iPod

HP's blockbuster deal with Apple will have one exciting side effect, I discovered today. The company will be working with Apple to add support for Microsoft's superior Windows Media Audio (WMA) format to the iPod by mid-year. You heard it here first.

Yeah, we heard it from you first because you made it up, Thurrott.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Well don't kill the messenger.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *stab stab stab stab*
  • Reply 9 of 32
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...12010452.shtml

Quote:

Slashdot notes that a Mr. Paul Thurrott writes "The company [HP] will be working with Apple to add support for Microsoft's superior Windows Media Audio (WMA) format to the iPod by mid-year."

Readers should note that Paul Thurrott has historically had an anti-Mac bias with the dubious distinction of being unable to correctly draw a graph.

In November, when asked about supporting WMA, Steve Jobs said "We decided to support an open audio codec standard [AAC] rather than a proprietary one." .... "That's our plan and we're sticking to it. We're feeling real good about it too

• Reply 10 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It's complete BS. Apple's holding the cards in this deal (note the one-way exclusivity agreement preventing HP from entering into agreements with other manufacturers but not preventing Apple). There's no reason for them to do this and since they're the ones in control, it's not gonna happen.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Is WMA superior ro AAC?

African bongo drums are superioer in digital quality to WMA.

'nuff said.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "The company [HP] will be working with Apple to add support for Microsoft's superior [emphasis mine] Windows Media Audio (WMA) format to the iPod by mid-year."

Uh, superior?! That's just flat out wrong. AAC at the same bitrate is audible superior to WMA, less warbling in dense arrangements and less shrill treble and less distorted bass. At least that's been my impression.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    What's the point. Encrypted WMA files don't play on MP3 players, because the decripting takes to much battery power. And only complete idiots would rip a cd into wma format.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I don't see why adding non-drm'ed WMA files support to the iPod and iTunes is a bad thing. There are people out there that have lots of songs ripped into WMA and by refusing to use the formats, Apple is preventing them from buying an iPod or using iTunes. iPod doesn't need to support Napster files or MusicMatch store song, but regular user created WMA files shouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the problem is, if you do one, why not do the other?

as far as apple is concerned Windows Media doesn't exist (until they have a larger influence on the (legal) music downloading industry)

iTunes has what? 80% of the legal market and 30% overall?

why give consumers ANY reason to continue using that format?

Windows Media is closed and should be boycotted....
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

the problem is, if you do one, why not do the other?

as far as apple is concerned Windows Media doesn't exist (until they have a larger influence on the (legal) music downloading industry)

iTunes has what? 80% of the legal market and 30% overall?

why give consumers ANY reason to continue using that format?

Windows Media is closed and should be boycotted....

No, it is giving them a reason to start using iTunes and the iPod. Once they are in iTunes why would them continue to use WMP?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Inertia.

You have to break the inertia first. Apple is getting there, but until that forward momentum is stopped for WMA, it would be suicide to include it.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

No, it is giving them a reason to start using iTunes and the iPod. Once they are in iTunes why would them continue to use WMP?

Why would they use AAC at all when they can use WMA encoding and just go with the flow...to the tune of 90% of desktop users.

The iPod and iTMS can live on their own merits. They're luring people already. Bending over for Microsoft would be a step backward. It might increase iPod adoption, but it would severely weaken the case for other portable manufacturers to support AAC and FairPlay. Software developers too.

It's "business innovation" vs real innovation. See Dell as an example. Dells sleeps with the biggest jocks in the industry (Intel and MS) for security.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    iTunes wouldn't rip music into WMA, just play it back and send it to the iPod. I understand the issue for MS breaking support, but I don't see people ripping in WMP and then moving the music to iTunes. More likely iTunes would play what they have and rip any new music into AAC or MP3. I don't think it's a "must do or die" type of move, but another thing that Apple can do to continue to drive iPod sales. I also can understand why Apple wouldn't do it and I don't really blame for it. I just think it's a added bonus.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

iTunes wouldn't rip music into WMA, just play it back and send it to the iPod. I understand the issue for MS breaking support, but I don't see people ripping in WMP and then moving the music to iTunes. More likely iTunes would play what they have and rip any new music into AAC or MP3. I don't think it's a "must do or die" type of move, but another thing that Apple can do to continue to drive iPod sales. I also can understand why Apple wouldn't do it and I don't really blame for it. I just think it's a added bonus.

So people have to re-rip their music. Guess what the default is in iTunes? .aac. Why? Because then the only player people can currently use is the iPod. Make the best music store and get those interested in downloading music legally. Make the best music playing software and get anyone who wants to listen to music on a portable player. It's important for Apple to make people encode in .aac and not playing WMA in iTunes is the best way to do that.